S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Rear wheel arches (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/rear-wheel-arches-678385/)

Bassoctopus 03-08-2009 10:13 AM

Rear wheel arches

After checking the Teg underneath the rear wheel arch protectors (and finding little to no rust :dance2: ) I thought I'd do the same on the S2000.

So I removed the protectors and there's a little surface rust - not too much, but definitely worth catching now.

The amazing thing for me though was the amount of caked on mud around the inside of the arches (9yrs/100k worth). I need to get it on a ramp to have a real go at this before I get the car undersealed. Any salt in that mud though and it'll be rotting through.

The S2000 is getting to the age now where the early owners need to stay on top of this.

It's definitely worth getting those protectors off and having a look.

U9aXy6Dn 03-08-2009 10:17 AM

The rear arches on my s don't have a plastic liner like the fronts, am i alone - is there something missing or are you just referring to the build up of nature's finest?

jimmyb1978 03-08-2009 10:18 AM

Never really thought about removing them thinking the protectors protected them!! I never sell my cars unless I deform the shape somehow its beyond repair!! so Im hoping my S will be with me for years to come.

Once the weather warms up I think this will be my summer job. Thanks for the heads up

s2konroids 03-08-2009 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Mar 8 2009, 06:13 PM
After checking the Teg underneath the rear wheel arch protectors (and finding little to no rust :dance2: ) I thought I'd do the same on the S2000.

So I removed the protectors and there's a little surface rust - not too much, but definitely worth catching now.

The amazing thing for me though was the amount of caked on mud around the inside of the arches (9yrs/100k worth). I need to get it on a ramp to have a real go at this before I get the car undersealed. Any salt in that mud though and it'll be rotting through.

The S2000 is getting to the age now where the early owners need to stay on top of this.

It's definitely worth getting those protectors off and having a look.

Told you it was worth having a look Neil :thumbup:

I will be waxyoiling mine in a few months time.

I'm taking it into the bodyshop on tuesday, to have a few problems fixed this one of them.

Do you think its best to remove the rust myself with my Hammerite rust stuff and let him spray, or just let him apply the hammerite rust stuff?.

Or once sprayed put the liners back on and waxoyoil beforehand?

Or a better solution overall?

Are you keeping your wheel liners off?

Bassoctopus 03-08-2009 11:15 AM

I don't think those liners will go back on easily.

Mine is at Lloyds for a service/mot in a couple of weeks. If everything else is ok I might ask them how much they will charge to sort them out. I have a really nasty rust patch on the O/S/F wing in the bottom corner behind the wheel arch. That needs sorting asap.

I have a good bodyshop locally so I'll get a quote from him too.

If you're hoping to keep the car long term, you must keep an eye on this. It's well known on the DC2 Teg forums and they all remove the protectors and leave them off.

GB on waxoyling AJ? I need the Teg done too

Nick Graves 03-08-2009 11:28 AM

Kaercher do a special lance to clean out yer rear arches.

It's a critical area on every Honda...

Bassoctopus 03-08-2009 11:47 AM

What does it look like Nick? I have a Kercher :)

s2konroids 03-08-2009 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Mar 8 2009, 07:15 PM

Mine is at Lloyds for a service/mot in a couple of weeks. If everything else is ok I might ask them how much they will charge to sort them out. I have a really nasty rust patch on the O/S/F wing in the bottom corner behind the wheel arch. That needs sorting asap.

If you're hoping to keep the car long term, you must keep an eye on this. It's well known on the DC2 Teg forums and they all remove the protectors and leave them off.

Oh okay, i will just leave them off then makes more sense.

Haha, you have the same rust patch and same position as i do! :)

Probably will keep it long term :)

GB on waxoyling, sure!. Do you want to organise or me?. I dont know how much would be needed to do one car though?. PM me if you want to sort out the GB, suppliers, prices etc.

Cheers Neil :thumbup:

P.S Lloylds sent a spark plug cover bolt for nothing! :thumbup: was 80 odd pence but still!. :)

Nick Graves 03-08-2009 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Mar 8 2009, 07:47 PM
What does it look like Nick? I have a Kercher :)

What's that - a dog?

