UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A post service smoke anyone?

Old 05-07-2001, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience, I hope not: Following it's first 9k service my S2K went up in smoke!!! Oil filter fitted "incorrectly"! Honda (UK) advised that this is not a known fault,(that would say that wouldn't they!) Wondered if anyone knew any different.

It's been four long weeks since this happened and the car is still in bits, currently waiting delivery of a new block from Japan, due on the 29th May. Honda (UK) finally sourced a loan Black/Red S2K on the 4th May, rattling around in an Accord up to then, good to get the top down again and rattle the red line.

Only had the car six months, no other probs to speak of, entertaining in the snow, new rears at 8K (yes 8k) and a huge thirst for oil.

Up until now it had been big smiles all the way.

Cheers
Old 05-08-2001, 07:51 AM

Exactly the same thing happened to me two months ago. I was driving along and the cabin started to fill with blue smoke. Fortunately I was near my Honda dealer (Bedford) and took the car striaght down there.

The guy at the dealership said that he'd seen this before on a car that had been on a track day. He told me that when the oil filter is removed the seal sometimes stays in place. The new filter goes on and now you have two seals! Oil leaks out between them and catches fire.

I got lucky and there was no damage, just a bit of a smell for a couple of weeks.
Old 05-08-2001, 08:37 AM

Richard,

You certainly were very lucky, has there been any lasting effects apart form the smell? The dealer in MK is replacing the bottom half of the engine and not the whole unit. Obviously I am concerned about a potential top end failure at some later point.
Old 05-08-2001, 09:23 AM

I am that car! My car caught fire(!) whilst on a track day at Bedford Autdrome last October, with Jonathan Palmer driving at the time!!!!!!!!!!! The reason. Oil filter not tightened properly at its last service, although I later found out the gasket had not been changed as per the service instructions.

They car was checked at Priory under warranty and returned to Jersey by trailer but nothing was replaced.

My car is now back at Priory with bottom end failure (see "Dead Engine!!! Long!") which happened at a track day at the Autodrome a few weeks ago. I too am awaiting for a block from Japan and was quoted a date of 22 May.

No S2K for me to swan around in though, i've got an old 1.4 Civic! I think words with my dealer are in order.

Chow.
Old 05-08-2001, 12:30 PM

Max,

The loan S2K has been supplied by Honda(UK)not the dealer after some pressure from the lease company.

Suggest you contact Honda(UK)and notify them of your problems and the delay in getting parts.

BoL
Old 05-09-2001, 03:25 AM

You guys have got me a little worried now. Going back to before my leak I'd noticed that sometimes the car would to accelerate to about 6,500 rpm and then sort of cut out with a big jolt. I assumed that this was the rev limiter cutting in because the car was cold. It never happened when the car was warmed up and I was accelerating hard. It was after one of these jolts that the oil leak happened.

To be honest, I don't know if this is still happening because I always make sure the car is well warmed up now before I floor it.

Does this sound familiar to either of you?

Anyway, I hope you get your cars back soon. I can imagine the puishment that civic must be getting!!!