S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Rattle when decelerating? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/rattle-when-decelerating-27410/)

joecro 09-07-2001 01:53 AM

Rattle when decelerating?

When I decelerate in 2nd and 3rd gears between about 3000 and 4000 revs i get a metallic rattle from the engine (actually the clutch). It sounds like a metal plate being 'flicked' or vibrating quickly.

If at the same time i put my foot on the clutch i get a lot of vibration through the pedal.

I know that there is a thread about this in the international section but i wondered if any other UK guys have had this problem?

I am taking it to the garage tomorrow - Crown Honda in Bushey Heath nr Watford (Fabulous garage!) - so they can hear it.

There is also a service notice on this site somewhere which describes exactly the same thing. I sent the notice to the garage who in turn sent it to Honda UK whose response was along the lines of "...well thats from the USA, not us".

It would help if i have some ammo from other sufferers when i go to the garage.

The fix?

A new clutch!

jc

steve_the_greek 09-07-2001 03:46 AM

I get it, but it hasn't bothered me enough to get the new clutch.
There doesn't seem to be universal agreement on whether the fix actually works, but if you're willing to let them have your car for a bit, it can't do much harm (insert flame from owner who's had a bodged clutch replacement).
With regard to Honda denying all knowledge, I'd say take the service manager out for a drive. Prove that there is a problem, and demand they fix it. Whether Honda UK accept that the US TSB is applicable here ( well everyone knows that US cars are made somewhere different to ours :rolleyes: ) is irrelevant.
If Honda UK still kick up a stink, threaten court action and let them know you'll be using official Honda service bulletins as evidence. They will change their minds.

Steve

joecro 09-07-2001 03:56 AM

Cheers Steve,

...lets see what happens. I think the new clutch is worth a try as it will be smoother (i hope).

As for court action - i dont think it will get that far but the threat of it may have the desired affect.

jc

steve_the_greek 09-07-2001 04:15 AM

Yeah, it would never go to court, but the threat of it should be enough to get them off their arses.
It's quite simple, there is a fault, the car has a warrantee, they fix it. They just hope that you'll give up at the first attempt as it saves them some dosh.

ianb 09-07-2001 05:21 AM

Interesting comparison. A friend had a very slight chattering from the clutch in his new BMW. He booked it in for a checkup but by the time it came to put it in the problem had gone away.
"No problem", says the service manager. "We'll just replace the clutch with a new one as we want you to be completely happy with your car".

Maybe I should have bought a beemer instead...:eek:

Muz 09-07-2001 05:37 AM

My service dept. told me it was the clutch springs. Apparently they get a bit loose over time. I'm no mechanic but it sounds logical.

joecro 09-07-2001 05:51 AM

I like the BMW storey - think i will quote that one!

thanks

Mole 09-07-2001 06:51 AM

I am now on the third clutch, the first replacement was quiet but then started to do the same rattling noise on decceleration the one I'm on now is a bit better but if I give it say 4000 rpm a let the clutch out it slips after being fully disengaged when I subsequently put my foot down. This also happened with the second clutch. I have told my garage and there is apparently another modified clutch on the way. Dont be fobbed off by Honda they know there is a problem with the original clutch and they must know that there is a problem with the initial modified one otherwise they would not be working on a third clutch. My dealer has told me that there is another guy who has had the same problem. I wonder if there is an a performance clutch that is available, maybe sufferers of the problem could get one fitted as compensation.

joecro 09-07-2001 09:09 AM

Colin

You star!

this page is now printed and in my pocket!

who is your dealer?

JC

johnyboy32 09-07-2001 09:12 AM

Originally posted by Muz
My service dept. told me it was the clutch springs. Apparently they get a bit loose over time. I'm no mechanic but it sounds logical.
That is what mine told me, as well. They also explained that the new clutch design does not eliminate the noise. Just that it will not get any worse sounding that a car that has the original clutch and 5 - 10K miles on it.