UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Roof Seating Correctly When Down?

Old 04-26-2019, 01:26 AM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by gingerphil View Post
Hello again,

Thanks for the replies.
Visually the elastic straps look ok, but when I pull on them I would describe their elasticity as a little disappointing. There's a bit there, but not a lot.
That sounds correct there shouldn't be much movement in the elastic.

This is what it looks like with poor elastic, note the "hump" behind the head reasts, yours doesn't do that.

This would be bad.

This is good you can get your fingers in, just.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the useful replies, I haven't yet managed to have another look at the car. I've ear marked some time for tonight thought.

I'm sure that I was opening it all of the way, until the motor stalled. I also think despite not being the cause of this, my elastic roof straps are way past their best and would benefit from a replacement. My plan is to pick up some suitably sized elastic and simply velcro them around the bars rather than mess about with the existing rivet fixing, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

I think the replies from Martin/Richmc have confirmed that I have something else which is not quite right and allowing the roof to move about like it is.

Hoping for a quick diagnostic and simple fix, if only I had noticed this before I had sorn the car back in October!
Old 04-29-2019, 05:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine has been out today (as has the sun) so here is picture so can compare roof line height. HTH.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:11 AM

Received 261 Likes on 248 Posts

Looking at the fold in the fabric at the center bottom of the photo the roof still looks only partially open. Mostly open for sure but this may be where the slack in the system is. Here's mine 10 minutes ago. Ignore all the dust, it's pine pollen season here in Virginia. Car was washed two days ago and in the garage with the door closed.

-- Chuck
Old 04-30-2019, 12:09 AM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

If you still want to replace the roof elastic, see here.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...w-fix-1019070/
Old 04-30-2019, 02:06 AM

I did see that earlier but had it in my mind I wanted to use velcro, now I've given it a proper read I'll be using your method, thanks again!

I also had a look at the roof in more detail last night, with it partially down the front part of the roof and hinge mechanisms all seemed to move about a bit, but as far as I could see the bolts were all welded on so could not be tightened.
I think I may have to take it to someone to check it out for me.

Cheers
Phil
Old 04-30-2019, 04:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No other member in your area to meet and make a comparison?
Old 04-30-2019, 11:47 PM

There's an event local to me this weekend actually, with S2000's in double figures!
I won't be able to make it though I don't think