UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

HEL Braided Brake Lines - Avoid (for now at least!)

Old 04-29-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HEL Braided Brake Lines - Avoid (for now at least!)

Bought a set of these from Tegiwa a few weeks and then tried to get them fitted at TGM last week. Disappointed to get a call saying the thread engagement in to the factory hardline fittings is much less than it should be, only around 3 turns rather than the factory 9 or so. TGM advised that I should not fit them, as it could be a serious safety issue, so I have returned to Tegiwa. The back story seems to be that HEL have recently changed the design of the fitting, and it isn't really suitable. Definitely avoid until they get on top of this issue! And if you've bought any recently probably worth a sanity check on the thread engagement, particularly if you didn't fit them yourself.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did Tom suggest/fit an alternative?
Old 04-29-2018, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-Phil
Did Tom suggest/fit an alternative?
My plan is to fit some of TGM's own lines next time I'm there, unfortunately they didn't have any in stock. Didn't realise they made their own (in fact it's their design made by another company, but still) - I would have just got those from the start!
Old 04-29-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Had HEL and Goodridge hydraulic lines over the years and HEL used to be reliable, superior products. Shame to hear they’ve made what sounds like a design cock up!
Old 04-29-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by TangoVTEC
Had HEL and Goodridge hydraulic lines over the years and HEL used to be reliable, superior products. Shame to hear they’ve made what sounds like a design cock up!
agreed, I’ve also used them before and they’ve been good - I’m sure they’ll get it sorted, but I wouldn’t go buying any just yet!

Also heard this has affected other Honda models BTW.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by alexrobinson202
My plan is to fit some of TGM's own lines next time I'm there, unfortunately they didn't have any in stock. Didn't realise they made their own (in fact it's their design made by another company, but still) - I would have just got those from the start!
Good to know. I was going to go to Fleet for a set of HELs to be fitted, so perhaps now with some advanced notice, they will get their own in stock.
Old 05-03-2018, 03:12 AM

Got Hel lines fitted to my s this week. my mechanic experienced no issues
Old 05-05-2018, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I've got some coming in the post right now. So what exactly should i be looking out for?
Old 05-06-2018, 12:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually as a rule of thumb, you achieve max thread strength with ~1.25x thread diameter, often less depending on thread pitch etc. May be worth checking with Hel that someone has done the calculation to confirm the thread length is adequate, especially if you've just bought some...
Old 05-06-2018, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Donforce
Hmm, I've got some coming in the post right now. So what exactly should i be looking out for?
As above post, basically just check the thread length of the HEL lines against your OEM ones at the fitting that attaches to the car hard line.

Quick Reply: HEL Braided Brake Lines - Avoid (for now at least!)