UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Potentially ridiculous S2K oil change questions

Old 08-08-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Potentially ridiculous S2K oil change questions

Hi chaps,

Hoping to give my S2k a nice fresh oil change soon with Castrol edge 5w-40 (Got some more from tesco half price recently at £22 for 4 litres - bargain!)

I've not done a change on this car yet so a few quick questions..

14mm new sump plug washer and & 29 lb-ft of torque...

Question.. I was planning on having a short drive beforehand - likely 15-20 minutes (my commute home) and then jack the front up, onto jack stands (front only) and then drain.

Is this OK for the purposes of draining all the oil out, or is it better to put the whole car onto jack stands so it's level?

It would be easier if I could just jack up the front, I'd drain it, then put the plug back in and lower the car. Then fill it. Would that be OK?

Cheers chaps, apologies for the silly n00b question haha.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

The car will have to be as level as poss or you'll be leave the dregs in the back of the sump
Old 08-08-2018, 02:24 PM

Ok brilliant thanks Dave, I can do that (I think) am I right in thinking it's about 5 litres for a change?

I'm doing the filter, too. If I put in 4.5 then go for a drive and top it up after? Should be sorted. Ta!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by tommys2k?
Ok brilliant thanks Dave, I can do that (I think) am I right in thinking it's about 5 litres for a change?

I'm doing the filter, too. If I put in 4.5 then go for a drive and top it up after? Should be sorted. Ta!
4.8 (page 283 of owners book)L I assume you are changing the filter, just run it up for a few mins on the drive, let it settle then check. If you go for a drive and something god forbid goes wrong, filter comes loose etc. you don't want to be away from home.
Castrol is very light in colour and difficult to see on the dip stick. Procedure pages 184-5.

Last edited by richmc; 08-12-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:25 AM

I tend to raise the front, remove the sump plug let it drain and then lower it down again (with plug still removed) to remove the last bit of oil in the sump.

Go have a brew and come back 10 mins later and it should be pretty much empty.

Getting the car on 4 stands is a bit of a faff, in fact some will tell you it is unsafe.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remember the filter needs to be tightened correctly.
The process is hand tight then 7/8 of a full turn, this will ensure the filter will not come loose.
The Honda filters have numbers on to help guide you on this.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:46 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

As long as the oil level shows anywhere between the marks on the dipstick you're fine. No need to dribble it in by the ounce to get it to the top mark which is the maximum level, not required level. Filling to that mark, though, is handy for observing any oil loss/use.

-- Chuck
Old 08-09-2018, 09:01 AM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

When doing an oil change I always stick a little fresh oil in before refitting the sump plug, when it runs clear I know the dregs are out, a 100ml or so will do.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bluepurple
I tend to raise the front, remove the sump plug let it drain and then lower it down again (with plug still removed) to remove the last bit of oil in the sump.

Go have a brew and come back 10 mins later and it should be pretty much empty.

Getting the car on 4 stands is a bit of a faff, in fact some will tell you it is unsafe.
I would say a Less of a faff than jacking it up letting it down and jacking it back up again, i've never heard 4 axle stands are unsafe must be someone who can't be bothered, 4 are always safer than 2 any day of the week,
The following users liked this post:
har-vey (08-21-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:01 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

If you know how to put a car on stands, 4 is not unsafe in the least. Level floor, 4 stands in the proper places, etc.

In regards to not filling to the top mark, I disagree. This car uses some oil .. all cars do, the S uses a bit more than some. Running lower than the top mark just means you are more likely to run too low between checks if you get lazy and do not check as religiously. If you are filling it with oil, top it off. It takes no more work and you dont have to "dribble" to get it there really. Fill it, check it, and you can tell about how much to add, especially after you have done it before. It is almost a negligible amount of effort to just properly top it off, or at least within one mark.

As someone else mentioned, this filter tightens differently than most others. Contrary to most cars, you DO use the tool to tighten the filter. And most cannot do it right with their hands only anyway. Get the honda filter and follow the instructions on the filter and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Potentially ridiculous S2K oil change questions