UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Question about roof

Old 02-06-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about roof

The last owner of my car had a new glass screen roof fitted. Not sure of the make but we are thinking it is possibly a genuine Honda item.

It all seems to work OK, it's a little tight around the window frame when shutting but sits snug when all clipped in but the rear roof bar doesn't sit properly...

When the roof is raised it looks like this...

and I need to manually shift the rear bar to its final resting position here...

Are there supposed to be some elastic strips attatched somewhere to move this bar for me when the roof is raised?

Those patches on the roof appear to have been added to prevent wear as there is no damage to the roof, is this a common wear location on these?

Thanks for any pointers,
Mark
Old 02-06-2011, 06:16 AM

There's an anchored strap that attaches to this bar on each side of the car and as you raise the roof, it pulls the bar back. In your photo it's missing. I'll take a photo of my roof and upload it to show you.

You'll already know, but the chainstay (Lizard skins) are very good at protecting your roof in the normal wear places.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:22 AM

cheers, much appreciated
Old 02-06-2011, 06:27 AM

Sorry, it's a bad photo, but that's the strap in my fingers and it goes up to the bar to the top of the photo. Not, sure where it's fastened too on the car. Have a look for a loose strap. Are both straps missing on each side?

This photo was taken with the top 1/2 way down because there wasn't enough light in the cabin to take the photo on my iPhone.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:39 AM

Yeah, both straps are missing, there's nothing to say that any straps have been there either...

Are they elastic?

Must get myself some lizard skins next time i'm in halfords :-)

Thanks for the pic bud!
Old 02-06-2011, 06:45 AM

The straps aren't elasticated. They're the kind of material you'd find on your rucksack strap and they're pretty strong so I can't imagine they'd snap.

I think Halfords has a deal on the lizzards skins 2x £10…. Have a look in the bargins thread.

I've just had to replace my elastic straps (between the bars so my roof folds flat) with some from Modifry because the -18oC weather we've just had has made them have the same elasticity as chewing gum.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Cool, how do those straps attach to the bar? If I buy some straps of some sort I wonder if I could wrap them over the bar and then stitch them?

Thanks again
Mark
Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

am i right in thinking this is a glass room on a plastic frame?

i have the reverse issue on mine, the bars don't get pulled together when the roof is down resulting in the roof getting trapped unless you help it fold right
Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 AM

I think so, it's a glass window roof but not sure if the frame has been changed or not.

It's also been thought that it's still a plastic window roof but the rear window has actually been changed to a glass screen?? Is this possible?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ste_Nova,Feb 6 2011, 09:41 AM
i have the reverse issue on mine, the bars don't get pulled together when the roof is down resulting in the roof getting trapped unless you help it fold right
This is likely to be your elasticated straps that are worn.
Check out the linky http://www.modifry.com/products/ctf/index.htm

I just replaced mine yesterday and it took 15 minutes to do both sides. Modifry is an excellent guy and I got posted through my door 5 days after ordering.

Quick Reply: Question about roof