UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 TLC job

Old 02-16-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default S2000 TLC job

Hello folks, I have been preparing for a while to give my S2000 some well deserved TLC.

I will be attempting to remove the exhaust, diff and complete rear suspension system.
I will be freeing off any seized adjustment bolts and shotblasting/painting all suspension components.
I will be undersealling the rear of the car, moving on to the front end when I have time, whether its now or nearer to summer.

So it began with jacking up the car, something which I was pretty nervous about tbh, as our drive is on an ever so slight slope.

I also removed all my boot linings to investigate condensation on the boot lid, upon removal of the boot well piece, revealed about 20mm of water sat there. This must be relatively new as when I modified my lights I removed everything, no moisture. As per the photos it looks to be coming from the panel seam on the LH side and damp around the RH side.
Could anyone offer some suggestions about this water ingress?

So once the rear bumper and the rear crash brace was removed, I sprayed plenty of penetrating oil on all the bolts and exhaust mounts ready to attack that job tomorrow!

Last edited by R23USS; 02-16-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:12 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

I'd get it in that garage.. gonna be cold under there

Water comes from the roof drains being blocked or that vent under/behind the bumper I think
Old 02-16-2018, 02:31 PM

[left]THAT ‘garage’ is criminal!
Literally full of rubbish and a classic mini..

I’m used to the elements, in a field service heavy plant mechanic
Old 02-17-2018, 09:30 AM

Today has been productive, cross member, exhaust and rear subframe removed.
Luckily I haven't experience any mega tightly seized bolts on the rear suspension assembly! The body of the car has light surface rust in places but nothing that I can't easily treat with my Bilt Hamber products. The same can't be said for the subframe, which is looking abit flakey.. Nothing a shotblast and paint won't sort I'm sure!
The car is a 2006 with 28k miles on it, but looking at it's history it has spent alot of its life around coastal areas, so I was expecting to face rust if I'm honest.
Happy days!

Jobs for tomorrow are to get the subframe to the workshop for stripping, shotblasting, inspecting and painting. Wash and scrub the underside of the rear end and use my rust treatments in the areas and hopefully get a layer of Dynax UB on before I go away snowboarding.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:00 AM

Nice work fella. I had mine undersealed at JR classics years ago but it needs another fettle I think, albeit easier this time

I use a bike through winter and with the salty crap kicked up this time of year (i can see it on the bike!) it's small wonder they rust..

I would like to do what you're doing to my charged one but lack of time and def skill
Old 02-18-2018, 01:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Good thread mate, good to see one being "preserved" for the future.
But having said that doing it outside is crazy, you can do a much better quality job if in a garage, although I take your point about the old mini in there. 10/10 for commitment

Where abouts in Derbyshire are you ?
Old 02-18-2018, 08:29 AM

Cheers folks, I’ve been at it again today with a slight hangover haha..

Not got as much as I wanted to get done.. I’ve managed to clean all the rear end of the car using Bilt Hamber Surfex HD and lots of elbow grease.
Tried a little of the Deox Gel on the rusty patches.. But by this point I was wet through and cold!

Not going to be much progress for a week or so as I’m overseas..

I’m in Matlock bud

Last edited by R23USS; 02-18-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:09 PM

Hey folks, looking for some advice.. I have a little rust around these elongated holes in the bottom of the sills, there are 4 in total (2 each side, front and back). Are these missing rubber grommets or is it just how they are? Sorry for poor image, these holes are in the same positions as the jacking/supporting points but 6" towards the middle of the car. Will update with a better picture when I can, bloody phone ran out of power after taking this photo.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:19 PM

I can take a look if i can figure where... just inboard of jack at rear? I’ll lock tomorrow

Old 02-19-2018, 04:19 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My car is an early model so may be different but will have a peek when I get home as well. Having said that I 99£ certain I do not have those open elongated holes.

Matlock not too far from me, I'm in Derby

Quick Reply: S2000 TLC job