UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

ROOF TEAR AGAIN in 2nd NEW ROOF 6 months old

Old 03-31-2007, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ROOF TEAR AGAIN in 2nd NEW ROOF 6 months old

Hi,

Please any advice or info before I go into the dealers on monday morning would be great. I just want opinons and anything that will strengthen my case.

I had the roof replaced last August by Honda at no cost to me due to the tear many suffered from by a sharp section on the roof mechanism rubbing over the drivers right shoulder section of the roof.

Since the roof replacement some 6-7 months ago it as been winter and ive had the roof down only a handful of times. This morning when lowering the roof the same way as always the clip on the passengers side ended up tearing the roof.

As the roof was lowering it kind of got stuck for a split second then lowered when i checked to see what had happened there was a tear just behind the clip where it must have caught due to tension or something.

Please any ideas where I stand, surely the roof can not have been fitted correctly and due to it being only 6-7 months ago and the fact ive hardly used it over winter, Can i demand they sort it out and replace it?

Please all info and advice would be much appreciated.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 AM

Did you unclip and re-clip the clip as suggested in the handbook or did you just unclip it and lower the roof?

If you did the latter the clips can wave about and are almost certain to puncture the roof sooner or later. Honda are wise to this so there is no point trying to BS the dealer.

If you did it wrong it's really your problem.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:05 AM

I did and always to undo and clip it back otherwise it rattles when your moving along.

It was actually the bottom section that clips on that has caused the rip as it lines up perfectly! If I hadn't clipped it together I dont believe the rip woud have happend as it would have been free to move.

I never lower the roof without clipping them back together.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What clips? I just undo the 2 latches and put the roof down? Should I be doing something else as well????
Old 03-31-2007, 09:45 AM

That's what they mean Nick, don't worry
Old 03-31-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phew!!!!
Old 03-31-2007, 09:52 AM

Any advice how to play this?

Surely this should not have happened on a New roof that was fitted only 7 months ago and been lowered less than 10 times.

Any ideas how this as happened and whats caused this latch to rip through. All I can think is they have in someway fitted the roof incorrectly but have no knowledge so am unable to argue this point.

Im hoping they will see this and just admit fault but would like some advice or info if im to argue the issue.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2007, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jamo9000,Mar 31 2007, 05:05 PM
I did and always to undo and clip it back otherwise it rattles when your moving along.

It was actually the bottom section that clips on that has caused the rip as it lines up perfectly! If I hadn't clipped it together I dont believe the rip woud have happend as it would have been free to move.

I never lower the roof without clipping them back together.
OK - so you did it right. Just go to the dealer and tell them what happened.

Was it cold when you dropped the roof? The vinyl can be pretty stiff in cold weather. However there is no warning in the handbook about this so it's not really your problem. Plus the dealer and Honda have not said they won't fix it yet.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't see how this can happen with the clips being put back into position - and I doubt a dealer will either.

Can you post some pics to explain it further?
Old 04-01-2007, 12:21 AM

Dealer should sort it out - my roof started to wear after about 6 months and they sorted that.

Quick Reply: ROOF TEAR AGAIN in 2nd NEW ROOF 6 months old