UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

In a real quandary - do I sell?

Old 01-22-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See the doc about your OCD!

I know the feeling, but I seem to to be able to get over it once it is no longer pristine - in my case when a flying parcel shelf from our Mazda (picked up by the wind) bruised the back bumper. I sulked like a spoilt kid for a couple of hours but then got over it. The car now has a few wee scratches and chips, but that's life...
"all is entropy" as my Physics teacher used to say...
Old 01-22-2011, 12:23 PM

I've been in this scenario so many times over the years.

I used to be so particular about my cars; had a black celica that I'd have to wash b4 the sun came up or just b4 dusk, a CRX which our kid's couldn't get in the back of without taking off their shoes.

Looking back I well over the top but, nevertheless, I fully understand your predicament. You cherish your car then something detrimental happens to it and it's never quite the same again. Could you really face that with a Porsche or M3.

I'd either sell, and invest some time in karting or track days, or lay up the car at your parents for a few years (they'd be sure to understand) until you had off-street parking or a garage.

I've bought my S2K now, but to drive mainly in years to come (I don't want to be trawling around in 5-10yrs time for a decent example).

Whatever you decide at least you've had the enjoyment of it thus far.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MrM,Jan 22 2011, 08:33 AM
As an aside, does anyone know if a clifford style alarm with a proximity detector which starts the alarm if anything or anyone comes within 4 inches of my front bumper would work?

They don't go off right away, they "chirp" first to warn people to back off.

It is called dual zone microwave and usually only works within a certain range of the windows but if you have the sensor placed in the bumper I suppose it would work.

Secondly (and this will probably cause a shit storm) but it is my personal experience that Clifford alarms are more trouble than they are worth, I'd get the Toad.
Basically it is down to the installer but Clifford seem to be more tricky.

I think you need to get the OCD in control, when I got my Range Rover I took a bat to it so I wouldn't be afraid to scrape it on things while I was off-roading.

I deliberately chose a scruffy S2K because it was cheaper and it will only get scuffed up anyway.

If you don't control your fears they will control you.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:46 PM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the replies, I have calmed down a bit now. Whilst the scrape bithers me I knew it was inevitable. I have briefly glanced at what I thought might have been the offending car and couldnt see any damage. I am now not ruling out the council who ollected christmas trees recently. I found a load of pine needles on by bonnet and between mine and he next car, and its not outside the realm of possibility them dragging it between cars did it. I will never know, and accept that.

The larger issue is whether Im using it enough to justify the hassle. Running costs arent an issue, and nor is a bumper respray once a year to be honest, its just the time it takes to get it sorted that im short on.

Ive been looking at a US product called bumper bully and bumper pad or something like that, you all may laugh, but if it gives me sone piece of mind that the numpties on my street wont cause any damage I might give it a go.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We moved house again before I bought my S (which was on my shopping list ) so a garage was essential and my S has lived in there almost every night since I bought it.

TBH I would have thought long & hard about buying an S or any sports car/convertible if I had to leave it in the street. Many do, but not for me - each to their own.

I am with Hockenheim, if you can afford to buy a 997 Turbo or M3 then renting a garage is surely the cheaper and safer option for now?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

If I were you I'd move somewhere with off road parking. Failing that sell up till you have somewhere decent to park! Can't be parking my car on the road every night!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 PM

so what happens when you use your car to go to the supermarket ? (as per your initial post)

I don't want to add to the problem but supermarket car parks are populated by brain donors

trolleys, brats and the worlds smallest parking spaces make me avoid them like the plague

Old 01-23-2011, 12:04 AM
MrM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GREGSTERWIZ,Jan 22 2011, 04:30 PM
so what happens when you use your car to go to the supermarket ? (as per your initial post)

I don't want to add to the problem but supermarket car parks are populated by brain donors

trolleys, brats and the worlds smallest parking spaces make me avoid them like the plague
Theres a massive Sainsburys nearby which has a series of single bays one side of a pillar and the other side is the main access road in the car park. Youd have to be a real retard to hit a car parked in one of those bays, which would signify you couldnt drive in a straight line. That position also means trolley swiping is also unlikley. Failing that theres enough one off bays that I can park in so that its not an issue.

There are plenty of "secure spaces" to rent, thats not the issue, the issue is that there arent many solo garages and that there are not many solo garages, or spces in close proximity to my house. Id be looking at a 5 min walk minimum, and as per my above post, I find im using my car very little at he moment, and garaging it would just make that issue worse I think.

This small damage is the first in over a year, and like I said, I cant rule out it was the council clearing chistmas trees, which has to be giewed as exceptionally unluvky if thats what it was.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:24 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MrM,Jan 22 2011, 08:33 AM
As an aside, does anyone know if a clifford style alarm with a proximity detector which starts the alarm if anything or anyone comes within 4 inches of my front bumper would work?
The trouble with proximity type alarms, kids love them and you don't want them near your car!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 AM

I find myself in a somewhat similar scenario in that I too have had my S for a few years now (going on 3) but I hardly ever use it. I already have another 2 cars (which also never get used as I commute by bike or travel abroad most of the time) so the S is just a weekend toy. I too am concerned about it getting ruined so its garaged away from my house (5 min drive).

I'm in central London and there are no decent roads to drive it on less than 1hr away and finding time for that, together with combining it with a sunny day, me being in the country and no other commitments is practically impossible! Add to the equation the factor that I like to keep it clean and under a soft cover, which you can't put on when dirty, and the fact that I don't have a good place to wash it (I only hand wash it mysefl) and its rarely used.

The fact is, I WANT to have a 'fun' car even though it doesn't make any sense at all from any other perspective! Its an irrational thing, but I can afford this extravagance for now and will do so as otherwise I will regret it later in life when I have kids etc and then will lack money, time and space too.

One of my conclusions so far has been to try and take it on a few track days this year, I think that the S2000 should be a great track car as its light and responsive. This would open a whole new ownership perspective and provide the car with a purpose / benefit other than just worrying about it. Its not worth much anymore these days and it would probably cost less than taking something like a 911 on track. Have youu considered something similar?

Where in London are you by the way?