UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Enhancing 1st > 2nd gear smoothness

Old 02-27-2018, 06:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Enhancing 1st > 2nd gear smoothness

I've had the car over 5 years now, and over the years I've tried numerous things to sort this, but nothing works long term - is there anything else that people have figured out to make this smoother?

I typically double clutch 1st>2nd shifts until the gearbox is warm, (and 2nd>3rd most the time) but feel like there is still room for improvement - I've had:
  • Gearbox fluid changed every other year (average 6k miles a year)
  • Clutch fluid changed and bled every year
  • Clutch freeplay checked and adjusted every couple of years (no play)
  • New master clutch cylinder a couple of years ago
  • Slave cylinder removed, greased, (the nipple smoothed down on the end of the rod the first time), checked every year
  • Shifter inside the centre console removed and re-greased every year
Anything I'm missing?

Thanks.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grease the gearbox shaft splines?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...-shaft-946354/
The following users liked this post:
Riknos (03-05-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:20 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Riknos (03-05-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you do a lot of reading regarding the oils and synchromesh additives, it basically covers up an underlying issue. The issue is really the syncro's between 1st & 2nd being worn. Apparently the control additives to make shifting like silk, are all friction modifiers that increase overall gear wear anyway. Its nearly impossible to obtain or find any data to confirm the wear rates or effective wear rates of different oils/gears.

Essentially the only proper way forward to rebuild with new synchros. Anything else added is to mask something inherent within the box. Saying that, for what its worth in terms of wear and if the box is already notchy chuck some of the modified stuff in.

Apologies, I know that's saying one thing then another. Haha
Riknos (03-05-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

please dont use royal purple i have known 2 boxes to fail using this oil and a rx8 box also.

as Mtunreal says worn syncros, my box is getting bad and 1st to 2nd is very notch and a whine when off the loud pedal, box replacement time me thinks but race car so it can wait
Riknos (03-05-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 08:39 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Replaced my gear shifter bushing in car and was better once run in only £15
Riknos (03-05-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 04:12 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a new spring and plastics with bushing to do this job.
Riknos (03-05-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 10:15 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

If the dog teeth on the synchros are worn there's not much you can do, but when the gear selection starts to feel a little rough I'll very gently apply pressure on the knob for the gear I want ( i.e. 2nd or 3rd) with the clutch down and just wait until it just goes in, then repeat a couple of times - in effect slipping the contact surfaces against each other. I have no empirical evidence this works but I'm sure it cleans up and beds in the surfaces and lets fresh gearbox oil transfer the torque (rather than old oil and the metal / carbon coated surfaces) to get the next cog up to speed with less chance of grinding those precious teeth.

Also, I feel with the clutch delay valve removed it gives me better control of the clutch, it won't directly help but might be worth putting on your todo list.

The final thing is that I'm convinced the reputation for a "rifle bolt" gear selection is a little over-egged on the S2000, so maybe just live with it
Riknos (03-05-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 01:28 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Two points, no guaranteed cure as such....if you insist on using 1st to 2nd from cold start-up then try putting pressure towards the left as you pull back (as in aiming diagonally) The other point was mentioned by a bloke named Bob Houghton who deals with Ferrari, he always tells owners not to use 2nd gear until the car has warmed up, always go 1st to 3rd. It works for me perfectly, been doing it so long now I don't even think about it until I'm aware its a long journey so after roughly 30 minutes driving I can then use 2nd should I need too & its smooth as any other car...
Riknos (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All - thanks for the advice, firstly:

Originally Posted by fullleather
if you insist on using 1st to 2nd from cold start-up then try putting pressure towards the left as you pull back (as in aiming diagonally)
Tried that today - was even worse! Doing the opposite (i.e aiming for bottom right of 1st > 2nd gear area, it was fine)

Just to clarify, it's not a synchro issue I have, it's more of a gearbox clunkiness - and no noise in gear.

Originally Posted by noodels
Replaced my gear shifter bushing in car and was better once run in only £15
I'll give this as a go - any idea what the part is called and where I can get it?? Had a quick Google but no such luck!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Enhancing 1st > 2nd gear smoothness