UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Resurrecting/restoring a track day legend

Old 10-04-2016, 02:08 PM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

The car has being no garage queen and was used as Honda intended. Simon did keep her well looked after but time and use have started to see her frayed around the edge's a little so i'll make a list of all the other jobs that need doing to bring it back up to scratch which Simon had already listed as jobs to do if he had kept the car,

Wheel refurb
some corrosion underneath
de-rust and paint suspension components and subframe's
roof although showing signs of wear is water tight but seems to be banging on the roll hoops
clean up rust around the engine bay
cut out corrosion and repair rear arch's
headlamp refurb

All usual stuff for an S2000 and things a few can relate to so will be tackling these as well,
Old 10-04-2016, 11:01 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Don't forget the rust on the passenger side sill as well.

Suspension arms are relatively new, so shouldn't be too bad.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love threads like this, keep it coming.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:39 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

That's a familiar old car - I'd even learned the reg. no without actually meaning to. Bloody beancounters & numbers...

It'll be interesting to see the old bus restored to working again.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:46 AM

Just stripped tom's old engine and the problem was No2 cyl both the big end bolts were loose and piston was hitting the cyl head this had peen'd the edge of the piston slightly and put very light score marks on the bores but the block looks salvageable with a light clean up of the bore,

There was plenty of oil in the crank journal and on the bearing so did the bolts come loose causing the shell wear or did the shell wear allow the bolts to come loose because of the pounding, i'm sure Nick graves mentioned something about this somewhere before but can't seem to find it,

so we have a good block 3 pistons and rods now to strip one of the other engines in search of a good crank and a piston or two
Old 10-06-2016, 04:46 AM

That's very interesting.

I've had several theories about these conrod issues and vaguely remember that discussion about big ends being hammered off, but not its context...wasn't it a snapped-off bearing shell on someone's engine and it looked like one of the conrod bolts had backed out and overloaded the remaining one and snapped it off?

I've long held suspicions that these witness marks aren't always reliable witnesses - bores damaged by mis-alignment, rather than ring pick-up due to lubrication problems, etc.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
That's very interesting.

I've had several theories about these conrod issues and vaguely remember that discussion about big ends being hammered off, but not its context...wasn't it a snapped-off bearing shell on someone's engine and it looked like one of the conrod bolts had backed out and overloaded the remaining one and snapped it off?

I've long held suspicions that these witness marks aren't always reliable witnesses - bores damaged by mis-alignment, rather than ring pick-up due to lubrication problems, etc.
i'll get some pictures up later, the bore damage is from the piston pounding into the head and sustaining damage, but the end cap had backed of enough for debris to get between the two mating surface's, i'll pull another big end bolt and measure the two
Old 10-06-2016, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
Originally Posted by Nick Graves' timestamp='1475758013' post='24078002
That's very interesting.

i'll get some pictures up later, the bore damage is from the piston pounding into the head and sustaining damage, but the end cap had backed of enough for debris to get between the two mating surface's, i'll pull another big end bolt and measure the two
I suppose a T-shaped piston would be a bit of a tight fit in the bore.

Interesting about the debris build-up between the cap and rod. One might have though such a gap would have made a bit of a noticeable big-end knock before letting go!
Old 10-06-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It did make a horrific noise. Liken it to a claw hammer on a tin shed roof and that was the noise.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:59 AM

That'd be it.

How long for, before it stopped?

Quick Reply: Resurrecting/restoring a track day legend