UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Petronas v Castrol Edge v Millers Nanodrive, dyno results

Old 08-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Petronas v Castrol Edge v Millers Nanodrive, dyno results

Well my car is due it's yearly oil change, so it happens is Ang's car, last year we used Petronas from Si with the oil deal, this year after seeing the recent oil threads I decided to try Castrol Edge (man that stuff is expensive) then to put the cat among the pigeons after talking to a rep he dropped off some Millers Nanodrive buck shee to see if i liked it (now that stuff is very expensive), which got me thinking as there is a Dyno just around the corner it would be rude not to see if there is difference, so I had a quick word with the tuner who was also interested to see the results, before the test we honestly thought there would be little/no difference,

All for fun and curiosity

car,
2000 MY JDM
Fujita CAI
32mm uk exhaust mod
tappet's set by the tappet guru at 1 thou under spec
gear oil Honda MTF 3
diff oil Honda GL-5
Tyres falken 452 245-40-17 at 34psi
temp in Dyno booth 23.C

car was strapped to the Dyno and 4 20lt barrels of water placed in the boot, the car was not removed and re-strapped between the oil changes, it was then run up to temp and driven on the rollers to warm the trans and diff, he then did 6 power runs to check everything was ok and get a reading to work from,

the best and worst below this is with Petronas 1 year old and 4k with a wynns oil additive put in at the same time as the oil

Name:  Dynorun016_zps8f7ab947.jpg
Views: 11430
Size:  443.9 KB

The oil was then drained, and replaced with Castrol Edge the same warm up carried out then the power run, at first we thought there was a problem so he repeated it a further 5 times and came up with the same reading every time

Name:  Dynorun014_zpsdfbc0a92.jpg
Views: 11271
Size:  219.6 KB

Name:  Dynorun013_zpsd3ad3432.jpg
Views: 11539
Size:  191.1 KB

Then we drained the Edge (to put in Ang's don't want to waste it) and put in the Millers Nanodrive and did the same warm up again

Name:  Dynorun010_zps51f1e525.jpg
Views: 11387
Size:  455.3 KB

Name:  Dynorun011_zps5ff115c1.jpg
Views: 11162
Size:  200.2 KB

and old oil with wynns and nano

Name:  Dynorun008_zps8d8d7489.jpg
Views: 11107
Size:  484.7 KB
Old 08-09-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Great info, thanks.
I've got nano in the daily and love it, only engine oil change I've actually felt a difference that I'm sure wasn't a placebo.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. Looks like the Millers allows the car to generate more bhp? Why would that be? Better viscosity or friction modifiers allowing the engine to run free-er?
Old 08-09-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BuggyofMildDiscomfort
Great info, thanks.
I've got nano in the daily and love it, only engine oil change I've actually felt a difference that I'm sure wasn't a placebo.
Ha I've only done 2 miles since putting in the nano as I feel sorry for the car after the test's, Christ it don't half sound different when you stand next to your car (especially with someone else's foot on the loud pedal) as opposed to driving it,
Old 08-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by sound_wave
Interesting. Looks like the Millers allows the car to generate more bhp? Why would that be? Better viscosity or friction modifiers allowing the engine to run free-er?
It's the difference around Vtec with Edge that had us baffled
Old 08-09-2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by sound_wave
And more consistent torque. I've been an Edge lover since owning, but now... Millers is where I'm going.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting read. I'l try Syntium 3000 again as I still have 5 litres left. I need to get it used. However, my car burnt a little bit of Syntium after a few thousand miles. Edge level is still the same.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:15 PM

Got to be honest I chuckled a bit when I saw the thread title. But that is crazy results from just different oil, I have a feeling this thread will be referred to for years to come now...

on a side note I always thought people used castrol edge to quieten the tct down a bit, surely that would mean it was a bit thicker than the rest?
Old 08-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by DanBes2k
Got to be honest I chuckled a bit when I saw the thread title. But that is crazy results from just different oil, I have a feeling this thread will be referred to for years to come now...

on a side note I always thought people used castrol edge to quieten the tct down a bit, surely that would mean it was a bit thicker than the rest?
We chuckled a bit when we were talking about doing it then it took me 2 days to pluck up courage to post it but hey you gotta have a bit of fun now and then,
Old 08-09-2013, 03:29 PM

Very interesting thread.

Guess who just bought his first ever batch of Edge ready for the arrival of his new engine.......... wish you'd have had the balls to post it a few days ago

How much does the guy charge for the dyno near you mate? Would like to get mine on a dyno once it's all sorted.

Quick Reply: Petronas v Castrol Edge v Millers Nanodrive, dyno results