UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Potentially ridiculous S2K oil change questions

Old 08-17-2018, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engifineer
If you know how to put a car on stands, 4 is not unsafe in the least. Level floor, 4 stands in the proper places, etc.

In regards to not filling to the top mark, I disagree. This car uses some oil .. all cars do, the S uses a bit more than some. Running lower than the top mark just means you are more likely to run too low between checks if you get lazy and do not check as religiously. If you are filling it with oil, top it off. It takes no more work and you dont have to "dribble" to get it there really. Fill it, check it, and you can tell about how much to add, especially after you have done it before. It is almost a negligible amount of effort to just properly top it off, or at least within one mark.

As someone else mentioned, this filter tightens differently than most others. Contrary to most cars, you DO use the tool to tighten the filter. And most cannot do it right with their hands only anyway. Get the honda filter and follow the instructions on the filter and you will be fine.
Is the filter tool special or can it be tightened with the usual strap wrench without distorting filter?
Old 08-17-2018, 04:10 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by prince buster
Is the filter tool special or can it be tightened with the usual strap wrench without distorting filter?
The Honda tool is a cup that fits over the filter, then spannered up. If you go for a K&N filter it has a nut welded to the end so you can use a spanner or socket. Whatever method you use just hand tighten to contact then 7/8 more turn.

As belt and braces I got filter retainer from a dealer on here.(Tegiwa).
The following users liked this post:
prince buster (08-20-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 06:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Oil filter retainer definitely the way to go. Eliminates all the guesswork.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

I just bought a cup type tool that you use a wratchet for. Cost me a few bucks. just get the one that fits the filter.

Strap wrench likely would work too, but in the location it is in I think the cup tool is easier to use.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually tighten it by hand or use this tool

Old 08-20-2018, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hectorteto
I usually tighten it by hand or use this tool

Similar to the type I have but wondered if it would distort the canister as it needs to be so tight. Potential nightmare stuff! Might give Honda a call and get a price for changing oil.
or get a retainer. Perhaps both.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:14 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I once had that with a FIAT 128. I dunno when it was previously changed, but I spiralled the filter with a chain wrench.

I had to drive a chisel through it and turn it off.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:40 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
I once had that with a FIAT 128. I dunno when it was previously changed, but I spiralled the filter with a chain wrench.

I had to drive a chisel through it and turn it off.
Chain wrench is for getting it off not on, hope that's what you meant. (I know that's what you meant!).
Old 08-22-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

On 99% of cars you never use a tool to tighten the filter, and if you do and overtighten it, when the seal swells you will end up destroying the filter trying to get it off. On this car, it is made to be torqued after contact (and the filter is designed for it) so as long as you tq it properly you should not have an issue with the tool damaging the filter. I still prefer the cup tool more for this, as it is easier to get it in position and be able to turn to tq.

The strap type wrench is good in some applications, but I have used my leather work belt to remove plenty of them instead of a strap type wrench before in a pinch when I only had a strap wrench but could not get the handle in place
Old 08-22-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

CTA Tools A257 Cap-Type Oil Filter Wrench (80mm) is like six bucks at any auto parts store. Has a 3/8 socket in the head to allow torquing to the required 16 (sixteen) lb-ft, or 7/8 turn after gasket contact if you lack proper tools.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Potentially ridiculous S2K oil change questions