UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof doesn't lower fully

Old 02-21-2014, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mark. I'll look for something to rap around the bar then.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Mine has the Lizard Skins fitted, but age has taken it's toll.
It's the OEM roof from 2005, but small holes are appearing behind the windows at the base.

No leaks yet, but reckon it will need a new roof next year.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 AM
MIP

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Right i have just been out with the lizard skins trying to see where best to position them to stop wear and tear.

It became quite clear that the wear on my hood is not from the area where everyone else sticks their lizard skins. One previous post shows putting them here.

My wear is coming from the bar here, so i have wrapped half of one of these lizard skins around that area.

As the hood moves from horizontal to vertical the bar rubs against it and wears through, in fact you can see on my photo that the wear line is inline with one of the bends on the bar where the metal protrudes out a little.
I wouldn't have thought so. Your wear is likely coming from where the arrow is pointing in your first picture. The edges of that piece are squared off and a bit sharp. When the roof is fully folded down, they come into contact and saw away at the fabric.

That's exactly where I had a hole in mine. While the roof was being replaced I rounded off the edges of that part of the frame to a smooth round edge (on both sides). 60k miles since, and no wear.

Incidentally, anyone who's roof doesn't fold properly: until you change the elastic, when the roof is half way down, simply push the bar backward manually (the bar the elastic is attached to that would normally be above your head when the roof is up).
Old 02-21-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MIP
I wouldn't have thought so. Your wear is likely coming from where the arrow is pointing in your first picture. The edges of that piece are squared off and a bit sharp. When the roof is fully folded down, they come into contact and saw away at the fabric.

That's exactly where I had a hole in mine. While the roof was being replaced I rounded off the edges of that part of the frame to a smooth round edge (on both sides). 60k miles since, and no wear.
That's exactly where my problem was starting, and in addition to doing what you did I stuck patches on the inside for further protection. IIRC this problem was highlighted on a recall notice issued in the US.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:28 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Cheers for the advice, i have ordered some neoprene tape which i will put on that part of the frame to reduce the rubbing.

A professional place have said they can stitch the repair. Any opinions guys on whether to go with the stitched rather than a patch and something like stormsure? I think stitched will stand out like a sore thumb but probably stronger.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

See what you mean about that edge, its nearly sharp enough that you can cut your finger on it. Hopefully the neoprene will sort it out or i might have a go at it with a needle file.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:46 AM

Those of us who have new roofs fitted should point this out to the likes of Jack Swans and ask them to spend 5 minutes on that part of the frame with a file, would be a great preventative method for very little effort.

Is it possible to 'file' that part flat with the roof attached .. I am thinking preventative here.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:49 AM

I used tear aid patches on the inside and will get round to using tiger seal on the out. So far it's keeping the water out. Weather in Glasgow it's quite atrocious and it's holding up well. Although the hole in mine is very small

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-23-2014, 01:32 AM

Since that picture I bought those elastic velcro straps as a temp fix but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

I have noticed 2 things. The flap or material over the edge of the window doesn't always fold properly and that the window doesn't go down into the recess fully.

The window not going down is the main problem and when I put very light pressure before the roof is down it goes in fully with no issues.

I have also noticed that the metal strip on the inside where the soft top starts isn't sat flat on the plastic trim, should it be?
Old 02-23-2014, 01:34 AM

Yep as stated it's the elastic straps . You can buy them off modifry for a high price . Works a little better most of the time now I've put new ones in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk