UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 Track Car

Old 03-19-2014, 04:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S2000 Track Car

After all my questions I thought it would be rude not to get a thread up, and if anything I post in here can help someone else then great. I don't have any plans as such as to what I want to do with the car yet other than improve it as time goes on make lots of notes and post up plenty of useful information. Hopefully I've learned some good stuff from building my CRX anyway...

I've made the decision to move on to the S2000 for a track car, it's not been easy because I really do love the CRX. I just find driving a rear wheel drive car a little more rewarding and as all my road cars are rear wheel drive I thought it made sense to stick to the same platform. I don't often use FWD cars anymore and when I do it is for something sensible.

So here we are I bought this as a Cad D write off the car had been in a serious hairdressing accident and the roof had been cut to ribbons, tyres slashed and a few lovely deep scratches in the paint. I think I overpaid for the car as well because I got a bit of a hardon for it.

So I took it to the track with a few of the CRX forum regulars a couple of weeks ago and it didn't get off to a good start but by the end of the day I was really enjoying the drive. When I took it on track it was completely standard and it worked really well with the exception of the brakes and the tyres so first things to get upgraded are the brakes, some yellowstuffs are on order but I haven't decided on tyres yet. Not sure whether to go for all out grip and risk losing the low speed fun that you get with lower grip tyres or to just try and find some tyres that give lower levels of grip but are more stable with heat, bit of a dilemma really. I was having fun, but when you can only do two fast laps before having to take it easy for two laps it gets a bit boring.

I'll hopefully have learned with the mistakes I made building the CRX and be able to turn this into a competent track weapon. Anyway here she is at the start of this journey. Full fat and completely standard

Out with the old

Old 03-19-2014, 04:28 AM

Reserving for updates
Old 03-19-2014, 04:28 AM

And again, nothing worse than having to search for info
Old 03-19-2014, 04:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was really hoping to see a piccy of your track crx

Where did you go for the track day?

How did it compare to the crxs?

Why didn't you tell me so I could've come too?
Old 03-19-2014, 04:43 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

If you've still got the 16s, I can highly recommend the Bridgestone RE002 tyres. Nice stiff sidewalls, don't overheat on track and pretty cheap too.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
I was really hoping to see a piccy of your track crx Where did you go for the track day? How did it compare to the crxs?Why didn't you tell me so I could've come too?
I was in a rush to get to work so when I get a minute I'll edit the first post and stick one in just for you Just did a day at Blyton, I live between there and Cadwell so am pretty lucky. I really enjoy the CRX and the GPS tells me that the S2000 is not that much faster overall, I'll try and get some scans up later on. It is a completely different beast to the CRX on track, better balance, better driving and pedal position you can tell a lot of thought and effort went in to making it a comfortable place to be and the fact that it is RWD just makes it more fun. The CRX made me just want to chase lap times, in the S2000 I'm focused on learning more about car control and having a good time on the track.

Originally Posted by lovegroova
If you've still got the 16s, I can highly recommend the Bridgestone RE002 tyres. Nice stiff sidewalls, don't overheat on track and pretty cheap too.
I'll give them a look I'm looking for something that doesn't overheat but I'm not sure I'm ready for the extra grip that is offered by trackday tyres so they sound ideal.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with lovegroova those new bridgestones are superb on track.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:54 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

ditto lovegroova and Razzele,my 002's looked this after a red hot trackday at Donnington last July and still gripped like a bastard

Old 03-19-2014, 01:15 PM
BCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forth'd, mine looked similar, held consistantly well all day long.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that last image a viral for the new Godzilla movie??

Quick Reply: S2000 Track Car