UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

In a real quandary - do I sell?

Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 AM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In a real quandary - do I sell?

As title, I am having a quandary as to whether I should sell my S2000.

Ive owned her for 4 years, from 1 year old and not missed a beat. I have enjoyed every minute of ownership while Ive been in the car. It has always been a weekend car for me, commuting in London by car for me does not make sense.

So what's changed? Well I have moved house. I used to have a flat with secure underground parking, now my car is stuck on the street. I got fed up with it getting dusty, getting bird crap on the roof, and generally keeping it looking up to my high standards, so I bought a car cover. That mysteriously went missing on a night of high wind, on reflection I now think it was nicked. The cover kept the car clean, and free from bumps, but then the cover itself needed washing, and taking it off and putting it on was a hassle. I could rent a garage nearby, but again, would probably find myself having to make a deliberate trip so I used it, and not being able to check it was ok would drive me mad.

Ive bought my girlfriend an R32 Golf, which she uses a reasonable amount. We have done about 5,000 miles in it since April, Ive done a mere 2,000 in my S a year ago to this date, and I guess 500-750 of those were done before we got the Golf. The Golf is great for our needs, safe in terrible weather, comfy, quick, and has a decent boot.

Ive been finding myself having to take the car out just to keep it ticking over, its normally only used for supermarket runs and then a quick hoon to lengthen the journey time. Its rare I need to go anywhere that cant wait while my girlfriend is using the Golf. Last Summer I found I also didnt use it that much with the top down, I dont think I had the time, and the street space parking battle took the enjoyment out of taking it out for a quick blast as it would take a long time before Id be able to park it outside my house once again.

My S has done 22k miles and is due its 54k service in a couple of weeks. Its been seen by CG and aside from some minor tyre scuffs stone chips it was in excellent condition, until this morning. I went out (to take some stuff to the tip in the Golf), to find someone had relieved me of some paint on my front bumper beside the number plate, 1 scratch about 2 inches wide and very thin, and another about an inch wide and half an inch high. Someone has caught me, I know which car was parked next to it, but have no proof it was them. Ive always thought it was inevitable this would happen, and I thought I would be more mad that it has happened, but strangely Im not. Its not going to be a big deal to fix, but its this damage that has caused me to think about my situation, as I spend most my time worrying about damage to the car, that given the amount I use it, I think Id be best without it, as it would stop my concerns.

I had been toying with the idea of upgrading it, with what Im not sure. Id been eyeing up a 997 turbo which would be my dream car and Im fortunate enough that I could afford one if I wanted. Failing that I could get a new M3 convertibe, but given my mileage and the parking situation, it doesnt seem worthwhile, especillay as I think either of these cars would attract a little unwanted attention.

The width of a house on our street is a little more than a car, so by having two we are taking more than our fair share anyway, our neighbours are elderly, and dont drive, so although parking can sometimes be tricky near my house, you can usually get a space on the road.

So I guess Im after some thoughts to try and help me think the process through. I dont need funds that selling the S would give me and running costs are not an issue. We've been in the house for a year, I would like to move to get some off street parking, but that alone is a silly reason, though arguably I should have given it more thought before we moved. I love the S, the shape, the drive, but would like more power in a new car.

The way I see it my options are as follows:

Keep it - and endure the same concerns Ive had since moving

Garage it - comparable concerns about it being kept on the street with regard to not being able to keep an eye on it by looking at it out of the window

Leave it at my parents house 90 miles away, insure them on it and change the place where the car is stored for insurance purposes. Pros here are that its safe to store, the downside is my parents driving skills and caring for the car. Would go 50:50 on insurance/servicing. Upside is I can get it back

Sell it - would break my heart as its the first car I have owned by and paid for mysel, and prices have tanked, but if its most sensible option that Id do it. My concern is Id miss it, and want it back, and struggle to find one that had been looked after like mine has.

