UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

S2000s for sale - Theres not many this year!

Old 04-08-2014, 04:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just crashed mine not long ago and I'm determined to get it fixed and back on the road.

Not even considering a replacement.

Had a brief look at the for sale ads and it just makes me appreciate what I have more.

Also makes me determined to get back on the road.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C7 JFW
I'd hold on. There will be some heavily modified cars sold this year I guarantee it.
Did you get the bumper OK CJ? My father dropped it off at the bodyshop last Thursday I believe.

Thanks for all your replies guys!

I didn't ever mean I would change from an S2000. I keep coming back to them whatever, I just meant maybe I could get a better spec'd car for less money than doing it all myself. Its this bush work that I'm finding daunting after having a mare getting all the arms off my breaking S2000. I guess better the devil you know though sometimes!

I definitely think they are getting harder and harder to get hold of though, especially good ones as some of you say. Most of the cheaper ones seem to have been repaired at some point and that's without finding out they have syncro issues etc which I'm sure some of them do. I just cant believe the market as shrunk so much in the last year! I also think prices are going up. Year before last I bought my black one for £3000..... Now £4k ish seems minimum in terms of adverts and we all know all of them will need £1000 minimum to get them running as they should bush wise etc.

Perhaps I am better off staying as I am.... Lol
Old 04-08-2014, 06:40 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Amasing how many went to breakers in the last year (seen on eBay), reason 1, a lot of wet wether so a lot crashed, reason 2, you only have to dent a panel for them to get written off, don't you just love insurence companies. I remember a web site that showed how many are registered and sorned bet the number has dropped cosiderably. You've got to think any S2000 over 8yrs old will almost certainly be a write off and better value to part out than repair no point having fully comp insurence for an older example.

Sad.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
Amasing how many went to breakers in the last year (seen on eBay), reason 1, a lot of wet wether so a lot crashed, reason 2, you only have to dent a panel for them to get written off, don't you just love insurence companies. I remember a web site that showed how many are registered and sorned bet the number has dropped cosiderably. You've got to think any S2000 over 8yrs old will almost certainly be a write off and better value to part out than repair no point having fully comp insurence for an older example.

Sad.
And incorrect. Here's the website: http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/family/honda_s2000

There are 145 more registered in 2013 than in 2012. (7,118 vs 6,973).
And 487 vs 399 SORNed
That's a total of 7,605 vs 7,372, so apparently 233 more in existence somehow or other.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1396968056' post='23102892

Sad.
And incorrect. Here's the website: http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/family/honda_s2000

There are 145 more registered in 2013 than in 2012. (7,118 vs 6,973).
And 487 vs 399 SORNed
That's a total of 7,605 vs 7,372, so apparently 233 more in existence somehow or other.
Ha-Ha, there must be some crafty little Korean company making copies, me thinks theres somthing wrong with the statistics!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adz9
I am unsure what to do with mine. I'm just looking to do a complete rebush on it as Im sure my one front compliance bush is seized, then I have new wheels (either facelift or my RPF01) and coilovers and an exhaust to go on. By the time I've done all that the cars going to owe me around £7500-8k.
Two ways of looking at it. One is that's a lot of money to throw at a second hand car, probably more than it's 'value'.

The other is can that money, plus your cars current value get you in something better than you would end up with?

I doubt it.

Originally Posted by adz9
Half of me thinks I'd be better off looking for one that's had all of this done. I could probably even get a facelift with most of it already done for that. I'm at a real crossroads.... again! It's even harder as I don't want anything moonrock/silverstone/black!
Well modified S2000's are a rare used sale, not sure I'd share your confidence of finding one that covers bases.

A suspension refresh is expensive, I doubt many have that done and are let go shortly after.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:37 AM

The only car that appeals to replace the S with to me right now is an F Type!

I'd like something with a bit more torque/powers but realistically I can't afford the fuel/servicing costs of something bigger at the moment.

Debating whether to spend money on mine as I'd love to put coilover/wheels/exhaust on it but then after geo/bushes/control arms/other bits that might need doing at the same time I'll be spending the best part of £4-5k which is nearly what the car is worth. I wouldn't mind smoothing out the front bumper and putting a nice lip on, again though its another grand down the drain I'd never see again with no real benefit other than it looks cool (to me).

Not sure whether to bother or just keep it ticking over happily for another couple of years (leaving it stock) while saving for an F Type! But then for the money I spend on an F Type in a few years could be money I spent going mental on various tracks in the S and really enjoying it! Something I would be afraid to do in an F Type for fear of writing it off or blowing it up and facing a massive bill.

Please excuse this rambling stream of consciousness, however this is pretty much what goes through my mind on a daily basis. Sometimes I replace the F Type in my mind with an M5 or a 370z
Old 04-08-2014, 08:07 AM
J_B

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking at this time last year and you could pick up a 2004/2005 with 60000 miles in great condition for about £7k. It seems you can't do the same this year for less than £8k. It's quite satisying when you have one already
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine a year ago march, I was spoilt for choice!

I think as they are getting cheaper and no longer in production owners are beginning to keep their cars longer.

Im not going top preach the old "it will be worth money one day" because the car wont, unless it is bog standard and been kept in a garage with less that 1000miles on the clock. Sadly the S2000 is not an NSX and will never reach the NSX value.

I intend to hang onto mine for a few more years and then part out and sell up for my R34! If you want to buy mine I will happily sell it for £15k if not I understand

Mike
Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000
The only car that appeals to replace the S with to me right now is an F Type!

I'd like something with a bit more torque/powers but realistically I can't afford the fuel/servicing costs of something bigger at the moment.

Debating whether to spend money on mine as I'd love to put coilover/wheels/exhaust on it but then after geo/bushes/control arms/other bits that might need doing at the same time I'll be spending the best part of £4-5k which is nearly what the car is worth. I wouldn't mind smoothing out the front bumper and putting a nice lip on, again though its another grand down the drain I'd never see again with no real benefit other than it looks cool (to me).

Not sure whether to bother or just keep it ticking over happily for another couple of years (leaving it stock) while saving for an F Type! But then for the money I spend on an F Type in a few years could be money I spent going mental on various tracks in the S and really enjoying it! Something I would be afraid to do in an F Type for fear of writing it off or blowing it up and facing a massive bill.

Please excuse this rambling stream of consciousness, however this is pretty much what goes through my mind on a daily basis. Sometimes I replace the F Type in my mind with an M5 or a 370z
You could turn an S2000 into a weapon with the money the F-Type will lose in depreciation over the first few years alone. It will never up it's resale value but then how is spending money you won't get back making something better any different than paying depreciation you won't get back on something that is 'better'?

With a car that's a love affair like this, it's pointless looking at it's market value in terms of spending upgrading it. Though I never get people who spend Porsche money on something like a base spec Corsa or Saxo that's never going to be quick or riveting to drive.

Quick Reply: S2000s for sale - Theres not many this year!