UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Running the car on axel stands

Old 02-01-2018, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running the car on axel stands

I've sorn the S2000 over the winter whilst there's salt on the roads and was planning on doing a full fluid change.
I know the oils will drain a little better once warm so was thinking of running the car in gear whilst it's in the air on 4 axel stands to get some heat into the diff and gearbox.
Is this a crazy thing to do? I may even remove the rear wheels and put them under the car as a precaution, but my biggest concern is the diff and possibly gearbox running with no load on them.

Cheers
Phil
Old 02-01-2018, 05:26 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

If you're not using it why not just leave it to drain for a few days on each?

I ran mine on stands when it broke to see where the noise was coming from. It didn't get any worse
Old 02-01-2018, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thinking, you're clearly the brains behind the operation!

I think I was almost looking forward to running up through the gears under some light throttle. I guess I'd be best waiting till the weather warms up a little.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I have my car on a lift (usually) for the winter with all wheels off the pavement and run her monthly to circulate lubricants in the engine until the fans activate at least twice. Also run her up and down thru all six (6) gears several times at idle to distribute the gearbox and differential oil. I turn VSA OFF (late car). Assuming the car is secure on stands I see no reason to not do this. Oil just needs to be warm, not boiling.

Caution: Do NOT turn the steering wheel while doing this. The EPS steering needs to feel resistance when turning wheel from side to side and will shut itself off which will require re-calibrating it once back on the pavement. I learned this the hard way. Info here enabled me to fix it.

-- Chuck
Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I have my car on a lift (usually) for the winter with all wheels off the pavement and run her monthly to circulate lubricants in the engine until the fans activate at least twice. Also run her up and down thru all six (6) gears several times at idle to distribute the gearbox and differential oil. I turn VSA OFF (late car). Assuming the car is secure on stands I see no reason to not do this. Oil just needs to be warm, not boiling.

Caution: Do NOT turn the steering wheel while doing this. The EPS steering needs to feel resistance when turning wheel from side to side and will shut itself off which will require re-calibrating it once back on the pavement. I learned this the hard way. Info here enabled me to fix it.

-- Chuck
and i must ask. when in first gear at idle. does one wheel turn or both?
Old 02-01-2018, 10:16 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I recall both back wheels turn turn in gear but I may have dreamed this (car is on the ground at present or I'd check). LSD should make this happen. Maybe someone else can remember better than me.

-- Chuck
Old 02-01-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

You Shouldn't be storing cars with the wheels in droop (unless you have polly or rod ends) as it deforms the bushes because of the undue stress put on them, running them up on axle stands is fine but soon as your done get it back on all fours
Old 02-02-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Axle.....
Old 02-02-2018, 11:44 PM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

Both turn, you can see both driveshafts spinning here

Old 02-07-2018, 03:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
You Shouldn't be storing cars with the wheels in droop (unless you have polly or rod ends) as it deforms the bushes because of the undue stress put on them, running them up on axle stands is fine but soon as your done get it back on all fours
That was my understanding. The dampers apparently don't like it either.

Think I'd better start my car and run it to get it hot.

Quick Reply: Running the car on axel stands