UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Replacement rear calipers

Old 06-22-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Shaddow

I wait on Define198 then maybe order a pair of new rear calipers, paint them to match my old carriers, the get my dealer to install the whole shebang ( including the new front discs and pads I have lying around )
Old 06-22-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Thanks Shaddow

I wait on Define198 then maybe order a pair of new rear calipers, paint them to match my old carriers, the get my dealer to install the whole shebang ( including the new front discs and pads I have lying around )
didnt turn up today, hopefully tomorrow!
Old 06-23-2015, 07:40 AM

Calipers turned up, and i can confirm they are fully built, here is a picture of them, they also come with 4x new slider pin dust covers as well.

Hopefully get them fitted this saturday along with new fresh motul RBF 600 fluid

Old 06-23-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Looking good - don't forget (like I did initially) to line up the cross on the piston with the locator pin on the back of the pad
Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 AM

Define

Are those the ones on eBay I listed above?

Does the actuator need to be taken off the old calipers?
Old 06-23-2015, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Define

Hi, yes they are the ebay ones in the listing you linked to, no actuator needs to be swapped over from the old caliper
Old 06-23-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Looking good - don't forget (like I did initially) to line up the cross on the piston with the locator pin on the back of the pad
Hopefully can work it out when i have them in pieces, not done anything like this before so its going to be a learning curve, do i screw in the piston as far as it will go and then re-align the cross? and by locator pin do you mean the sticking out piece of metal on the backside of one of the pads?
Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Define198
Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000' timestamp='1435074369' post='23657435
Define

Hi, yes they are the ebay ones in the listing you linked to, no actuator needs to be swapped over from the old caliper

Excellent ! I'll get my order in.

I guess I can live with my old painted carriers on the rear calipers
Old 06-23-2015, 11:04 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Define198
...and by locator pin do you mean the sticking out piece of metal on the backside of one of the pads?
Yep the little nobble on the inside pad. I think the recommended way of doing it is to actually wind the piston out a bit so there's enough clearance to fit it over the disc and pads but still keeps the pin located.

It's a hard-to-find bit of info on the forum but the bleed procedure for the S2000 seems to be fronts first then rears (FR, FL, RR, RL) as opposed to the usual "start furthest from the ABS pump/master cylinder method"

While I'm here, instead of my one-man bleed pipe, I used my Pela 6000 oil extractor/vacuum pump to pull the fluid through, never done it like that before and you can't tell if the air is fully out as it sucks past the bleed screw thread, but does the job with no issues. Much better than using an Eezibleed (that you'd need the £15 multipurpose cap for plus the Eezibleed kit @ £15 in the first place) which involves a spare tyre, deflating it to 15psi, squirting pressurised brake fluid out of the reservoir cap - too much of a faff and a hazard to paintwork!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Originally Posted by Define198' timestamp='1435074646' post='23657445
...and by locator pin do you mean the sticking out piece of metal on the backside of one of the pads?
Yep the little nobble on the inside pad. I think the recommended way of doing it is to actually wind the piston out a bit so there's enough clearance to fit it over the disc and pads but still keeps the pin located.

It's a hard-to-find bit of info on the forum but the bleed procedure for the S2000 seems to be fronts first then rears (FR, FL, RR, RL) as opposed to the usual "start furthest from the ABS pump/master cylinder method"

While I'm here, instead of my one-man bleed pipe, I used my Pela 6000 oil extractor/vacuum pump to pull the fluid through, never done it like that before and you can't tell if the air is fully out as it sucks past the bleed screw thread, but does the job with no issues. Much better than using an Eezibleed (that you'd need the £15 multipurpose cap for plus the Eezibleed kit @ £15 in the first place) which involves a spare tyre, deflating it to 15psi, squirting pressurised brake fluid out of the reservoir cap - too much of a faff and a hazard to paintwork!
i was hoping to just gravity bleed the system using the guide found on here and change the fluid at the same time, dont think i need any special tools to do that?

Quick Reply: Replacement rear calipers