UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Refurbishing wheel centres

Old 10-01-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eho,Oct 1 2010, 02:38 PM
Get a can of laquer spray from halford and coat a few layers on them. It will definately last longer.

Nice looking caps, I prob do mine when I have time.
I had considered this as others who use this have talked about laquering it to give a more realistic wet look carbon.

so before spraying them i decided to do a tester.

i wrapped a random item on my desk, not the best work, but it wasn't the work i was interested in but what would happen if i laquered it

here is the usb stand pre laquer

and here are several shots afterwards.

as you can see most of the detail is lost once you add the laquer, it also doesn't harden the vinyl either and has a habit of lifting edges, part of that is a poor fit on my behalf, but the laquer doesn't seem to help.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:34 AM
PHo

wow!

they look absolutely amazing!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM

Where did you get the carbon rap roll from?
Old 10-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fontal,Oct 1 2010, 04:41 PM
Where did you get the carbon rap roll from?
Ebay jobbie
Old 10-01-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Friend of mine does this but he uses cloth carbon roll and clear resin, gives a much better finish - think it's tougher too.

He's covered allsorts of bits and bobs but i'm sure you could apply the same process to wheel centres.

Quite a lot of sanding / polishing IIRC and quite a lot of trial and error too.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:51 AM

i've done real carbon wrapping before, and as you say it is a lot of extra work, i jsut wanted something quick and easy. when i refurb the wheels in the spring i will buy new wheel centres. the originals are about 50 quid this cost me nothing to do.

when i get some new ones i might experiment on the old ones and do a set in real carbon.

very tepmted to make a mould from them and just make a proper carbon front instead of skinning it.

i do like a little hobby project. and making a mould and laying carbon is far easier than skinning
Old 10-01-2010, 11:05 AM

uncle fester, i really like what your mates done there. got any more pics of his stuff. he got a really good finish there, which is not easy with this stuff. very professional looking.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:07 AM

If yours are the original wheel centres, they corrode from behind - they really are just posh milk bottle caps folded over the plastic cap. For what Honda charge, they should be solid aluminium.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 AM

yeah they are original OZ racing wheel centres.

just did some calculations the cost of all the bits to carbon wrap for real would be about 40 quid, and for a tenner more i can get new ones direct from OZ.

and yes they are posh bottle tops. its a plastic body with a pressed ally cover and a laquer.

alot of money for what they are.

never know i might keep re wrapping them every 12 months then i can have different ones each time
Old 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM

Mine lasted about 9 months before they started to bubble, when i refurb them again next year, i'm going to rip the old metal off and build the plastic up with P38 to a nice level surface and then put the logo of choice on that then lacquer it.

I always knew they'd need redoing, same as you, i'm just not prepared to spend silly money on doing it.

Quick Reply: Refurbishing wheel centres