UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rear Speakers and Head units etc

Old 10-25-2001, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Speakers and Head units etc

I have been having a look at Lucid's rear panels for our car. I am very impressed. However, as is common with my thoughts - I have become a little confused and my mind has filled with questions...

Jim, offered to let me buy a CD/MP3 head unit from him at a special price if I part exchanged my old head unit. I am waiting to see whether the fact that this is a tape/radio will change his mind on this. I thought his offer was very kind regardless of whether it sticks or not.

The whole package I was thinking of with him was a head unit and PAC connector plus rear panels. This would give me better all around sound and also keep my dash controls working (Including mute/off on all speakers)

Has anyone else gone this route in the UK?
When I spoke to an audio dealer in the UK he said that Jim's JVC Head unit would mean I lost 90% of my radio channels as the step increment would be out.

Is this so? My current Kenwood Stealth in my CRX moves in increments of .1 on FM - Isn't this normal now? I think that AM is steps of 9.

I quite like the idea of a head unit which plays CD-R's with 10 hours of MP3 on them. BUT as usual I want to keep my dash controls and also not have the dreaded CD jump.

Equally, I don't want to break the bank with ICE.

I want to make a decision on this soon and strike while the Iron is hot as it where.

All comments, abuse, mockery, common-sense is appreciated,

Sam.
Old 10-25-2001, 09:12 AM

I'm not in the UK, but I can tell you that putting better speakers in the doors and adding rear speakers makes a huge difference. They don't even need to be expensive...I used middle-line Kenwoods and spent about $150 on everything. I also did the whole job myself without much trouble. Lucid and others have provided wonderfull tips and directions in other threads and on his website.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2001, 09:16 AM

JohnyBoy thanks,

I am looking forward to the rear speakers (Can you do that???) as everyone has said that this makes a real difference. I guess it is the MP3 head unit/Radio/Dash control side of things that I need to get to grips with,

Sam.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:57 AM

Hi Simon,

IanL has installed rear speakers himself (Polk 4" components) and rates them highly, I too am going to go down this path when I upgrade my head unit.

One small snag (very small really) is that US head units have different tuning steps on the AM wavebands, this means you won't be able to get Radio 5 You'll still get FM OK

As you have probably read on other threads Alpine do an interface to the dash controls but you need to use their headunits, they do an MP3 in dash CD combo but it isn't cheap at
Old 10-26-2001, 06:28 PM

To me it doesn't matter what the UK spec radio is tape or not. I'd like to put some R&D into the unit and test the harneses I build.

If anyone else has a stock head laying around and would like to barter it for audio equipment please drop me a line.