Nick Graves 03-08-2009 12:12 PM

Like this

http://www.espares.co.uk/datastore/P...ges/665079.jpg

Bassoctopus 03-08-2009 12:23 PM

Cheers Nick :)

Bassoctopus 03-08-2009 12:26 PM

I'll give it some thought AJ. I have someone who may do it. I'll get roind to calling them at some point

Bandit_287 03-08-2009 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Mar 8 2009, 06:35 PM
Told you it was worth having a look Neil :thumbup:

I will be waxyoiling mine in a few months time.

I'm taking it into the bodyshop on tuesday, to have a few problems fixed this one of them.

Do you think its best to remove the rust myself with my Hammerite rust stuff and let him spray, or just let him apply the hammerite rust stuff?.

Or once sprayed put the liners back on and waxoyoil beforehand?

Or a better solution overall?

Are you keeping your wheel liners off?

The only proper way to remove rust affected area is to cut it out completey,all of these chemicals that claim to be rust removers are just inhibitors and in my experience the rust only comes back in time...

Cut it out re-fill and re-spray,that way you can be sure its sorted for good..

s2konroids 03-08-2009 01:41 PM

Sure i know this already but thanks for the heads up :thumbup:. It will obviously be cleaned beforehand i know what to do ;).

Yes unfortunatley it slows it down rather than a complete prevention, the other option is rust arriving :LOL:

I have see a few landrovers with it done, but they tend to redue every so often.

Bandit_287 03-08-2009 01:49 PM

:thumbup: :thumbup:

s2konroids 03-08-2009 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit_287,Mar 8 2009, 09:49 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

If I'd of had the car from new it would of been done, i was meant to do it 3 years ago as well :(

I'm just debating to paint the wishbones with POR or not, i know they dont really need it but might aswell :)

m1bjr 03-08-2009 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bandit_287,Mar 8 2009, 09:28 PM
The only proper way to remove rust affected area is to cut it out completey

Or grit blast.

That's how many classic bodies are treated before paint.

Ultra_Nexus 03-08-2009 03:53 PM

Like Nick says, the rear arches are a super critical maintenance point on ALL Hondas.

However, unless you are a big sissy, just use your fingers to scrape away the dirt instead of spending

s2konroids 03-08-2009 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=Hypersonik,Mar 8 2009, 11:53 PM] Like Nick says, the rear arches are a super critical maintenance point on ALL Hondas.

However, unless you are a big sissy, just use your fingers to scrape away the dirt instead of spending

martin j 03-09-2009 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Mar 8 2009, 11:53 PM
Whatever you do, remove those silly anti-rust strips.

They only make things worse.

Do you mean the plastic strips around the wheel arch?

U9aXy6Dn 03-09-2009 01:51 PM

So you do have plastic rear arch liners.. can anybody show me a pic please?

s2konroids 03-09-2009 01:57 PM

Goto your back wheel.

The arch has a strip that runs from the bottom all the way round to the other side, its a peice of thin rubber thats in the shap of an upside U.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/absimage4.jpg

Rubbish pic, but where the yellow marks are the strip runs along here, its about 1.25metres long, by 1 width.

E4RTH WORM JIM 03-09-2009 02:09 PM

The black strip, See arrows

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r...wie84/trim.jpg

s2konroids 03-09-2009 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by JD_S2k,Mar 9 2009, 10:09 PM

:thumbup:

better than my photo :)

martin j 03-09-2009 02:22 PM

Thought that's what you meant. Ta.

jammy_rex 03-09-2009 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Mar 8 2009, 11:15 AM

Yes perhaps it is a good idea to waxoil, can definitely see the benefits - but comparing with the ITR is not strictly like for like. I had a '98 ITR, and yes it was showing signs of rust on the rear arches. But, the DC2 Teg was an earlier generation of Honda (basic design dating from 1992 so in actual fact almost 2 generations behind the S2000 in terms of model evolution, with many Hondas at that time operating on a 4 year model lifecycle, but the Teg was unusual in having a near 9 year lifecycle, though of course Type-Rs were only introduced in '95 in Japan & '98 in the UK) - but the point is that rust proofing was just not as good during that earlier period, when the ITR was conceived.

