UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sazzy's Suspension

Old 05-18-2012, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sazzy's Suspension

When I got my S four years ago, I said I would never modify it other than adding Ferodos. However, with some influence from my young S2k friends and an early midlife crisis, I realised I wanted to make more noise. I purchased one of Dixon’s PRO65r exhausts (I plan to upgrade to the full system in the future) with which I am delighted. Now the car also has a decat it sounds even more fantastic. Somebody actually knocked on my door today just to tell me how great my car sounds. It makes me smile every time I hear it.

My next plan was to change to 17 inch wheels, partly because I really wanted Eagle Assymetric F1s after being disappointed with the Falkens on my 16s. After a lot of deliberating, I went for OEM ‘04 17s.

For the last few months I have been trying to make a decision regarding suspension. I liked the feel of TommyS2000's car on MeisterRs but also have a fondness for the way AquilaEagle’s chavmobile drives. I have also driven lovegroova’s at North Weald and liked his setup. They both have adjustable Bilsteins.

I did quite a bit of research aided by a couple of very helpful forum members. I probably drove you insane I began looking into non adjustable Bilsteins. I considered saving up the extra for the adjustables but after a few lengthy discussions with Julian at Balance Motorsport, opted for the Bilstein B14 Monotube Coilover Kit. After making the purchase, I was concerned that I might have made the wrong decision.

On Wednesday, the Billies were fitted and new geometry set by the two Tonys at Wheels in Motion. They have a beautiful new unit in the Atomic building at Milton Keynes. They did a very thorough job and commented that they certainly earn their money when they work on S2000s!

Unfortunately my engine light illuminated shortly after leaving WiM so I took it very easy on the way home. My first observation was that the car felt delicately dampened and not in any way harsh. In fact very refined. Initially I noticed that the steering felt rather light with the new geo, which I didn’t like at first as I’m used to plenty of resistance on the steering wheel.

Last night I took the car over to lovegroova’s (he said he heard me coming from miles away) so that he could diagnose, with his code reader, the cause of my CEL, which turned out to be an existing problem. Once he’d sorted it, we put the suspension and set up through its paces. I am blown away with what he got out of the car. Seeing what he achieved has really given me so much confidence in the abilities of the car and of his of course. With this new confidence, I had an amazing drive home.

Goodbye body roll, pitch and yaw!! I love the way it doesn’t dip on braking and how it’s flat on flat out corners. I am relieved that it isn’t a bone shaker. Lovegroova and I tested it on a number of different road surfaces. I love the enhanced road feel and it is a pleasure to drive on uneven surfaces.

I am not very adept at putting something that I feel through the seat of my pants into words. I always admire people who are able to articulate these feelings and the reasons for them but I’m ecstatic and love the car more than ever.

There is plenty of cosmetic work that needs to be done to my S but I am not going to worry about that. I am now saving up for more driving tuition and track days. I cannot wait to get it on track.

Happy Saz

Old 05-18-2012, 05:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

(makes mental note to sort out that TCT)
Old 05-18-2012, 05:38 AM

Thanks eSeM
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Just to add, the CEL was due to the decat and my Android phone Torque app (and bluetooth reader thing) was able to diagnose and clear it very easily. you can get it here: Torque App

The exhaust is indeed very loud - I heard Saz arriving from some distance away despite being in my flat with the TV on. My 1930s windows were rattling as she parked up. As those who know me will have probably already guessed it's not really my cup of tea, certainly from the outside of the car

Inside the car, it certainly drones quite badly between 3k and 4krpm, so driving at over 70mph is recommended on motorways It's certainly not aided by the hideous rattling emanating from the TCT.

The wheel/tyre, suspension and geo set up (not sure on what settings were applied) are absolutely lovely, the car is superbly balanced and damped as I quickly discovered on my favourite junction 17 link road circuit Link here the cornering speeds on the roundabouts were high with no fuss whatsoever.

On the bumpier local roads, the ride is excellent, and the car is not unsettled over drains and so on.

Having driven Saz's I think I might adjust my road settings to a slightly stiffer setup.

If you want a "plug and play" solution to old and tired suspension, and you're not bothered about adjustability for track day use (although it would be more than fine for the occasional track-dayer), then I can highly recommend the Billies.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:29 AM

Sazzy - if you're in the Hertford area at any point, I'd be really interested to see it!

You've also made me very jealous that S20 is still sitting in a garage in lincolnshire. I really need to get the bits sorted to MOT!!!
Old 05-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

So lovegroova is going to be fiddling with his stiffness after seeing Sazzy

Really glad you're delighted with your new setup Saz, your car certainly is sickage
Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Good write up Saz, what's the new WiM premises like - is Tony effectively onsite running this one full time or is he back and forth between Chesham and MK?
Old 05-18-2012, 06:34 AM

Received 622 Likes on 544 Posts

Nice write up Saz, i'm planning on getting a full on refurb of my suspension with bushes and coilovers as my car is now 10 and needs some tlc.

She's currently in the bodyshop having the back end painted and a few dings removed, this is next on my list but i like the idea of adjustable
Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the part number of the non-adjustables? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:52 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
What's the part number of the non-adjustables? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
It's in the Bilstein catalogue http://web1.carparts...80018004&12=140

http://web1.carparts...80018004&12=140

47-080386

Quick Reply: Sazzy's Suspension