UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Rusty arch repair in Surrey

Old 01-10-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drives
I paid £400 for both sides. This was cutting a small section of metal out and welding a new bit of metal in, respraying etc
Hey mate - where did you get it done that cheap?!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Janosh
Originally Posted by drives' timestamp='1389383178' post='22959151
I paid £400 for both sides. This was cutting a small section of metal out and welding a new bit of metal in, respraying etc

I've been quoted just over £400 for one side... although they did say that they'd fix the leaking boot at the same time (while the bumper's off).
I didn't think it was that cheap? I'm sure when I posted on here about how much I should expect to pay, others had apparently paid less but I couldn't get a better quote around here.
Anyway this was at A and B motors in Hilsea, Portsmouth. It was done around 15 months ago. The initial job wasn't perfect for various reasons but to be fair when i took it back a month or so ago they sorted it free of charge
Old 01-10-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Janosh
Originally Posted by drives' timestamp='1389383178' post='22959151

I've been quoted just over £400 for one side... although they did say that they'd fix the leaking boot at the same time (while the bumper's off).
Have you got a picture?

I'm scared to get a quote so I've left it and it looks awful. But it's 14yrs old and done 155k miles so it's been used. Unfortunately it's had a rear quarter in its life and I think it was a pattern part
Old 01-11-2014, 04:15 AM

I can post some pics in a couple of weeks when I get my internet back up and running; on my phone with limited data at the moment...
Old 04-11-2014, 11:40 AM

Just further to this- I never did get any pictures up, but the rust is really bad inside the wheel arches on my car having checked today. The place I used put some rubber gunk over their repair. No idea what it is but it started peeling off and has basically been rusting underneath it so its even worse than before. On that basis I can't recommend the place I used- it is getting on for two years ago now that they did it but I've only done around 2000 miles in that time. No idea what the best option is for a proper repair on this, apart from brand new arches which will cost a fortune. Just trying to wire brush the worst of it off, and then I'll put some rust converter on it and some kind of underseal I guess. Really annoying as the car's mechanically perfect but the arches are crap.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:53 AM

I've been in a similar situation to this recently, although not as severe by the sounds of it and only on one side.

For reference I have a friend who works in a Honda body shop, They wanted to replace the outer and inner arch and quoted £6000 for the job. The parts were £1800 alone. (that's 6k for one side)

I've ended up finding a guy who works mainly on classic cars (Jags, Aston Martin, Maserati, Porsche etc) he's an old dude who cuts out areas that are too far gone and fabricates his own panels. I haven't had the final bill yet but it will be 3 figures rather than 4.
Old 04-11-2014, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan9
I've been in a similar situation to this recently, although not as severe by the sounds of it and only on one side.

For reference I have a friend who works in a Honda body shop, They wanted to replace the outer and inner arch and quoted £6000 for the job. The parts were £1800 alone. (that's 6k for one side)

I've ended up finding a guy who works mainly on classic cars (Jags, Aston Martin, Maserati, Porsche etc) he's an old dude who cuts out areas that are too far gone and fabricates his own panels. I haven't had the final bill yet but it will be 3 figures rather than 4.
I'd be interested how you get on; that quote from Honda is horrendous. All I had was two very small rust bubbles where near the screw is that fixes the bumper to the arch, which is where new metal has been welded in. The problem is the underseal is flaking off the inner skin, and beneath that is rusting where its coming off. When the bodyshop did mine, for reasons that I'm unclear on they decided to patch over the inner skin which was flaking off with rust with this rubber stuff (does anyone know what it might be? Its basically like a rubber filler). Of course water has seeped in behind and continued rusting. I really don't understand why for a little bit more time and effort they couldn't treat the inner skin first to get rid of the rust. So...externally it looks fine. Its the inner skin which is rusting quite badly in one particular area. The other side is much better, but as the underseal has come away there was a tiny hole which when rubbing away with the wire brush has become slightly bigger (maybe 1/2 cm across). So hopefully I've got this bit in time.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:25 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

A classic repair option is to use lead too. I've seen that before

http://youtu.be/jQ_85fp1avs