UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000 Track Car

Old 04-02-2014, 01:25 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms1989
Originally Posted by lower' timestamp='1395481281' post='23075502
You get different performance from different pads on different cars.

The s2000 is relatively heavy for its brakes and yellow stuff just aren't up to the job.

Each to their own, but that's a sweeping statement if I ever saw it.

If anything they're over spec'd for the car. Plenty more cars out there with much smaller brakes and more power
Lower has a lot of track experience in the S.

Oulton isn't a big braking circuit apart from the hairpin IMO, somewhere like Rockingham shows up brakes more.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:44 PM
BCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Originally Posted by Toms1989' timestamp='1395483525' post='23075511
[quote name='lower' timestamp='1395481281' post='23075502']

The s2000 is relatively heavy for its brakes and yellow stuff just aren't up to the job.

If anything they're over spec'd for the car. Plenty more cars out there with much smaller brakes and more power

Oulton isn't a big braking circuit apart from the hairpin IMO, somewhere like Rockingham shows up brakes more.
[/quote]

Just done rockingham myself and completely killed my rear pads. I agree entirely, these cars are heavy on their brakes IME, I'll be looking at cooling them in future. The flip side is that they're really strong on brakes with the right set up.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Originally Posted by Toms1989' timestamp='1395483525' post='23075511

[/quote]

Again

Each to their own, everyones driving style is different, on track or on road.

My S sees an awful lot of weekend B road action, IMO they're harder on the brakes than that stint I had at Oulton.

Never had any grief at all with the yellow stuffs. Same can also be said for my DS2500's ( but much better, think my talent would run out before these gave up )
Old 04-02-2014, 03:21 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep it's what works for you I agree.

DS2500 i'm not keen on as i've been in 2 peole's cars where they give massive brake judder like Winfreak describes. I imagine coupled with some high end discs they would be very good. I'm trying some Endless and Carbotech pads now.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Another for the yellowstuff'a at Snetterton. Alright for two laps and then they go off and the pedal becomes very unnervy. my experiences with yellow stuffs are.

- Two trackdays and down to the backing pad and what material was left was falling apart
- My brother cooked his on his mini in one trackday and had to bin them
- My friend Jason had them on his scooby and two trackdays put them down to the backing pads, he couldn't believe it after spending all the money on the pads.

There are plenty of good brake pads out there for the S2000 but you just need to swallow the expensive price. Brakes for trackdays cost alot more in the longterm if you buy cheap. I think i paid £350 for front and rear XP10's and they still have plenty of material left, infact the discs have started to crack before they have worn out. Probably had 5 trackdays out of them and still got a good 7mm of material.

I wouldn't scrimp on brake pads, having brake issue's on trackdays ruins the experience as you never have faith that your going to stop! Once you have the brakes sorted everything else comes together.

I have just swapped my discs for centric reverse mounted disc's which is about as good as your going to get without going to two piece etc. they are directionally veined and fed from both sides of the disc. Basically the same as the SOS discs apart from no grooves.

- Performance friction Pf11
- Carbotech XP10's
I have used both of these and i wouldn't hesitate in using them again.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1396473952' post='23094077
[quote name='Toms1989' timestamp='1395483525' post='23075511']

[/quote]

Again

My S sees an awful lot of weekend B road action, IMO they're harder on the brakes than that stint I had at Oulton.

Never had any grief at all with the yellow stuffs. Same can also be said for my DS2500's ( but much better, think my talent would run out before these gave up )
[/quote]
You get this on most car forums. Fact is most people I see at track days can't brake properly anyway.

The issue you can get with some cars is that the brakes cool down too much. Will's MK Indy has that issue with the DS2500 in that on a coolish day, even a few seconds off the brakes mean you lose initial bite and that cocks your braking up a fair bit. Yeah, you can dab the left foot on them, but that is counter productive.

The S just needs a bit of ducting on the front, the splash shields removing on the rear and make use of the engine braking by blipping at higher speeds/revs
Old 04-03-2014, 03:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Project Mu on my track spec EK9. They were absolutely amazing you could hammer the crap out of them and they never faded. Granted the car was very light though.

Surfer I have seen your CRX for sale on Ebay and looked at it a few times! I am looking to do lots more track days but I feel like Im wrecking my £5k S2000 doing them in that. I feel like I should pick up an S2000 like the one you just have or something.

If its not a rude question did you get it from CoPart? My membership lapsed last year and I have been meaning to renew it!
Old 04-03-2014, 05:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to chirp in late in the day with this one... But was thus MCB a Cat D cos of a slashed roof and some slashed tyres?!?!??!

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2014, 07:37 AM
G.E

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As mentioned Ducting at the front is the answer.
I killed a set of Yellow Stuff in one day when I first took the car on to a track.
With vents and ducting I have consistent great braking and pedal, and a set of pads which have now done 9 trackdays and are 3/4 worn (just for my minds sake I will replace them before the next one). Makes the whole trackday experience a lot more cost effective.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MB' timestamp='1396473952' post='23094077
[quote name='Toms1989' timestamp='1395483525' post='23075511']

[/quote]

Again

[/quote]
I never managed to fade my OEM brakes on the road. In my opinion OEM brakes are fine for the road and if you get them to fade on the road you're driving too fast for the road.

The track is a different story. Most road car brakes are going to struggle on the track (unless its a low brake use circuit like Oulton) but the S2000 rear brakes are just too small.

When the fronts overheat, as they inevitably do, the rears start to do more work and overheat in a very short space of time because the pads are so small. They then rapidly disintegrate.

As for DS2500 pads, they are great in that their friction coefficient is substantially higher than OEM and is pretty constant once you get them past cold. That means that they don't overheat and you don't get any warning that you're overheating your discs. I've managed to get my discs glowing red hot with DS2500 pads on track. The problem with DS2500 is that they can cause adhesion problems (which feels like you've warped the discs), actual warping problems and ultimately cracked discs. The disc in my signature was a spoon disc used for 2 trackdays, the second of which was at Rockingham and cracked after a few hours use used with DS2500.

Even with higher spec discs like the DBA4000 discs i used you get adhesion problems. The answer is either better cooling or much higher spec pads like the Dixcel type Z.

MB- did you bother with brake ducting or just do discs and pads?

Quick Reply: S2000 Track Car