UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Resurrecting/restoring a track day legend

Old 10-21-2017, 01:56 PM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

Looking good, very imformative thread Ray
Old 10-22-2017, 12:54 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Looking good, very imformative thread Ray
This!

I'm hoping eventually to do a rebuild of my engine, partly to make it last as long as possible, partly for interest's sake. Threads like this are a great bit of learning for me.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:55 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Glad my old engine is now finally proving of some use to you bud!

Canna wait to hear her up and running again
Old 10-23-2017, 01:44 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

While waiting for the retainers to arrive, will you be dealing with the bores?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:33 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Up rated retainers and collets arrived,,(thanks Mike), I'll only be fitting them to the inlet sides so 1 set was good enough for two engines as Mike is going to replace his over the winter,

First off blow out all the oil galleries and anywhere else there is a cavity that could collect debris

Also make sure you blow out any bolt holes as just a small amount of oil or cleaning fluid left in these will cause the bolt to hydraulic and give a false torque reading which isn't good for the cam bearings

The old and new retainers side by side,

The extra material adds up to more weight x by 8,

First of all is to fit the spring seats and valve stem seals, as Chippo pointed out in his rebuild thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...tches-1166752/ black EX and silver INLET,
the best way is to find a socket the just fits snugly over the spring and tap then on gently til they seat down,

don't use a lot of force just a gentle tap

Then it's on to the springs these are also colour coded yellow INLET and blue EX, fit the spring compressor and then fit the fiddly little bast@rd keepers, the best way i have found is to use a lightly magnetised small screwdriver or just stick a small magnet to a screwdriver shaft then place a small drop of grease on the collet inner face this will hold it in position til you release the compressor,

Don't forget to give all the valves a tap on the top of the stem to make sure all the collets are seated correctly
Old 11-16-2017, 07:45 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Does Ang know you're using her best fluffy white towels in the garage?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Does Ang know you're using her best fluffy white towels in the garage?
She does now,
Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was wondering about the collets, they were fiddly enough in the packet. Certainly looks like a better job on a bench than in the engine. I look forward to have a go haha
Old 11-16-2017, 09:16 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Great thread RayDave!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:00 AM

A little more progress in between regular jobs,

New main bearings and thrust washers fitted, taking note of the colour markings on the bearings match the coding on the crank and carrier and the thrusts are the correct way around,

then make sure all the carbon build up is cleaned out of the ring lands but being careful not to under cut them there are two ways to do this the first is with an old ring

or with a cleaning tool designed for the job so you don't end up cutting your hand to ribbons with the old ring

so you end up with something like this also making sure the oil return holes are clear for the scraper ring

then it's drop every thing in the block and tight to the correct torque

one thing i forgot to mention was that i checked the oil squirter bolts to see if they had being upgraded which they had, now bare in mind i have stripped 3 self destructed engines and as this is a tight arse (budget) rebuild this gave me a total of 12 bolts to choose from, well sad to say this was not the case as only 2 were any good all the other 10 had suffered spring failure meaning the ball bearing wasn't being held on it's seat, they are supposed to stay seated till about 28psi to maintain good oil pressure at idle, now this isn't a problem if i'm vtecing it all the time but as we know on today's roads you can end up stuck in traffic for quite a chunk of your journey if it's being used as a daily, every little helps so 4 new ones duly bought and 80 bone to add to the tally.

Quick Reply: Resurrecting/restoring a track day legend