UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof repairs

Old 07-20-2005, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof repairs

i've got a small tear in the roof it seems where the roof might be over-stretched / too tight and over the years (5 in total) a small tear has appeared.
Just above where the door closes, its about half an inch long and growing slowly i think.

Anyone know of some roof repairers in North West London - rather not take it to the stealer to be told i need i knew roof (the cost of which i dont have a clue). OR where i can get a new roof should it be required?

At the same time - my alarm doesn't seem to work at all when roof is down ? In fact the only time its worked is when i unlocked the boot once without disabling the alarm. Any ideas where reasonable i could ge this seen too?

I did try searching on the forum but search engine doesn;t seem to be working.

cheers

al

p.s i am bebecoming a fully paid up member in a moment.
p.p.s v.skint at mo - so cheap like the the budgie please.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:01 AM

Those tears, coupled with some wear on the 'shoulders' of my roof ultimately signalled the end of its life.

I've just had mine replace, budget for
Old 07-21-2005, 12:14 AM

Damn...not cheap....

any london options out there?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AQ - i am in a similar situation,

I bought the halfords soft top repair kit and sharply returned it !!

I think I would have been better off going to the first aid section in Boots the Chemist !

I like the look of Shipleys new roof, i have a mohair roof on my Camaro, they are very nice.

Shipley have u noticed any improvement in cabin noise levels with your new roof?

cheers

Raz
Old 07-21-2005, 04:55 AM

What was so bad about the Halfords kit?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it look a bit like this?

I eventually got a new roof out of Honda despite being out of warranty, but there were mitigating circumstances (Honda had fitted a new roof under warranty only 18 months previously) and it was a long, long slog to get then to agree to a replacement.

I looked into repair options, but if you tear is in the same place as mine, it undergoes such a severe twisting motione each time the roof is opened, I find it hard to imagine any repair lasting very long.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just before I sold my 00 I looked at what I would do if the roof went. My plan - buy a used glass rear screen one from a breaker and upgrade to get rid of the plastic rear screen. Hardtopguy has also got a good deal on brand new glass screen hoods.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:24 AM

exactly that!!!

car is out of warranty- wot a pain.

was that thru Honda UK?

i've got issues currently outstanding with HUK regarding my wheels - they aint to happy with me at the moment, so don't fancy my chances!

did it get worse on yours?
Its clearly a manufacturing fault - just wish somebody from Honda UK looked at this site and could help.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by razzele,Jul 21 2005, 12:53 PM
Shipley have u noticed any improvement in cabin noise levels with your new roof?
Can't say that I have yet because the weather has been too nice so the roof's been down since fitted. I'm currently 'training' it to fold properly.

It is more substantial and I expect it will be better that the old one.

Incidentally the tears in the photos above were the second reason I changed mine, it was already wearing out anyway.

I had nearly 5 years out of that roof, I have it down as much as it physically possible (night or day / winter or summer) so it had many ups and downs ( ) so I am quite happy that it served its purpose. I'm not sure I'd call it a design fault as such as these things wear out.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:45 AM

So how'd you blag a new one from HUK then?

was it on the basis that you oly had it replaced 18months prior?