However, later Hondas have been far far better at rust resistance. You dont see many Civics (3 door) post '96 with rust unless they are dog rough and not looked after, I've never seen any post '97 Preludes or '98 Accords with rust etc. Interestingly post '01 Civics ditched the rear wheel arch liners though... Again, I've never seen this model showing signs of rust.

So, overall I believe that these later generation of Hondas are inherently more rust resistant, but as you say it would be sensible to protect our cars regardless...

Bassoctopus 03-09-2009 10:38 PM

My s2000 - V plate 98k miles and my Teg - X plate 116k miles are showing exactly the same level of rust.

Nick Graves 03-10-2009 02:40 AM

[QUOTE=Hypersonik,Mar 8 2009, 11:53 PM] Like Nick says, the rear arches are a super critical maintenance point on ALL Hondas.

Nick Graves 03-10-2009 02:46 AM

Jammy,

Some of the earliest BB5-8 Preludes are over a decade old and are beginning to show early signs of tinworm.

Much better than the BB1-4 models (which rear tinworm is a PIA for owners) but it's a function of age.

The lack of arch edge protection on the EU/EP Civics may be a sign of the creeping de-contentment and ordinary-isation of Hondas and we'll pick this up in 2012 to see who is right!

s2konroids 03-10-2009 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,Mar 10 2009, 10:46 AM
we'll pick this up in 2012 to see who is right!

Okay, i'll see you on the S3000 forum :)

Bassoctopus 03-18-2009 10:49 AM

I received my Karcher attachment today and promptly did Teg, ATR and S2000. Then I needed to spend 30 minutes cleaning my drive!!!!

Recommended.

Thanks for the gravel rash tip Nick, I'm going to get the rear wheel arches start of rust sorted then I'll get some new rubber covering.

Is it possible to re-use the old rubber lining or should I buy new (presumably it doesn't need to be Honda?)

s2konroids 03-18-2009 01:47 PM

Hi Neil, i detailed my car today.

I also got the surface rust removed, treated and sprayed by the bodyshop.

:)

Bassoctopus 03-19-2009 01:54 AM

How much did they charge? Have you covered them back up with the original protectors?

s2konroids 03-19-2009 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus,Mar 19 2009, 09:54 AM
How much did they charge? Have you covered them back up with the original protectors?

I had the rust sorted out on one of the arches and the underneath of these wheel liners sprayed.

It cost around

Bassoctopus 03-19-2009 02:16 AM

Did you read nick's post about gravel rash?

s2konroids 03-19-2009 02:19 AM

I did, might put them back on but I'll see how it goes if i see evidence of it then I will sort it and put them back on.

Rust or gravel rash :)

You could put a protectant on them or film like you get on the underside, its a rough surface, you see this on lexus and mercs.

Bit of a double edged sword.

Bassoctopus 03-19-2009 02:29 AM

Getting a price for new Honda liners - I'll report back.

Bassoctopus 03-19-2009 02:36 AM

Bassoctopus 03-19-2009 04:57 AM

Or I might get some of this and see how it compares

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?pro...im&FrostSubcat=

samg1988 03-15-2011 11:32 PM

Whats with all the major 2 year old thread resurrection going on? Is it really necessary?

richmc 03-16-2011 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by samg1988 (Post 20367714)
Whats with all the major 2 year old thread resurrection going on? Is it really necessary?

Beacause the post before yours is a bloke trying to sell rear arch liners, he can't get it that no one wants them. Look at his profile it says sponsor so he can post what he likes and won't be bumped. I've got him on ignore and just happened to be using a mates PC so saw the post. there are no rear liners OEM to assist air flow around the exhaust etc.
Just need a whoosh with the pressure washer when you wash the car and a check the underseal is OK.

