UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 handling issue

Old 12-06-2016, 06:46 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Aa0089

Only issue is, handling is dangerous. Like when you're driving and take it upto 4-5rpm and let go, the car starts swaying.

Also, when driving and you make sharp movements with the steering wheel the car feels like a boat swaying.

thanks
I think you need to learn how to drive it properly, and more sympathetically, get yourself booked into a limits day.
I take it you still want to be driving it come April?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, yes i owned a facelift s2000 a few years ago and i loved it, regret selling it back then but hey oh, so i thought i want to get into another one and only a pre-facelift car was within budget. So i've got to learn to live with this lol :/

Richmc, i think you're misunderstanding what i mean, say you're in second gear on a long straight (national speed limit), and you accelerate till you get to about 4-5000 rpm and let go, it yanks to the left, or on a quite road doing 10 mph you quickly move the steering from one side to the other, it feels like a swaying boat - rest assured none of these "tests" were conducted in a ridiculous manner, all on safe roads within the speed limits.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
I suspected as much, as these are known to have handling issues due to the anti-dive geometry Honda built into the suspension set up of the early cars. Sadly this is a trait that makes them very nervous and quick to spin in lift-off situations that wasn't corrected until the face-lift car (identified by the different front bumper and 17" wheels). This issue is why you see so many written-off early S2000s and is why these cars get a bit of a reputation for not being friendly to novice rear wheel drive peeps. The later car is much easier to drive without the lift-off oversteer issues (not that that helps you) and is much more tolerant of ham-fisted driving. The only thing I can suggest is to drive it like an old school 911 - slow in and fast out, so you don't have to lift-off and risk a spin.
Having owned both versions and driven them extensively on track and road, i disagree. The MY00 was a lot more 'pointy' but not enough to throw you off the road if you loosen your grip on the steering wheel.

If the OP's car is as nervous as he describes, something is not right with it.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lower
Having owned both versions and driven them extensively on track and road, i disagree. The MY00 was a lot more 'pointy' but not enough to throw you off the road if you loosen your grip on the steering wheel.

If the OP's car is as nervous as he describes, something is not right with it.
I didn't say it happened if you loosen your grip on the steering wheel . Lift off oversteer is nothing to do with keeping your hands on the steering wheel, it is to do with the in-built geometry of the car in question when the throttle is lifted mid-corner with the suspension loaded up. Some cars have a propensity to want to slide more than others when this happens. The ant-dive geometry of the earlier cars make these more prone to do so than than the later cars. Obviously in the dry and with a quick-witted driver used to rear wheel drive, it will make the car feel more "pointy" as you can use the throttle lift-off oversteer to turn the car quicker, but for the novice driver (especially with the slippery roads at this time of year), it can catch them out.

It is a fact that the earlier cars (due to the anti-dive geometry) are more nervous than the later cars (whether you agree or not ). An experienced rear wheel drive driver (like yourself) may like it that way, but not everyone does.....
Old 12-06-2016, 07:32 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

This thread has nothing to do with lift off over steer, the swaying is happening whilst driving in a straight line and lifting off the throttle. the only time this happened to me was in my MY09 car when a rear tyre was at a very low pressure (the day I got it, incidentally - turned out to be a dodgy valve letting air out slowly).
Old 12-06-2016, 07:37 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
This thread has nothing to do with lift off over steer, the swaying is happening whilst driving in a straight line and lifting off the throttle. the only time this happened to me was in my MY09 car when a rear tyre was at a very low pressure (the day I got it, incidentally - turned out to be a dodgy valve letting air out slowly).
If you read, the tyres have all been checked and corrected and it still has the same trait....

One thing to check is the rear diff bushes and bolts. If these are buggered, then the lurching effect you are getting could possibly be the unwinding of the torque reaction of the diff if the bushes are worn / split - especially if it only does it one particular way each time.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't say it happened if you loosen your grip on the steering wheel . Lift off oversteer is nothing to do with keeping your hands on the steering wheel, it is to do with the in-built geometry of the car in question when the throttle is lifted mid-corner with the suspension loaded up. Some cars have a propensity to want to slide more than others when this happens. The ant-dive geometry of the earlier cars make these more prone to do so than than the later cars. Obviously in the dry and with a quick-witted driver used to rear wheel drive, it will make the car feel more "pointy" as you can use the throttle lift-off oversteer to turn the car quicker, but for the novice driver (especially with the slippery roads at this time of year), it can catch them out.

It is a fact that the earlier cars (due to the anti-dive geometry) are more nervous than the later cars (whether you agree or not ). An experienced rear wheel drive driver (like yourself) may like it that way, but not everyone does.....
The 'pointy' comment was based on how 'understeery' the respective cars feel on turn in rather than lift off.

I appreciate the earlier cars are more prone to lift off oversteer, but what the OP describes is much more than that. Either revision, when healthy, shouldn't feel dangerous or like a boat.

OP- when you said you had the geo done, was that a full 4 wheel geo with camber and castor or just the front wheels?

Last edited by lower; 12-06-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:09 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

If you read, the tyres have all been checked and corrected and it still has the same trait....

One thing to check is the rear diff bushes and bolts. If these are buggered, then the lurching effect you are getting could possibly be the unwinding of the torque reaction of the diff if the bushes are worn / split - especially if it only does it one particular way each time.
None of which have anything to do with which model year it is.

As suggested, a thorough check of the suspension components would be in order. Also check for play in the hubs, perhaps a seizing calliper as well.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

What suspension is on the car ? Standard, Standard shock with lowering springs, Coilovers - Brand ?

I had the same kind of feeling after i polybushed the car and i tightend the bolts up without loading the suspention, i went back and loaded up all corners before tightening the bolts which made it feel better

also another time i had put a bit much preload on my coilovers when refurbing them, and it was like the whole car was floaty and when i took a few mm out of preload it was awesome again untill i crashed the bas*ard

this might not be you case but it might help point in the right direction
Old 12-06-2016, 09:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Its the flimsy all season single ply sidewall tires. You are experiencing way to much sidewall deflection. The stock S02 and Re50 are very stiff sidewall tires and so an equivalent sidewall spec which are commonly found on Extreme summer category tires are required on this car to get it to handle sharply and predictably. Second to that would be making sure you are running a proper alignment with the focus on rear toe. The car should not be a white knuckle swaying experience performing simple lane changes on the freeway, which I have experienced with inferior/flimsy constructed tires.

Quick Reply: S2000 handling issue