UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Which Radar Detector....If Any!

Old 05-01-2001, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's been a lot of talk on the main board about different sorts of radar detectors and their efficacies. Although I live in Paris, I spend a great deal of time driving in the UK, and of course, I used to be resident there only one year ago.

I was back in London last weekend, and was surprised to learn that radar detectors are apparently now legal there (although apparently this may well change as soon as this summer). I saw a few models on sale in tottenham court road, but the salesman seemed to know next to nothing about them, so I didnt buy.

Ideally what I would want is a detector that can pick up radar traps and roadside speed cameras. Is there an effective device for this...what are your experiences?

Others experiences/opinions eagerly awaited....
Old 05-02-2001, 02:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Valentine1 highly reccomended in US forum, I was going to buy through a member in the US to save a couple of hundred pounds(
Old 05-02-2001, 07:20 AM

The law as I understand it is this; you are allowed to buy one, own one, use one. But it is illegal to act upon information that it gives you. i.e. if it tells you a speed camera is nearby, you break the law when you slow down. Stupid eh?

Anyway, I have no experience with the Valentine One, but I bought another Snooper, the SD815 a couple of years ago.

I found the performance very poor, or very good depending how you look at it. In urban areas, it would pick up security camera, traffic light sensors, CCTV cameras, and various other non-threatening devices. Sometimes it would pick up a Speed Camera or Police car, but always too late. In rural areas it would pick up nothing at all. And yes, I was using the correct settings.

All the constant beeping drove me nuts so I eventually sold it to a naive Porker owner at work. I found it more trouble than it was worth.

A footnote...
Several years ago, it the days of the Gti, I had two back to back speeding offences which totalled 9 penalty points. I carried these points for 3 years, in the knowledge that one more offence would mean I would be banned. That knowledge instilled extra vigilance and care in my driving and over the 3 year period I found my driving and awareness improved so much as I lost the reckless streak. The point of the story? I've found from experience that vigilance and sensible speeding (if that is not an oxymoron) is a much better alternative to a radar detector.

Just my 2c....

Asif
Old 05-02-2001, 02:31 PM

For the speed cameras I am not aware of any radar detector being able to detect them, this is down to the 'beams' (cant think of the proper terminology) are going in the same was you are driving, so by the time the detector picks them up it is to late.
My detctor picks up cameras, but only those on the other side of the road, so I have to remember where they are.
The only device I am aware that will pick up speed cameras in advance is a new device that for a subscription fee regularly updates where all the radar detectors are located, using GPS, as you approach one it alerts you to its prescense. It is able to do this as all speed cameras must be publicly declared.
It is quite new, if you want details I can try to find the advert for you, just let me know.
Anthony
Old 05-02-2001, 02:57 PM

I have the Bell 990 international which picks up EVERYTHING including laser, gatso, mini gatso and the "old stuff that hardly anybody uses".

With the exception of laser, you should have time to react and slow down:

The radar waves are "scattered" off other objects so you should pick it up quite easily. Police are also supposed to monitor you for about 2 secs before they can officially tag you.

Laser is immediate, however, if whilst they are picking off others nearby you, they may "brush" you and set off the signal. Happened to me once before and was able to react quite easily. (Bear in mind I never go over 100 mph on motorways)

The Bell 990i is also Flash programmable so you can update it as and when new "bands" or other countries are used. It also has a hazard warning system for the USA which tells you of roadworks ahead etc.

Basically, it's the top of the range.

I bought mine in Oct 2000 for
Old 05-10-2001, 04:52 AM

Don't know if you've seen this site the Speed Trap Bible. Has lots of stuff on handling impending prosecutions as well as lots of technical info. on speed traps of all kinds inc. reviews of both radar and laser detectors as well as the GPS system.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/sp...trap_bible.html
Old 05-11-2001, 08:54 AM

http://www.brakehorsepower.com/speedtrap/s...ap%5Fbible.html

s