Im thinking about leaving it at my folks after the service for 2 weeks and see how I go, if I need it (of course I will miss it, shes my baby), then insure them on it and change where its kept on insurance, then if I still dont need it then consider selling it. My gf is concerned if we have just one car we will end up arguing over who will take the Golf, but by the miles Ive done, the times I need a car have recently been few and far between.

Bottom line is, Im a little OCD, and I think its causing me more hassle that its worth.

Sorry about the rant, but Id appreciate thoughts
Old 01-22-2011, 04:11 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I feel you pain.

I'd sell it until you are in a situation house wise, where you can store it how you want to. I also have parking OCD and it's the reason I got rid of my nice shiny Evo, I just used to worry too much.

It's easy to say "its just a car" but some people are just wired up differently.

Or you could sell it and buy an older one with a few blemisehs on it already, and be less precious about it?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 AM
MrM

It is bloody annoying and I'm the kind of person that is all or nothing. My gf says we will miss not having two, but the she's never around to see when I do take my car out, by virtue of the fact she's out herself. I would miss not having a "nice" car for special occasions but figure I can hire something and wouldn't lose money vs running cost and depreciation.

My concern may then turn to the Golf, and that would be bad.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you sell it, you are not in the right position to replace it with a 997 or M3 - if you are this OCD about a 5 year old honda, what will you be like with an M3 or Porsche on the street?

Or you could sell it and buy an older one with a few blemishes on it already, and be less precious about it?
This - there are some nice, tastefully modified ones for sale here for not a huge amount.

Alternatively, take the hit on moving it on (and take comfort from someone getting joy from it) and wait until your circumstances have changed. Does sound like 2 cars is not necessary....

If you go down to one car but feel the need to get a driving "hit" maybe you should investigate driving/racing clubs or shared ownership - all of the fun with less of the concern......
Old 01-22-2011, 05:00 AM

unfortunately you can't wrap cars in cotton wool

well, you probably could but the neighbours would talk

I understand your sentiments and I am also very particular about my cars

if I was in your situation I'd sell

or move

you can always get another one at a later date
Old 01-22-2011, 05:20 AM
MrM

Originally Posted by maby66,Jan 22 2011, 05:49 AM
If you sell it, you are not in the right position to replace it with a 997 or M3 - if you are this OCD about a 5 year old honda, what will you be like with an M3 or Porsche on the street?
Yes things would be a lot worse with a nicer car.

Sadly in the area I am few places have off road parking. As and when I move again parking will take a priority. Its a shame as the lack of off street parking is the only real negative if where I am.

Im thinking of leaving the car at my folks for a couple of weeks and see how I feel.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:47 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I'd have issues about leaving a 10 yo POS Honda on the street!

Rather than waste all that money on some German shit, perhaps buy a house with parking? It'll depreciate less, even currently.

Or rent a garage.

having the car 90 miles away sounds daft.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:08 AM

Rent a garage within walking distance, install solar operated bullet cam for your fix of "is it still there" action.

As a girl who had to share her car for nigh on 12 months be warned re the Golf - you start referring to it as "ours" or "mine" , it becoming your "new baby" will not be appreciated - but then your OH may be more sharing than I am
Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 AM
MrM

Just to clarify, I wouldnt keep the car at my parents 90 miles away and inetnd to drive it on a regular basis. I would essentially hand it over to my old man but remain the registered owner.

At LadyB, I can help but feel the whole Garage thing is more hassle than its worth, standalone garages are hard to come by, and parking in a secure but ultimately public residential carpark presents identical hazards to any other car park with door dings etc. For the cost of renting a garage each month I could buy a new car cover each month instead, and I reckon that it protected me from all knocks and scrapes.

As an aside, does anyone know if a clifford style alarm with a proximity detector which starts the alarm if anything or anyone comes within 4 inches of my front bumper would work?
Old 01-22-2011, 10:14 AM

I think you need to move to a home with its own garage. You will go ballistic if that happened to a 997 Turbo. I'll never move to a home without a garage or at least a space to build one. This means that some of the really nice victorian flats/townhouses would be out of the question for me.

Quick Reply: In a real quandary - do I sell?