UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

That post-dealer feeling?!

Old 11-19-2001, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep my tyres at 32 all round and I'm not getting any problems at the moment. I have got a calibrated dial- type tyre pressure guage which I've had for some years. Garage air guages and cheap gauges are notoriously inaccurate. I've done just over 10k miles and my tyres are still O.K. Andy, where are you experiencing this back end twitchiness? In corners...?
Old 11-19-2001, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lots of tread left and the tyres are 32 all round.
I have been relying on my gauge on the pump, so maybe I should get myself a decent measuring device.

I was out on Saturday morning. It was cool and the road surface was a bit damp. I felt some floating through sweeping bends at about 50mph.
When turning left at a junction I pressed the throttle and found the rear end to spin round very fast indeed. Luckily I managed to catch it and drove off safely (thankfully the road was empty in both directions). This is my first real heart in the mouth moment, probably due to me being a little too aggressive with the throttle even though I do try hard to be progressive.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:04 AM

Andy, I can't remember when you bought your car. I've had the experience of a full winter driving mine, and without a doubt it needs different handling in the winter. This last few mornings, I've been a lot steadier with throttle and braking. I've no qualms really about driving it except on snow and ice. If I had, the car would go pretty pronto Lifes too short. Actually it would be interesting to hear from all the recent purchasers about their experiences in this colder weather.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:08 AM

Good points Cedric. As my Stook is primarily a weekend car I tend to get a bit excited with an open road and lots of free time to drive it but I expect most owners feel the same.
We got the car at the end of April so winter driving in this car is new to me.
Would be great to hear other peoples comments.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:29 AM

I think it's a must really to fork out for an accurate calibrated guage. At least you know you've got the right amount of air in the tyres. I don't think anyone should be reticent about posting any problems. We all stand to benefit.

This aint a Nissan Micra!
Old 11-19-2001, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

This aint a Nissan Micra!

I think that is the root of the problem, I am having to calibrate between two completely different cars.

Just for the record, I love Mandy's Micra, it really is an excellent little car.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:37 AM

I forgot you had one!!!

Old 11-19-2001, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY

Just for the record, I love Mandy's Micra, it really is an excellent little car.

I found the Micra far more scary in a slide than the S2000!

Cedric:
I'm not having any problems with 205bhp at the wheels in this weather. I do leave it until the gearbox feels warm before any kind of hard acceleration. This takes a lot longer than the engine to be warm, so I'm sure the tires are warm by then. (1st gear in particular, requires a firm shove until the gearbox is fully warm, then it just snicks.). My only moment was with a freshly gritted roundabout as I've posted before. I do try to drive smoothly all the time - I learned to really appreciate keeping a car balanced when I had some tuition with the ITR on the track.

-Brian.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:45 AM

Right... warm tyres make a BIG difference!

Nothing to with this thread really but most of last winter when it was really cold, the damped radio cover needed a pull to open it!
I thought it was bolloxed, but it was right as rain as soon as the weather warmed up.
Old 11-19-2001, 10:45 AM

Some folks have had good results with snow/winter tires for the S2000. As far as the S-02's go, I was parked in a level parking space with 1/2" / 1 cm of snow. I could not back out of it! The car did not move, both rears just spun. It's kind off asking a couple of guy to help you push your car out of 1/2" of snow.

If the car is just a weekend car, don't chance the snow and ice. Just think how uncontrollable it is when the road is cold and damp.

Quick Reply: That post-dealer feeling?!