UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Possible Compulsory Track Insurance

Old 03-05-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible Compulsory Track Insurance

Hi all,

So I know many of you in the S2k community frequently visit the various tracks across Britain and Europe and some of you even compete in various levels of competition.

A discussion popped up on my uni forum about how insurance may become compulsory.

"...The "Vnuk" ruling made by the European Court of Justice said that compulsory motor insurance should apply to any vehicle being used anywhere, for any purpose for which it was intended..."

Now im not sure how much competition insurance costs nor do I for insurance cover for the occasional Trackday, however at a couple of hundred for track time and cost of fuel adding an extra insurance premium is only going to be detrimental to entry level/enthusiast to peruse a hobby/passion that they enjoy!

There is a petition in place for this to be addressed, if you believe this is a stupid idea to then sign too.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/176139

Last edited by KristianP; 03-05-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:58 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

The key point here is "for which it was intended..."
You could argue some cars aren't designed for track use but for road purposes, plus track days are private events on private land so i don't see how they can enforce this for track days if I'm honest??
Old 03-06-2017, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not a counter argument at all (sadly).

The Vnuk ruling stems from a case where a farmworker was knocked off a ladder on private farmland by a tractor.

More can be read here: Save UK Motorsport

Quote:

In the landmark ‘Vnuk’ case, the European Court of Justice ruled in 2014 that the EU’s 2009 Motor Insurance Directive required insurance policies to cover all possible third-party accidents in all places and at all times. In some countries, including the United Kingdom and Ireland, governments had interpreted the law as meaning that it only applies to vehicles driven on public roads, however it is now clear that the judgment means that national laws must be changed to ensure that all mechanically propelled vehicles are insured for third-party losses regardless of type of use, in all places, at any time. This applies to everything from Formula One racing cars, to mobility scooters, to antique trams and everything in-between. Industry experts have already claimed that the risks associated with providing insurance cover to all motorised vehicles mean that they would be prohibitively expensive to insure, thus effectively outlawing all motorsport activities across the United Kingdom.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:30 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Fairly ridiculous situation, and these sort of things are a big plus to BREXIT, although probably too late if the ruling comes to fruition.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:45 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Then again, I'd have quite liked some of the nobbers I've encountered on track days to have insurance. I'm sure we've all seen a few near misses.

Racing is a bit different, though.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:15 AM
MB

Track insurance isnt that dear and as you will know LG, you can get it as part of a lot of normal insurance policies.

Race insurance is mega £ and would probably put me off participating at current pricing.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

wow could you imagine how much the insurance would be for an F1 car... gulp...
Old 03-06-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Compulsory insurance for trackdays seems like a good idea to me.

Why wouldn't you unless you want avoid to your responsibilities?

If the cost is going to put anyone off they must be right on the financial edge anyway so who knows what other economies they've made with the car.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 AM
MB

Car to car contact on trackdays are extremely rare, so it really is down to you and how much you want to push it... but, spinning off on the oil / coolant from some shed / GT3 is outside your control and on most circuits it's going to be messy if you're pushing it.

Ive generally covered my cars for track use. Even my race S has a road policy and any track days I've added foc cover. Just seems sensible to me and seem too many wrecks to not do it.

But for racing, contact is highly likely so premiums are accordingly high and really rare anyone takes it out. Would have a major effect on entries imo.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:47 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Not sure it's entirely a bad idea for track days anyway. I've never bothered, but Jonathan Palmer said the day before my last Bedfod day that there'd been a coming together of a 911 and an Aston.

That did sound a tad expensive, even though I got the impression there was a certain amount of nobbery going on at the time.

Quick Reply: Possible Compulsory Track Insurance