UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 queries - at serious thinking stage..

Old 02-18-2002, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 queries - at serious thinking stage..

Hi folks,

First post here - and I don't have an S2000 - at least not yet. Hence the reason for this one..apologies if it's a question you've seen too many times but I'd appreciate your (unbiased) thoughts!

I've been running 2-seaters on and off for a few years - nowadays as a 2nd car - the current one is an MX5 1.8i (Mk2). I like its handling interactivity and value but as I also love Hondas I like the S2000. I've driven a few now, albeit on dry smooth roads and am considering changing the MX.

The main issue (apart from the 20k+ asking price, even for s/h ones up here) is what's it like on wet, bumpy roads? Most of the roads I use for fun are to the south of Glasgow - usually B, or occasionally A road - usually pretty undulating. One of the best is a bit rough in places (not broken - more the underlying surface changes camber & direction every 10-20m) and quite often wet! I hasten to add I don't push it when the road conditions get slippery - it's more about how much confidence I can have in cooler, wet conditions. The MX is usually OK on these as its suspension has enough compliance plus its limits aren't too high and when it does go it's fairly controllable.

I've read varying reports about the S2000 being more suitable for smoother roads to wonder about this - is it going to get upset by any of this? Any bump steer issues? I've also had an Elan (fwd) before that which again had a lot of compliance built into it - so fine on these surfaces.

I'm keen on the S2000 and may well go after one - but would appreciate your thoughts on this. Essentially it comes down to whether you have found issues on these conditions. In wet conditions I'm going to be careful anyway but I'd like to know the car's fine on dry bumpy roads as well. Would the 2002 suspension help with this?

That's it for now - grateful for your thoughts.

Craig

PS My other car is a CTR (don't let that colour your judgement - I'm one of the older drivers!)
Old 02-18-2002, 04:44 AM

Hi Craig,

I have yet to take delivery of my S2000(April) but I have now taken three very indepth test drives, one bad weather, one intermediate, and one dry. My experience comes from owning a Z3 2.8 which is RWD and although has Traction Control, you know when it is active (light on dash) My experience of the S2000 was a little apprehensive because I had read a great deal about the car here, before driving it in the wet. Driving in these conditions the S2000 handled itself very well for RWD, and as long as your not looking to power around a roundabout at full pelt in the rain it really is not going to bite. I found the bite snappy, but your senses are telling you to expect it long before it happens, so for it to happen unexpected is somewhat worrying as a driver, and can't see it happening, the car basically has more traction than you expect it too given the poor weather.

I have read that the car is bad when wet and very cold, I can't comment on this it was not warm when I drove it but certainly not freezing.

I too live and drive on uneven back roads in Kent, I really only enjoy this type of driving as it's both challenging and rewarding, so I spent a good amount of my testing time using this type of road, I would say the ride is perfectly acceptable considering the type of car you are buying, I would expect the rider to be more comfortable from an MX but still I must say it was no worse than the Z3.

I hope this helps a little.

Nick.
Old 02-18-2002, 04:48 AM

Unbiased on this page, you must be joking !
my last car was a sixty grand 911 which was the dogs testies, but with out any doubt the SK2 is one of the best cars I have ever had the pleasure to own and drive, and the fact its civic money to run is icing on the cake, JUST BUY ONE the way they hold value means you wont get burned if you dont like it..
Old 02-18-2002, 04:57 AM

MX5 vs S2000.... Uhm

The S2000 is like an MX5 on steriods.

Depends what you want; a very quick car with reasonable handling or a quick(ish) car with reasonable(to good) handling.

The MX5 1.6 is generally accepted as being one of the most fun/
Old 02-18-2002, 05:09 AM

I've only had my S2000 for 6 weeks now and I've had nothing but a smile on my face for the whole period. Since picking up the car (which I use daily), we've had freezing weather, wet weather and finally some sun! The car has been excellent, but (heavily) powering out of roundabouts in the wet can be a little scary, but not un-nerving as it will generally tell you when things are getting a little close of the edge, and it will allow you time to adjust.

Overall, I'm very pleased that I dumped by Boxster for the S2000, yes the ride is firmer but it's a lot more fun to drive and far cheaper to run.

Old 02-18-2002, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Shropshire and frequently travel into mid-Wales (so I know all about uneven, narrow, twisty wet roads!)

Go take a look at my latest posts on page 4 of the Supermeet thread about my motor-bike encounter yesterday (to give you a flavour of what this car is about). I have Goodyear F1 Eagles on mine now and find the handling in the wet to be much improved (but I still squeeze that throttle pedal like there's an egg under it in wet conditions or when powering through roundabouts etc.)

I test drove a Z3 3.0 litre and an Audi 225TT before I bought the S2000. My view?..... Don't pi$$ about.... Just go get one!

PS. I'm an 'older' driver too
Old 02-18-2002, 07:31 AM

I find the S2000 very susceptible to uneven roads but I find it adds to the driving experience. The car will be affected by poor road surfaces that you never even noticed in previous cars but your concentration will increase to compensate. If you use the s2000 as a second car then I would say go for it. If you use it as a daily commute over poor roads then you might want to consider how commited you are. I have had mine for 5 months now and it was the best decision I ever made. I am addicted to driving it.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:00 AM

IMO i think there are more bump steer issues than people are making out. I have just put the F1s on all four corners and am currently playing with the psi to find an optimium balance for the roads that i drive on. But since i have had my car back and had the F1s on i have experienced incredible bump steer - not very nice at all.

The car hasn't felt anywhere planted enough going over adverse camber and bumpy corners at low low speeds - i mean feeling the WHOLE car moving to the left or right going at very low speeds is just getting very tiring.......

My tyres are currently at 33 all round to try and counter some of this - but i have found that at higher speeds on the motorway going round progressive bends the car is drifting.........even in the dry - so in this case i need the psi higher to give more stability.

Pete has his F1s up at 36psi which would only make my bump steer worse......so i don't really know which direction to go in. I'm hoping that the UK alignment adjustment will help eradicate some of this as well......

Originally posted by nphnet
.......but your senses are telling you to expect it long before it happens, so for it to happen unexpected is somewhat worrying as a driver, and can't see it happening, the car basically has more traction than you expect it too given the poor weather.
Nick.
I don't think this is entirely true. Given wet bumpy conditions and cold S02s - it can become far more worrying than you make out. I had a spin in the wet going round a bumpy corner at 30mph - low revs not pushing at all - and the car stepped out of a bump about 3 ft to the right which ended up in a clockwise spin.

I don't want to be scare mongering - but i do have very bumpy local roads and at the moment the car is not tackling them too well.........
Old 02-18-2002, 10:44 AM

Im with Steven on this one, I think the car does suffer from serious bump steer and on the wrong surface can get alarmingly out of shape without giving much warning that its about to happen.

We have some speed bumps on the road near where I live and unless I go over them directly through the center (there are two seperate bumps in the road) then the car can jump left or right at very low speeds, thankfully at 20mph it never gets to be a serious problem.

I think the overall rididity of the car gives it very good handling characteristics, particuarly in the dry where it is very progressive, however I believe this stiffness comes at a price and that price is feedback when your reaching the limit. Its a great car at 9/10ths but if you push the extra bit then it will bite!!.
Old 02-18-2002, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by UKjasonm
[B]We have some speed bumps on the road near where I live and unless I go over them directly through the center (there are two seperate bumps in the road) then the car can

Quick Reply: S2000 queries - at serious thinking stage..