UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 Coupe?

Old 11-26-2001, 11:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that barchetta does look nice... I never really took to the convertible...
Old 11-26-2001, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LHD was very easy to get used to. Had a coupe of scares in the first week or so but nothing serious.

The barchetta is a very pretty car. It did, however, put me of FIAT group products. It was in the garage over 10 times for warranty work.

Oh, it had a nasty tendancy to understeer. Especially on roundabouts which were wet......

The Coupe was never put into production which is a real shame
Old 11-26-2001, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bmarshall
If Honda made a Coupe version of the S2000, would you be tempted?-Brian.
Absolutely not! I can't wait for next spring - but in the meantime, I really love the coziness of my hardtop. Effectively, I have two cars, one for when it's horribly cold and wet and one for when it's not.

If the S2000 had been a coupe, I'd have beeen driving a 225TT or a Z3 3.0 by now (and wishing Honda made a drophead version of the S2000 coupe!)

Pete
Old 11-26-2001, 11:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would not miss these blasts to work - crystal clear frosty air, sun rising, silly wooly hat on, 9000rpm with fallen leaves dancing thier crazy dance in my wake - no, maybe a hardtop for when the weather gets really sh!tty, but a coupe - never!. (the usual 'draw' to a roofed version of a car is additional body rigidity - not an issue with the S2000 )
Old 11-26-2001, 11:50 PM

convertible was a "must have" for me, together with "must be Japanese" and "must have cool points" and "must not be a hairdressers car".....

Left me pretty limited on the choices....

Old 11-27-2001, 12:42 AM

Well, that brought out some opinions anyway!

FWIW One of the main reasons for buying the S2000 is that I love NA engines. The soft top was a small bonus - sure it's fun sometimes, but not a massive deal to me.

Some of the cars I looked at before:

BMW M3 (Test driven E36, was thinking of the new one, but a bit big.)
BMW M-Coupe. (Test driven, not too keen on looks, got the tail out very easily. Very quick....)
EVO VI (Test Driven, very quick, no personality, nasty to drive in town, great seats.)

The EVO I tried to see what 'ultimate' turbo power was like. Fast, but not as fun or involving for me.

If the opinions here are representative, then I don't think Honda will make a Coupe. Might mean I'm driving a Nissan in a few years I'm keeping an eye on the new Z-Car with interest...

-Brian.
Old 11-27-2001, 12:43 AM

No. If the car was not a convertible, there are other cars I would have chosen ahead of it for performance.
Old 11-27-2001, 01:11 AM

I would be tempted by an S2000 coupe. It would have more rigidity than the convertable (and could possibly be lighter as well) and so would be a better track tool.

Just look at the BMW MCoupe, a faantastic looker and track car where the Z3 failed (IMO). Currently, its the only BMW that really attracts me. I would be equally attracted to an S2000 coupe.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by vteclimey
Just look at the BMW MCoupe, a faantastic looker and track car where the Z3 failed (IMO). Currently, its the only BMW that really attracts me. I would be equally attracted to an S2000 coupe.
I agree completely. I'm tempted by the MCoupe as I need boot space for all my photography gear, the S2000 is a toy car in terms of a daily drive. I commute in it daily but otherwise I can't use it for any 'serious' stuff.
Old 11-27-2001, 04:24 AM

Originally posted by bmarshall
The EVO I tried to see what 'ultimate' turbo power was like. Fast, but not as fun or involving for me.
The EVO like the Impreza suffers from having huge power and huge grip. Having such vast reserves of grip in a rigid body shell means that the car will be going very quickly when near the limit....

On a track day the EVO or Impreza will be serious fun ( ), however, they do make the driving very easy in comparison to the S2000.

Personally, I'd like to see a Cerbera Sports Cross

Failing that I quite like the look of the Subaru Legacy E-Tune II. Now that would be a Q car

Quick Reply: S2000 Coupe?