UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof Cleaning

Old 07-13-2001, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roof Cleaning

My manuel does not give any instruction on soft top cleaning other than describing the methods for cleaning fabric and vinyl items generally. Till now I've always treated it the same as the rest of the car, pre hose wetting, bucket and sponge with Auto Glym car shampoo, hose clean, dry off with leather. I've not used any specific treatment for the soft top believing it to be fabric, and worrying quite frankly about doing the wrong thing.

The suprise is, it is in fact Vinyl. I know it looks like fabric but it isn't. The advice you find in FAQ on this subject may not have been amended yet but is due to be. I looked at an Auto Glym Cabriolet Fabric Hood Maintenance Kit in Halfords. In a note on the side of the carton it advises that on vinyl surfaces they advise the use of Autoglym Car Interior Shampoo to clean and Autoglym Bumper Care to protect. What are your views please.. How do you clean yours
Old 07-13-2001, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cedric,

Treat the hood with Auto Glym Bumper Care. It is very good indeed. It helps to protect, keeps the water in its place (outside) and makes the vinyl look great.

I now simply wash with water and a soft brush.
I let bird plops go hard and simply brush them off dry.

No problems up to now.

Hope this helps,

AnDy.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:46 AM

Cedric,

The best advice I can give you is to get yourself off to your local Porsche dealership, go to the parts dept and get some Boxster Roof Cleaner and Conditioner.

The cleaner is a shampoo you can use all over the car, PH balanced so will not leave a residue, brings the roof upto brand new

The conditioner is superb, it is an aerosol, so you can only use on a non windy day or in the garage. Gives all the extra protection you need, also whenever it rains from now on, the rain will 'bead' up like it does when you have just finished polishing your car.

My Valet thinks that it is possibly made by Zymol for porsche, we all know what the americans think of Zymol.

Anthony
Old 07-13-2001, 06:31 PM

I too did the AutoGlym bumper care..... I found it quite hard work. It's a green gunge which needs spreading over the roof. Difficult to get an even spread (gets stuck in the dimples in the "fabric").

I've got to admit when I first put it on I thought I'd cocked up and used the wrong stuff. This was compounded when I did my next wash and I got the stuff on the bodywork (comes off and doesn't damage it). Looks great - I didn't realise how grubby the roof looked without it!

After 3 months it still looks good. Water hates it, it beads, forms little pools and then runs off. I didn't do the roof under the rear screen and you can see the difference - water tends to soak into the material where it's untreated.

I can highly recommend it if you've got a day you want to spend on the car!
Old 07-14-2001, 12:10 AM

The first time I used it I also thought I had cocked up.
It is best to spread it with a little sponge. Once the sponge is loaded, it spreads nicely.
I can highly recommend getting a copy of Auto Glyms video, which instructs on how to use all of its products properly. I was lucky enough to borrow a copy of a friend on this board (cheers Dave)as I couldnt find it in the shops.

Old 07-14-2001, 03:32 AM

Ive not treated my hood yet !

I think I may get some of that Autoglym bumper care stuff...

But in general ive not had any problems cleaning it... just use water. Like andy, I just brush bird muck off when its dried.
Old 07-14-2001, 03:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bird plops!!
Old 07-14-2001, 09:01 AM

The Auto glym bumper care stuff should only be needed to be applied once every 6 months for complete protection.
Takes about 20 mins.

Make sure you use a small sponge though....makes a big difference.
Old 07-15-2001, 05:58 AM

Im gonna get some of that.

Just curious though...
Does it get affected by putting the hood down ? crack or crease marks on the protectant ??

jonathan

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY
The Auto glym bumper care stuff should only be needed to be applied once every 6 months for complete protection.
Takes about 20 mins.

Make sure you use a small sponge though....makes a big difference.
Old 07-15-2001, 06:24 AM

Not at all, it gets absorbed into the hood fabric within about 20 mins and dries fully.
One container should easily last a couple of applications.

AnDy

Quick Reply: Roof Cleaning