UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rounded off droplinks. Where to buy?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rounded off droplinks. Where to buy?

I'm in the process of fitting a Whiteline front anti roll bar and managed to round off the hex heads on the droplinks. I'm guessing the only way to remove them now is to destroy the things, which is a pain as they were fine. Are there other brands of droplink available (good quality!), or shall I just stick to OEM?

I should learn to leave these jobs to the professionals. Home spannering always goes pearshaped when I try it
Old 05-03-2014, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're very careful you can cut the nut off with an angle grinder without damaging the thread. You only need to buy another nut then, M10 x 1.25 I think.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:53 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Go into a local motor factors armed with the First line part numbers FDL7000 and you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them.

Very good quality and reasonably priced!
Old 05-03-2014, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by mdb_75
If you're very careful you can cut the nut off with an angle grinder without damaging the thread. You only need to buy another nut then, M10 x 1.25 I think.
I tend to do this a lot on the land rover. Cut in line with the bolt, or at an angle of up to 45º, depending on how difficult it is to get at it. one cut from top to bottom, but stop short of going all the way through to the threads... then get at it with a lump hammer and chisel to split it apart along the cut you just made. Once it goes ping, it should just be a case of gently unscrewing it by hand.

Alternatively, if there's enough nut sticking out, you can use a stud extraction tool that kinda grips onto it with a cam action.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:36 AM

The hex head is on the end of the droplink shaft, integral to the droplink. So even if I can grind the nut off I won't be able to tighten a new one onto the drop link. Seems like a rubbish design decision to me. I knew it was going to happen as soon as I saw them. I prefer the sort where you hold the shaft with a spanner.

Thanks for the heads up about the First Line ones, Tom. I'll give those a try.

Just annoyed that I couldn't try out my new ARB this weekend!
Old 05-03-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

A Hex socket set is a must have for cars
Old 05-03-2014, 02:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

If you decide to destroy them then this method saves alot of messing about cutting assuming you have some vice grips.

Swapped over my anti roll bars today and this is what i mean about the drop link. If it wont come undone without cutting or its spinning and you have new links to fit then smash the end off until it looks like this

And then get the vice grips tightly onto it and the rachet and socket on the other and hey presto it comes undone.

I know these pics show the bar off the car but the same method applies you just have to be careful when giving them a wack to make sure you dont miss and hit anything else under the car. Alot quicker than cutting it, well unless you have a decent saw or angle grinder but even then its a tight space to get into.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

I use a small nut wrench often for situations like these,they tighten with load
Old 05-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by markforrester99
If you decide to destroy them then this method saves alot of messing about cutting assuming you have some vice grips.
Cheers, I think I will have to resort to this method. There isn't much room like you say, so I don't think I'll be able to get an angle grinder on the lower one. This new ARB had better be bloody good!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-RS
Originally Posted by markforrester99' timestamp='1399154450' post='23142720
Cheers, I think I will have to resort to this method. There isn't much room like you say, so I don't think I'll be able to get an angle grinder on the lower one. This new ARB had better be bloody good!
I have the Whiteline i really like it. Made the car alot easier to live with.

Quick Reply: Rounded off droplinks. Where to buy?