UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Preparing the hood for winter under the hardtop

Old 09-13-2001, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to the hardtop!
When these b*****s eventually pay me for all the work I've been putting in and I can order - which I guess means del in Jan/Feb. - I'll need a hardtop.
But don't you have to exercise the soft top every so often rather than letting it just fester there?
Old 09-13-2001, 10:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY
[B]When I return the Micra I shall tell the guys that Brian loves purple and expressed an interest in having the purple Micra as he would like to buy one for his wife.
Old 09-13-2001, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by mikerich
Back to the hardtop!
When these b*****s eventually pay me for all the work I've been putting in and I can order - which I guess means del in Jan/Feb. - I'll need a hardtop.
But don't you have to exercise the soft top every so often rather than letting it just fester there?
Yes, I'm planning on taking it off every couple of weeks. The problem I've got is that I don't have room for the hardtop near work, so it's stored at my dad's place ~120 miles away.

So I want to treat the soft top as well as I can.

-Brian.
Old 09-14-2001, 09:31 AM

I picked up the STOOK from Brindley today.
I have to say that I am very impressed with the standard of their work.
Unfortunately the 2000 part of the side sticker has still not arrived so I shall have to return as soon as it is delivered to get it put on.
I would not hesitate to recommend them for bodywork jobs on other s2000's.

I also cancelled my order on Demon Tweeks for the clear side repeaters. I have waited for 7 weeks and still nothing. Rang them today to see what the heck was happening and they said....end of the month.......yer, well bollox, Ill go elsewhere.
Old 09-15-2001, 06:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY
[B]I picked up the STOOK
Old 09-17-2001, 04:05 AM

Why are you guys using Autoglym Bumper Care on a fabric roof?

I understood this product was excellent for Vinyl cabs like the MX5 but is best avoided on the S2000. I use Autoglyms roof kit, which so far is working brilliantly. The protective spray is like 3M Scotch Guard and the water beads brilliantly. I apply it twice a year.

My car is currently being fitted with a hardtop and I recommend you treat the roof with Autoglym kit, then apply Zymol Seal to all the rubber, and use Porsche Technique Screen Cleaner if you have concerns for the rear screen health.

This has been the approach taken on a 89 Mercedes SL before each winter and that fabric roof and rear screens have survived the last few winters very well.

When you re-erect the roof for the first time make sure the fabric has time to warm up, so leave the car in the sun for a bit, as the fabric is put under great strain when the electic motors of the hood go to work after a period of rest.

Hope this helps
Old 09-17-2001, 04:10 AM

I think the S2000's roof is Vynol (?sp?) i.e. plastic.

The Autoglymn pack you mention is for older "Morgan" type cars.

I friend used the fabric pack on his barchetta. Didn't do it much good. But then again, it was a FIAT so we were used to things dropping off or needing repainting....

(You should see the list about strange noises.... )
Old 09-17-2001, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contrary to what was first thought, the hood is definitely VINYL.
If you look at the advice on the Autoglym's Fabric Roof box it advises the use of their Bumper Care on a Vinyl Roof.
Old 09-17-2001, 08:13 AM

The Autoglym bumper care product is superb, no matter what others might recommend
Old 09-17-2001, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by bmarshall
Also does anyone actually have the grease mentioned in the owners manual? I've so far drawn a blank on it.

-Brian.
The grease is available, but it is quite expensive. Quote the part number (it's in the owner's handbook). Your dealer will find it as a grease, not as a part. It seems that it's in a different place in the price list. It didn't take that long for my dealer to get, but they recommended an alternative, when they realized what it was!

Quick Reply: Preparing the hood for winter under the hardtop