UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof Mechanism Doesn't Fold Correctly, And how to fix it

Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Thats a really nice into the sun picture, very moody. Unfortunatly the part of the you are looking for is totaly black, go back to my original post and look at picture 1 and picture 12, see how the roof sits behind the seats, first one sticking up the other one flat, if yousr is sitting flat then its OK for now.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich, straps and patch arrived today
Old 05-02-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000' timestamp='1367438968' post='22513002
Rich

Hopefully you've received my pm and payment?
Hopefully today you'll receive your straps!

Rich

Parts received today

Looks like a nice sunny weekend for some fetteling - I might even get round to installing my roof liner

Thanks
Old 05-04-2013, 10:58 PM

Thanks for the kind worda TangoVTEC, and greenman and Scottland let me know how you get on.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for this tip. I did it today and it was fairly easy, although the rear vinyl wide under-looping hood section was not sewn in quite square after my recent new hood from Jack Smith. So with 2" elastic, I offset it the 'wrong' way on the passenger side but it still overlaps a trifle and is a bit less tidy on that side.

I also used a much thicker piece of wire - did you really mean 20swg? I used an old giant paper-clip which measured about 2mm diameter. All the other data were most helpful and spot on.

I decided to use this tried and tested method, but as i was doing the job, I did wonder: is it such a big/difficult job to simply grind down the rivets in situ and secure the new elastic in similar fashion to the original fixing with new pop rivets?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bully9
Thanks for this tip. I did it today and it was fairly easy, although the rear vinyl wide under-looping hood section was not sewn in quite square after my recent new hood from Jack Smith. So with 2" elastic, I offset it the 'wrong' way on the passenger side but it still overlaps a trifle and is a bit less tidy on that side.

I also used a much thicker piece of wire - did you really mean 20swg? I used an old giant paper-clip which measured about 2mm diameter. All the other data were most helpful and spot on.

I decided to use this tried and tested method, but as i was doing the job, I did wonder: is it such a big/difficult job to simply grind down the rivets in situ and secure the new elastic in similar fashion to the original fixing with new pop rivets?
20SWG was what I orinally had to hand, 18SWG is what I sent out with the kits I made up till I ran out of it, it's still easy to adjust with pliers, the last few I could only get .062 music wire (1.57mm) american sized stuff so I sent that out with some 18SWG pins as an option, both should be fine as the strap itself holds the pins in place. I belive Loftust did it the original way, but I didn't fancy grinding the rivets so close to the roof material, it would just need to tug once and you are through the roof.

I have one pair of straps left if anyone wants PM me if interested, I'll probably repost next spring as the winter seems to be what buggers the straps.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good point, you'd certainly need to guard very carefully against ripping the hood when releasing the old rivets. Incidentally, if anyone finds piano wire a pain to get hold of (as i did), i found that a standard paper clip seems to be about 20swg.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich, got my kit today so I will let you know how I get on
Old 05-10-2013, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fitted my kit this morning and it's a ton better! I used a razor blade to cut the old, knackered elastic off. Then tried the pins for size, thicker ones were a perfect fit, Mine was obviously built on a big rivet day Just had to trim a little off to get a snug fit.

Fitted the rear pins first with the roof about 1/3 open, then dropped the roof about 3/4 to give myself enough slack to loop the fronts around. Little bit fiddly but the more you open the top, the easier it is.

Just need to say thanks to Rich, done the trick perfectly and looks much better too
Old 05-11-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Just need to say thanks to Rich, done the trick perfectly and looks much better too
Just glad to be able to help a fellow owner, thanks for the kind words, and that goes for those who PM'ed to let me know the repair was successful.

Quick Reply: Roof Mechanism Doesn't Fold Correctly, And how to fix it