UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 no good?

Old 07-16-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You do sit too high, it is noisy and it is twitchy and if you're not in the mood to wring its neck ... it's tiring and nervous and nor is it a nice car for doing 8 hours in at 80mph on a motorway ...... which is why most of us don't drive it like that on those kind of journeys.

That is primarily why when I do use it, it's for the long and winding back roads to work, much the same reason i use the motorbike for the same roads.

And that's why I use the Aygo and go the boring way when the weather is shit.

It's not the best sports car in the world, ever. At the price it is, it's one of the better value ones but it's riddled with flaws that you either ignore because you love the engine / soft top / on limit handling or you hate because you can't get over the many many flaws.

It might be a short article but it's not unfair.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm calling click bait and unskilled driver in a generally unforgiving car. All those users who voted it first in JD Powers (how many years in a row was it?) can't be wrong.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Colin Goodwin is an excellent writer, and knows his stuff.

But EVO has become a parody of its former self, and is reduced to regurgitated content and a monthly (or so it seems) Hot Hatch Group Test. Deliberate controversy is the last resort of a fading publication.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:07 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy_F
I'm calling click bait and unskilled driver in a generally unforgiving car. All those users who voted it first in JD Powers (how many years in a row was it?) can't be wrong.
Well, that was mostly this forum spamming the poll, so we could have been wrong

As I've said many times before, I don't think the driving position is too high, just that the scuttle is low, so you can see where you are going. It used to be the same in all Hondas.

Look at the VAG "copies" of Honda designs Scirocco vs EG Civic, A3 vs EK Civic. All they did was raise the metalwork line at the expense of the window height.

Funnily enough, the windscreen height vs width is something Mikey mentioned about the McLaren "MCL have been very clever, the windscreen is taller than it is wide! You can see the road ahead really well and the tops of the arches tell you where the corners are "
Given Mclaren's history of using the NSX as a benchmark for the F1, it makes sense.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Actually, by far the worst part of the seating position is the sun blockers fitted to the top of the screen surround - low sun is impossible to block out unless you wear some kind of 'yoof' hat device.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevo071077
Boxster S
I too was massively disappointed by the Boxster S.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it really that wrong? I don't see much wrong with what he's written. I'm 5ft 7in and the seating position is 'ok' for me, but still high. Must be pretty bad if you're taller? Occasionally the balance can be odd, and it is certainly not as 'thrashable' as other cars, hence why it catches people out. It's a precision machine, and not many people have the precision (I certainly don't think I do!).

It's not the best car in the world! All IMO.

But it's great at it's price point, and is unique on the roads. I still love my S2000
Old 07-17-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for sitting too high.

I went back to OEM leather sofa for a week (from my Mugen bucket seat) and it felt ridiculous! Like my big head was stuck out of the roof
Old 07-17-2015, 12:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The seating position is indeed too high. It's been designed for the average Japanese driver, which is far shorter than the average European driver.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another clickbait article by EVO magazine. Why am I not surprised.

Quick Reply: S2000 no good?