S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Rusty arch repair time (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/rusty-arch-repair-time-1188646/)

unclefester 10-03-2018 08:45 AM

Rusty arch repair time

After 110k miles / 9 years of ownership, it's finally time for the old girl to get her thighs sorted. Mine will be in soon for a new rear quarter on the drivers side .... tinworm has finally made an appearance. The outer arch mostly looks fine and is mostly fine but the inner, is as rotten as feck - you can almost get a finger through it in places. Aside from a little freckle or two under the paint on the very edge of the arch lip, you'd never know. Anyway will get cut in what i need getting cut in, and whilst the inner arch is exposed i'm going to get them to rust proof the bits that need it. Not going to **** about with tiny panel repairs, i want them to do it the same way Dave did on the one he did - might as well get as much new metal in there as possible.

Did the annual contemplate selling it .... then did the maths on repair vs replacement car. No brainer.

Will get some pics as it goes and i'll also be sourcing a front drivers side wing and a rear passenger quarter when a good one arrives at our favourite breaker.

Check your arches people, get the wheels off and have a bloody good poke and prod at them and if you are buying and are reading this, make sure you do the same.

Nottm_S2 10-03-2018 09:02 AM

And the frickin boot floor! Grrr

good work, hope it all goes well btw

unclefester 10-03-2018 09:21 AM

Yeah - i've also sourced a boot floor panel too cos if it's not this year, you know it won't be far behind. Once i get the other spares, i'll clean them up and get them treated and protected and then dry stored for eventual use.

Been quoted £400 + VAT worst case including paint so i'm happy with that, all i have to do is supply them the repair panel for them to use.

UK Paul 10-03-2018 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester (Post 24518171)
Yeah - i've also sourced a boot floor panel too cos if it's not this year, you know it won't be far behind. Once i get the other spares, i'll clean them up and get them treated and protected and then dry stored for eventual use.

Been quoted £400 + VAT worst case including paint so i'm happy with that, all i have to do is supply them the repair panel for them to use.

Per side?

Seems very cheap - where at!!!!

unclefester 10-03-2018 11:13 AM

Place where Jamie got his done - we will see how good a job they do. Not worried about paint as much as the metal repair. Worst case they can use the entire rust free quarter I've got
I've seen their work on all sorts of stuff and a red s2000 is not complicated by comparison.

As long as the outer metal is good on the new quarter it will get properly protected after fitment and now it doesn't get used in winter / on salt it will be fine

andy2000 10-03-2018 11:22 AM

Pat
Where did you source your boot floor if you don't mind me asking. Mine has been K-Rusted but showing signs of rot again and don't think it will be long before the tool tray falls out :-(
did you get one made or was it cut from another S ?

unclefester 10-03-2018 11:25 AM

Cut from another one. Crash season is upon us :-)

johnckeen 10-04-2018 08:50 AM

mines completely gone, split and broken out through paintwork, been quoted £1000 a side!

nomadicS2k 10-05-2018 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by johnckeen (Post 24518518)
mines completely gone, split and broken out through paintwork, been quoted £1000 a side!

Including materials? I was quoted this just in labour! I as going to buy new panels too!

johnckeen 10-05-2018 03:26 AM

that includes the panels so £750 for panel and £300 labor and paint... The panels are super expensive but rather replace whole lot than cut out and it come back in a years time.