UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Possible Compulsory Track Insurance

Old 03-07-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If insurance for track use becomes mandatory i'm sure the insurers and tracks will come up with suitable disclaimers and insurance policies where liability is limited to injury related claims only and not car to car. Something that meets the essential part of the law without being the same as road based insurance.

Trying to apply the same road based thought process to track liability is not going to work.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CynicG
So if someone flies up the inside, off the racing line, clearly overtaking on a corner and you hit them, who pays?
A couple of interesting ones at my last track day.

First off was a corsa that looked like a 1.2 but had an intercooler on it the size of a barn door. It was completely sh1t in the corners and the owners couldn't drive for toffee, but they'd let you start going past then boot it meaning you were in no mans land approaching your corner.

The second, and more questionable was of a 15 year old behind the wheel in a racing Saxo (Which I didn't know at the time of this. No Yellow cross on the car either). 90 left followed by short straight into a hairpin right - enough to overtake by consent. Going into the left I see waving from the passenger seat. My passenger notices this too and we both mention on the video. So I go around the left and start to overtake. Sure enough, he doesn't ease off and starts pulling over into me meaning I'm now unsure of what he's doing, wondering whether he did even signal me and on the dirty part of the track going very quickly. No real drama from a car control point of view and passed him on the straight towards church.

I had some clips going at lunch and the Dad of the Saxo driver was there watching them. He told me his son was 15 driving the car.

I wasn't too impressed. At 15 you shouldn't be mixing it on a trackday. Yeah, go and race with other 15 year olds by all means, but a trackday is meant to be safe and 15 isn't safe.

Speaking about liability I'm surprised that he is even allowed on the say - race license or not.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:03 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus

I wasn't too impressed. At 15 you shouldn't be mixing it on a trackday. Yeah, go and race with other 15 year olds by all means, but a trackday is meant to be safe and 15 isn't safe.

Speaking about liability I'm surprised that he is even allowed on the say - race license or not.
Which organiser was running the day?
Old 03-07-2017, 02:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Not the best one if they were allowing that kind of behaviour. Unless standards have been universally dropped nowadays.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:17 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
If insurance for track use becomes mandatory i'm sure the insurers and tracks will come up with suitable disclaimers and insurance policies where liability is limited to injury related claims only and not car to car. Something that meets the essential part of the law without being the same as road based insurance.

Trying to apply the same road based thought process to track liability is not going to work.
I guess it's for the professionals to work out the detail

Not a bunch of car enthusiasts
Old 03-07-2017, 03:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lower
Not the best one if they were allowing that kind of behaviour. Unless standards have been universally dropped nowadays.
Possibly the son is a future F1 WC

Much like every ten year old playing park football is going to be a premiership footballer

Had something similar with a young kid (girl actually) at a karting event

Father was a plank

Kids should play with other kids
Old 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

What's the betting the insurers would talk a good fight & then decide knock for knock?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
What's the betting the insurers would talk a good fight & then decide knock for knock?
Sounds like compulsory dash cams on track days might become the norm too, no cam, no cover.
The following users liked this post:
Ultra_Nexus (03-07-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 12:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Sounds like compulsory dash cams on track days might become the norm too, no cam, no cover.
Well, given that every wannabee Senna feels compelled to record their lap, if we add it to the non wannabees that just want it for the album, that shouldn't present any problems at all

And if you don't have a dashcam, or can't borrow one (leaving about 1% of the keen driving population) then the circuit could make a few quid hiring them, with recording footage being uploaded in real time or at least not under the driver's control
Old 03-08-2017, 01:12 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Well, given that every wannabee Senna feels compelled to record their lap, if we add it to the non wannabees that just want it for the album, that shouldn't present any problems at all

And if you don't have a dashcam, or can't borrow one (leaving about 1% of the keen driving population) then the circuit could make a few quid hiring them, with recording footage being uploaded in real time or at least not under the driver's control
Whilst guilty of recording laps (and a lot of editing out of the bad ones or being overtaken by something that should be much slower than me ), I don't record every session.

I think it's actually a good idea.

In addition, I think many circuits already have a control room with cameras, the footage from which could be used in any insurance disputes.

Quick Reply: Possible Compulsory Track Insurance