UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear speaker selection advice

Old 11-26-2001, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since seeing/hearing Tyringe's rear speaker setup on Sunday I now need to do my own car, but not being 'up' on car audio, I don't know much about how to select the speakers.

I have already upgraded my front speakers (done by an expert who selected the speakers for me) with Infinity Reference 605cs components, which I am very happy with.
So my question is, how do I know how to select my rears, I would like to stay with Infinity reference and possibly the 452l components.

Are these suitable with the stock head unit???

Oh, if needed here is the tech spec on my fronts

Power - 90W RMS / 270W peak
Sensitivity - 92dB
Impedance - 4 Ohms
Freq response - 54Hz - 20Khz

And these are the proposed rears

Power - 35W RMS / 105W peak
Sensitivity - 92dB
Impedance - 4 Ohms
Freq response - 90Hz - 20Khz

Are they going to be too weak for me to hear them behind me??

Oh, the other option is save money and put the stock fronts in the rear - any thoughts

Thank you very much for any advice and sorry for the length of the post

Ross
Old 11-26-2001, 10:52 PM

Hi Ross,

if I go down the rear speaker route I too fancy a pair of the Infinities but Kappa 42-3i co-ax's (rather than components) to complement my Infinity Kappa front speakers. I spoke with Lucid about these some time ago and he had concerns about whether they would fit do to their large magnets, unfortunately he never got back to me on this....

Another speaker that has caught my eye is the Focal Audio Polyflex 100HC. Focal make awesome ICE speakers and I am thinking of a future upgrade to a pair of their components up front too.
Old 11-26-2001, 11:03 PM

Do the Kappa's have different magnets to the References? I've got 625i co-ax references in the front and they're fine. I actually preferred the sound of the References to the Kappas as I found the Kappa's too bright. Do you find that your Kappas make the door release mecahnism vibrate? At high to medium volumes you can hear the thin metal release bars vibrate!

I've tried Dynamating the speaker mount. This has the benefit of making the base a bit more precise but it's overshadowed by the metallic vibration. I considered getting some thin Dynamat to wrap around the bar to dampen it but I've not come across any. Any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2001, 11:47 PM

Hmmm, I've not gone at my doors with dynamat yet though since upgrading my head unit I am noticing some unpleasant noises in there

Looking at the inside of the panels (thanks to Colin Sato & Lucid for the pic's) I think that if you add dynamat to the potential lock bar/ door frame contact points behind the plastic weathersheet this will help cut out most of the rattles. I've had some good results in the past by covering the inside of the door skin behind the speakers with dynamat to damp standing waves etc.

My winter project maybe, I need to get a new pair of A pillar trims to mount tweeters in before moving onto component fronts (I just can't bring myslef to cut the door panels )
Old 11-26-2001, 11:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ross - as you will see from my sig. I have Polk components in the rear panel and I am very pleased woith them. It is a neat install - the x-over is attached to the rear of the 'hole' with velcro. The mag. on the 4" mid range is large - 3 1/8" diam. - I really dont think you can go any larger than this without cutting metal. Depth is not an issue - loads of space (even with the x-overs in place.

I experimented with high (rollover bar etc) tweeter locations, but this was to bricht for my ear, so the tweeters are in the rear panel as well (all cutting on a single panel - easier to return to stock if I want). A work of warning tho - after the squeeze of getting the mid ranges in, don't take the tweeters for granted - flush mounted they need 1" or so behind the panel - this is not as easily acheived as you may think!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 01:47 AM

Neodymium magnet speakers are your best bet for this location. They're much smaller than the standard magnet so you can get a larger cone speaker in that area as well. Their power handling is greater too. Even the 4" Neomagnet speakers I have can handle 60Rms /120 peak. The 5.25" are greater.

Tifosi Red: Sorry I didn't get back to you on your question. Its difficult to keep up sometimes. Basically Infinities have larger diameter magents, given other options for more power, larger cone, I'd look elsewhere.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:55 AM

I figured using components in the rear might be easier than trying to squeeze in a tweeter as well.

Lucid, thanks for your reply, I will take a look at some Neodymium's if I can find them. Am I right in thinking this is not a make but a type of magnet used by some manufacturers????
Old 11-27-2001, 06:44 AM

yes, some use it. When i see really expensive speakers that DON'T use these type of magnets it makes me question their value.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:48 AM

Do Kenwood still do "Dual-Mag" speakers? I used to have HQ components front and rear on a previous car and the magnets on those used to be tiny They still worked quite hard though...
Old 11-27-2001, 09:50 AM

I've got Kenny component Dual mags in my doors and they have very very small, light magnets and still carry awesome sound. You can get a 10cm (rear panel??) co-axial version if you did only want one speaker each side, but without the crossover i don't know how the sound will be different (they are only 40RMS as well).

I have the small 13cm components amped quite heavily (about 65/70RMS i think. You need smaller 4in ones for the rear panels though don't you?? I suspect there are better small speakers than the 10cm co-axials though.

If your looking for the small magnet - the dual mag components are as small as you'll ever see!!

Quick Reply: Rear speaker selection advice