UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Query Regarding Clutch release bearing- Anyone fitted their own clutch|?

Old 06-29-2004, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Query Regarding Clutch release bearing- Anyone fitted their own clutch|?

Hi there

I am preparing my car for the engine going back in and am struggling to figure out the Release fork and relaese bearing set up.

the engine was taken out without me being there and i cant work out whats up..

Have checked the ESM regarding the release forks position relative to the bearing

Heres a pic http://www.evoposters.net/carsa/album197/S...2000_011?full=1

is that the release bearing right in the middle? if not then the garage have lost it

Looks like i would have to remove the release fork to get it back in as per the installation/removal instructions as it sits between the clutch disc and pressure plate....

the car is a 99 with only 1000 miles on it, is it worth changing anything now that the box is split?

thanks in advance for any help
Old 06-29-2004, 10:35 AM

Certainly looks like a release bearing in the middle. Somewhat confused by your instructions, if i remember correctly the release fork operates the release bearing, so how can the fork sit between the disc and the pressure plate. Mind you it is a long time since i did a clutch change.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:04 AM

I have checked the ESM as well and yes it goes against everything I knew about clutches and the order they are assembled. It looks like the release bearing goes between the friction plate and pressure plate, but protudes through the pressure plate allowing you to connect the release fork. Here is the odd bit!!....for this to work the clutch is released when the bearing "pulls-out" and if you look at the fork pivot point and the direction of operation of the clutch slave cylinder this all seems to tie up. (All other clutch releases I have ever come across work by the bearing pressing down on the pressure plate, which is why you and I are confused).

So, I would conclude that
1) Bearing goes between pressure plate and friction plate as per ESM
2) The operation of the clutch is opposite to anything I have come across before
3) It works this way because the slave cylinder would pull the bearing rather than push

PLease someone come along and confirm this because although it seems to work this way, but I'm not sure
Old 06-29-2004, 12:48 PM

This is giving me a headache, but I suppose it makes sense in an arse about face way. Wonder what the reason is for doing that way instead of the straight forward way.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:42 PM

Hi there, spent the night under the car, the release fork does push iirc, it is not put back in till the flywheel clutch and transmission is all buttoned up, the fork then slides in from the slave cylinder side.

somethins puzzling though in that the release bearing does not sit true on the clutch disc the 4 raised spring areas protrude into the base of the release bearing making it difficult to position- hence the need for the special tool i would imagine, talking of which can these be bought from honda or has anyone cobbled up a home brewed effort?!?!

Its going to be a pain refitting it tbh as i will have to install it all and torque it up properly on the engine(after fitting the flywheel) and then hve to postion it to line up with everything when droppping it back in, going to fun lol
Old 06-30-2004, 12:38 AM

Are you putting the release bearing between the pressure plate and the friction plate as per ESM? This clutch seems to work back to front.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:02 AM

Yeah exactly as per the esm just that id dont seem quite right as the bearing seat is not flat so theres potential for misallignment.

Quite difficult to explain this one
Old 06-30-2004, 01:39 AM

Section 12-10 of the ESM shows the use of the alignment tool, but this mainly for the alignment of the friction plate, pressure plate to the centre of the flywheel.
By the looks of the diagram the release bearing should protrude through the pressure plate which should hold it in position, although it may move slightly but not enough such that you can't align the gearbox shaft to it.
I think once you offer up the gearbox (or in your case vice-versa) the bearing will align on the shaft with no problems. The release bearing needs to be loose between the pressure and friction plate, for everything to work. So I assume your bearing is moving between the two plates??
Old 06-30-2004, 01:46 AM

Yeah it does protude as per the ESM, just doesn't "seem" right for some reason

Will stick it all back together and keep my fingers crossed
Old 06-30-2004, 01:51 AM

Good luck

Quick Reply: Query Regarding Clutch release bearing- Anyone fitted their own clutch|?