S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Por15 requirements (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/por15-requirements-1191597/)

Brailer 02-04-2019 09:15 AM

Por15 requirements

Anyone used this to treat rust and repair small holes.

What do I need to buy altogether?

Any tips on using it please.

John

Brailer 02-04-2019 11:49 PM

?

Stevo071077 02-05-2019 12:05 AM

I used this last year to do the rear, wheel arches, etc.

My research found it wasn't worth the risk of not using the POR Degreaser and Metal Prep products as well to prevent the POR peeling off in the future. Some people claim to use the POR15 alone against POR's recommendations and have no problems, however, so the choice is yours.

If you come to the same conclusion as me and use all 3 products, you'll need the following:
  • Some paint kettles
  • Some paint brushes, preferably taped-up to ID them according to the product used for
  • Some cling-film to seal the POR tin and seal the remaining contents from air in the tin
  • At least a half-face mask with appropriate filters*
*It looks like this product was originally approved for use in controlled environments where workplace legislation applies, and later released for consumer use once the market for restoration was discovered. Best to use a filter suitable for VOC's such as this.

Use two coats if possible.

Remember POR is degraded by sunlight, so top coat it you think the area will be exposed.

Once you've prepped the surfaces the POR paints on really easily, just make sure you don't drip it on anything you value and avoid getting it on your hands.

When planning, you might need a day including drying time etc. for each product, eg. Degreaser and Metal-Prep on Day 1, and POR15 on Day 2. This might be one of the reasons a lot of people forego the Degreaser/Metal-Prep.

This was my experience using it once, others might have more experience and chip in.

Brailer 02-05-2019 12:36 AM

That's a great help, thank you. I notice the filters are for a big mask. I don't have one of these. Can u recommend a mask I can buy that has a filter built in I can use say one or two times max.

Stevo071077 02-05-2019 01:11 AM

Yes, you'll need the mask that the filters are compatible with, I think there's one via the same link. The half-face masks are only about £18.00 + VAT from memory, though you have to be aware of your eyes as a ready entry point for VOC's. Masks that provide the required level of VOC filtration are not available as an integrated mask to my knowledge, as the seal the mask makes with your face also has to meet requirements, and 3M, for example, may not want to indemnify their filters with third-party masks.

If you're only painting small amounts outdoors then you may be able to wing it without mask.

Question is, is the job big enough to make your exposure require buying the right mask.

I bought the right mask as you can't buy your health back.

Winstan 02-05-2019 04:43 AM

Link to my build page below. Look at page 1 lower down on the page i did a write up!

Winstan's

Brailer 02-05-2019 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Winstan (Post 24562526)
Link to my build page below. Look at page 1 lower down on the page i did a write up!

Winstan's

Do u recommend a particular mask?

Winstan 02-05-2019 08:45 AM

Brand wise and style, it's entirely up to how much you want to spend really.
The 3M range of disposable masks are very good.

But I recommend, you ensure the mask is at least FFP3 rated.

U9aXy6Dn 02-06-2019 08:19 AM

I've used it on brake discs (non-contact patches).

I used the spray version. Masked everything I didn't want to paint and then promptly baked the items in the oven for 2 hours. This was pre-winter.

I'm planning to take the items off after winter and take some photos to confirm how well the items have lasted. As ever with a rust-protectant, prep is absolutely key to achieve the level of finish you want, but my understanding is that this stuff bonds to the surface at a molecular level.

ramsascooby 02-08-2019 10:32 AM

any effect on rubber suspension bushes?

Hi,

Just starting strip to refurb and was planning on using por. degreaser and cleaner.

read what it said on the tins, scary, and was a little concerned if their may be any detrimental effects on rubber bushes.

any thoughts?

Thanks
Andy