UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof Seating Correctly When Down?

Old 04-25-2019, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof Seating Correctly When Down?

Hi,

Whilst taking my S2000 for it's MOT yesterday (full clean bill of health), roof down of course, I noticed it rattling and moving about, up and down a couple of cm.
Being a warm day I think the roof was down as much as it shuold be, but the up and down movement was something I have not noticed before.

Is this movement normal or do I need to fettle with something to stop it from happening?

Cheers
Phil
Old 04-25-2019, 04:09 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I'm having trouble visualizing this. Only thing I can think of is the elastic straps inside the roof -- on the ceiling when the roof is up -- have perished (lost their elasticity) and are no longer pulling the bar back when the roof is opened. Roof doesn't fully open.

-- Chuck
Old 04-25-2019, 04:38 AM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Can’t say I’ve noticed mine moving up/down when lowered, at least not 20mm, is the roof fully down? Nothing left in the space it sits in stopping it folding flat?
Old 04-25-2019, 04:46 AM

Sorry, I did think that might be the case.

The roof goes down all of the way fine as far as I can see. Then as I drive away I hear a new rattle coming from behind me and turn around to see the roof jiggling about a bit. I guess one way to explain it is that the bumps in the road are moving the roof so it starts to close, all be in only very slightly, ie a couple of cm.
My concern being that with the movement there is likely to be associated wear to the soft top.

Is it normal when the roof is down for there to be some movement or should it be reasonably solid?

Maybe a quick video might explain better.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:37 AM

A photo of your "roof down" will help. Examine the elastic straps, they're a common wear item that need periodic replacement. They assist the roof folding down.

-- Chuck
Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When down, the roof is solid as it's effectively held down with the strength of the mechanism controlled by the top motors.

If it's bouncing up and down, I suspect something within is encouraging it to spring up.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:49 AM

Hello again,

Thanks for the replies.
I've had a good look and I'm pretty sure that there's nothing on the shelf where the roof folds away onto. Visually the elastic straps look ok, but when I pull on them I would describe their elasticity as a little disappointing. There's a bit there, but not a lot.
A couple of piccies of the roof down, I have a video but guess I will have to find somewhere to host it.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:56 AM

That was easier to do than I thought. Here's the video. I'm not sure what the noise at the end is, all I can say is that it wasn't me!

Last edited by gingerphil; 04-25-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:22 PM

The roof in the photos does not look fully open compared to mine. The front corner of the roof looks quite high to me. There are springs in the latches which if loose will rattle too.

Note the forward roof bar that the (disappointing) elastic attaches to. Next time you open the roof manually push that bar back and down and see it the roof opens more. You can do this while seated in the car.

The video really helped. I tried lifting the folded roof and it barely moves and does not rattle. Are you opening it all the way -- until the motor stalls -- or stopping short. The roof motors pull the roof open and hold it down.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 04-25-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:34 PM

Received 243 Likes on 209 Posts

Can you raise the roof say 75% and check all the pivot points in the mechanism for play or damage, something must be allowing it move extraordinarily and a damaged joint may be the cause. Mine certainly does not move like that wether fully down or part way.

Quick Reply: Roof Seating Correctly When Down?