UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Polybush - Compliance Bushes

Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polybush - Compliance Bushes

So now that I have powder coated every suspension arm, I intend to start fitting my polly bushes next week..

Before I do I wanted to get people feed back on what the polly bush, compliance bushes are like? I remember reading someone slating them somewhere..

I would like to know if anyone has actually fitted them and if so what, if any issues they've had? Or is it just that they won't last as long as say a Mugen set?

As always, feedback is appreciated.!
Old 02-06-2014, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Chippo is the man for this question
Old 02-06-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fitted them, wasn't happy from the time I put them on but thought I've bought em so I'll try them. Conclusion. They restrict the wishbone movement massively.
I've subsequently fitted the new powerflex compliance bushes which I'm really happy with. It wasn't until I put these on that it really hit just how restrictive the polybush ones are.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by yorkies2k
I fitted them, wasn't happy from the time I put them on but thought I've bought em so I'll try them. Conclusion. They restrict the wishbone movement massively. I've subsequently fitted the new powerflex compliance bushes which I'm really happy with. It wasn't until I put these on that it really hit just how restrictive the polybush ones are.
Thanks for your feedback.

So they restrict the wishbone movement up and down? How does that translate to driving feedback? Harder bumpier ride?
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's harder generally as the wishbone simply doesn't move up and down in the normal manner.

Trial fit it to the car with the polybush in. First thing you'll notice is you will struggle to get it in place correctly as there is no play to manipulate it around. Once in place try moving it up and down. You'll soon come to your own conclusion. The power flex bush is in a different league
Old 02-06-2014, 12:19 PM

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

I fitted one , it was absolutely rubbish , it needs to do what the name implies and it does not , the vertical movement was zip at the hub almost solid.
So I fitted the power flex units which are based on ball type bearing a bit like a rose joint, which worked fine and gave me the free movement of the lower wishbone.
Have read of my conundrum thread
Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whilst I've not fitted them, one only has to look at the design to realise they aren't fit for purpose.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by yorkies2k
It's harder generally as the wishbone simply doesn't move up and down in the normal manner.

Trial fit it to the car with the polybush in. First thing you'll notice is you will struggle to get it in place correctly as there is no play to manipulate it around. Once in place try moving it up and down. You'll soon come to your own conclusion. The power flex bush is in a different league

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
I fitted one , it was absolutely rubbish , it needs to do what the name implies and it does not , the vertical movement was zip at the hub almost solid.
So I fitted the power flex units which are based on ball type bearing a bit like a rose joint, which worked fine and gave me the free movement of the lower wishbone.
Have read of my conundrum thread

Originally Posted by loftust
Whilst I've not fitted them, one only has to look at the design to realise they aren't fit for purpose.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Thanks guys, I think you have just confirmed what I already expected.. I was just hoping that someone would pop up and that they had a decent experience with them so that I could of avoided spending yet more money on the suspension revamp.. It's better to do it correct the 1st time around so I'm in the market for some Mugen or powerflex ones now..

I see the Mugen ones are approx £30 cheaper than the powerflex versions... Is there much difference between them?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:02 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

If you are fitting poly bushes everywhere else you should definitely get the Powerflex version, Mugen is basically the same as the oem.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:14 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I ended up going with Mugen based on cost (against the Powerflex pillow ball ones), they are slightly harder rubber but still give the necessary , er compliance. Si@Hendy, Tegiwa or TGM all seem to be about the same price - so it's down to your favourite and stock availability.

Quick Reply: Polybush - Compliance Bushes