This guy has more reusserections to his name than Jesus!

James Rowe 03-16-2011 12:33 AM

*Runs outside to have a look*

Bassoctopus 03-16-2011 02:08 AM

Had mine painted a couple of years ago and checked the underseal again last week. underseal was starting to crumble and very slight onset of rust on the inside of the lip.

So I took a wire brush to it, then kurust then used the spray on underseal.

This should be an annual check on these cars.

Nick Graves 03-16-2011 04:06 AM

From womb to tomb.

From erection to resurrection.

Well it's 2012 and there is minimal rust on even the Civic. That was exacerbated by repairing a nerf the car suffered. Probably not worth restoring it just yet.

Tip top; if you've ever got access to the inside of the seam, drown the f ucker in Bilt Hamber (seems to be popular right now) or good ol' Waxoyl.

Bassoctopus 03-16-2011 05:00 AM

ATR seems much hardier in this respect. 02 plate and still in good nick. Although maybe it's because I was wise to the problem earlier in the car's life. Then again it might be because they undersealed it better being a European based car.

Paper Lawyer 03-16-2011 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves (Post 20368048)
Tip top; if you've ever got access to the inside of the seam, drown the f ucker in Bilt Hamber (seems to be popular right now) or good ol' Waxoyl.

I've got the Bilt Hamber rust eating juice - I used it on some bolts last year. Pretty effective stuff and I'd consider buying the gel version. I also use the Bilt Hamber clay bar for the annual car cleaning session.

hammyS2 03-16-2011 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by James Rowe (Post 20367794)
*Runs outside to have a look*

...also pops outside to have a look and...

CJ - no covers on mine either (2008) so they were either not fitted, fell off or have been thieved!!!

Glad I read this thread though as I thought I was safe in the knowing that the regular use of a hose would keep it clean. No chance!! So using the cheap approach with fingers I removed at least 2 inches of crud in places!!
Makes me wonder if the previous owner was a farmer or made a habit of spinning off into fields :D

Cheers :thumbup:

richmc 03-17-2011 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by hammyS2 (Post 20369924)
...also pops outside to have a look and...

CJ - no covers on mine either (2008) so they were either not fitted, fell off or have been thieved!!!

Glad I read this thread though as I thought I was safe in the knowing that the regular use of a hose would keep it clean. No chance!! So using the cheap approach with fingers I removed at least 2 inches of crud in places!!
Makes me wonder if the previous owner was a farmer or made a habit of spinning off into fields :D

Cheers :thumbup:

2 inches! watch out that could make the back end lighter! :ponder:

hammyS2 03-17-2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by richmc (Post 20371310)
2 inches! watch out that could make the back end lighter! :ponder:

Funny you should say that ... took it out for a spin last night and it was a bit lively. Then I realised it might have been the cold damp misty conditions that she loved :D

rocy 03-20-2011 08:52 AM

One of the first jobs I did with my s2k was to give the rear arches a good clean, a lot of owners never clean the arches did the same with my 200sx. wheels off, rubber strips removed and arches brushed clean. I then re-undersealed them using a compressor and gun, bought new rubber strips, about £12 each from Honda. Filled them full of black silicon and then refitted them, wiping away any excess from the body work. Once it had all dried I gave the arches another coat of underseal. I guess only time will tell how effective it is...

Nick Graves 03-20-2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bassoctopus (Post 20368217)
ATR seems much hardier in this respect. 02 plate and still in good nick. Although maybe it's because I was wise to the problem earlier in the car's life. Then again it might be because they undersealed it better being a European based car.

The 'Lude is likewise. But the overall BQ/PQ of the larger plank is somewhat greater than that of the Civic plank. But it's only a matter of time; even NSXs suffer corrosion!

Bassoctopus 03-20-2011 11:36 AM

Cleaned up the wheels on the ATR today and there was virtually no corrosion after 8 years/100k miles. Impressive compared to the S2k wheels ;)