UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Prospective new owner - What to watch for

Old 04-25-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective new owner - What to watch for

Hi,
I am actively looking for an S2000 to join my 2015 Type R for the sunny days easier driving. However I really don't know what to be watchful for when looking at S2000's for sale.
Can anyone either point me to a thread or help in pointing out the issues and what I should steer clear of.?
Love to pick one up fairly soon..

Many thanks in advance..
Old 04-25-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The turbos go generally around the 100k mark... apart from that quite solid. Front driveshafts every 30-40k too.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:22 AM

Turbos???? I don't think so... Are we talking about the same car ? S2000 NA engined.. ? Sorry for any confusion..
Old 04-25-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

This is usually the best starting point

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...v2-1-a-301506/

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...t-etc-1085229/

Last edited by Soggybottomboy; 04-25-2017 at 10:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Largey (04-25-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Some things I wish I knew before I started looking:

1) The clutch biting point is abnormally high in an S; this is normal behavior. Can be reduced slightly with a clutch bleed (best piece of work i've done so far).
2) Clutch Buzz which affects anything younger than 2002 (I think!?) is a wierd buzzy metallicy sound on decel around 4krpm to 2krpm. Consensus is not to worry but can be used for haggling if its loud enough.
3) TCT (Timing chain tensioner) - it's desirable to have had this replaced recently.
4) Offset tyre sizes - ensure the correct 205 size at the front and 225 size at the rear has been adhered to.
5) Position steering wheel 100% left, get out and check the outer and inner side of front tyres for tread. Then 100% right, re-check. The inside side of one of my tyres was very badly worn.
6) Check under the tool kit in the boot for moisture or a puddle. I didn't do this and again, I lived to regret it.
7) Pop the air filter cover off (it's so, so easy) and check the condition of the filter. Even if the car has paperwork do this, because despite apparently having been changed by a garage, mine definitely hadn't been. Use for haggling.
8) Rear arches are quite prone to rust. Peel back the arch cover and stick your finger in there and have a poke around.

That's about all I can think of apart from general standard car checks i.e. ensure the panels all line up, that the history checks out, well maintained, etc. Take your time, make sure you have a really good look for rust. Also, ask when the drains were last unblocked. You'll probably be met with a shrug... again, haggling point!

Cheers,

Matt
Largey (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:11 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt1783
Some things I wish I knew before I started looking:

1) The clutch biting point is abnormally high in an S; this is normal behavior. Can be reduced slightly with a clutch bleed (best piece of work i've done so far).
2) Clutch Buzz which affects anything younger than 2002 (I think!?) is a wierd buzzy metallicy sound on decel around 4krpm to 2krpm. Consensus is not to worry but can be used for haggling if its loud enough.
3) TCT (Timing chain tensioner) - it's desirable to have had this replaced recently.
4) Offset tyre sizes - ensure the correct 205 size at the front and 225 size at the rear has been adhered to.
5) Position steering wheel 100% left, get out and check the outer and inner side of front tyres for tread. Then 100% right, re-check. The inside side of one of my tyres was very badly worn.
6) Check under the tool kit in the boot for moisture or a puddle. I didn't do this and again, I lived to regret it.
7) Pop the air filter cover off (it's so, so easy) and check the condition of the filter. Even if the car has paperwork do this, because despite apparently having been changed by a garage, mine definitely hadn't been. Use for haggling.
8) Rear arches are quite prone to rust. Peel back the arch cover and stick your finger in there and have a poke around.

That's about all I can think of apart from general standard car checks i.e. ensure the panels all line up, that the history checks out, well maintained, etc. Take your time, make sure you have a really good look for rust. Also, ask when the drains were last unblocked. You'll probably be met with a shrug... again, haggling point!

Cheers,

Matt
Those tyre sizes are on a 16 inch rim. The correct size for 17 is listed in the first link I posted.
Largey (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Soggybottomboy
Those tyre sizes are on a 16 inch rim. The correct size for 17 is listed in the first link I posted.
Sorry yes! Forgot to mention that. My search was refined to pre-facelift so the 17" rim didn't factor into my equation. Thanks for adding Soggy
Largey (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:10 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

S2000's are prone to seized bushes and seized brake calipers. After a spirited test drive - check the heat from the wheels - this will be a good indicator of whether any are binding. The rears are the worst. Bushes unfortunately are a little harder to diagnose, if I were looking for another one then I would want piece of mind that these had been greased.
Largey (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy mine if you don't mind a misfiring engine?
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 AM

Not surprised its misfiring if you keep going round in circles like that !!

Quick Reply: Prospective new owner - What to watch for