UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Seat cushions swapped and bolster repaired

Old 05-12-2011, 07:12 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Zipties are great until the weather gets cold and they get brittle - they will snap. Hogrings are easy enough to work with as long as you keep your skin away from the pliers - always end up with at least one blue pinch bruise when doing something like this.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reused the hog rings when i did this, bit more effort but as fester said they should last longer in the long run.

I swapped the leather and foam across from the drivers side to the passenger side so I have a 'new' seat on the driverside.

It's not worn a bit since, I think it's poor technique/laziness/fat people that cause the massive crumpling to the foam.

Good 'mod'
Old 05-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Are u suggesting that one might be fat !!!!!

I keep forgetting that the S is only for people with skinny arse's

Mods, this is becoming a fatist thread .

I m going to look at doing this ASAP, thats if i can bend down to undo the seat bolts.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was very dubious about how easy this would be, but it is very easy and a nice job to do in the sunshine. Seats can be lifted out easily by one person - keep an eye on your paintwork when moving them though, especially on the drivers side. I was expecting to scratch the car but managed not to
Old 06-13-2011, 07:05 AM

This post came up at just the right time for me, as it was next on my 'to do' list!

When replacing the seat cover I found that the leather had stretched, and that it was not possible to obtain the correct tension with the original hog rings, so cable ties were used instead (I can see no way these will ever break!). The picture shows the ties in position before trimming.

One advantage of doing this job is that you can give the cockpit a thorough clean. The seats were treated with Auto Glym leather cleaner and leather care cream, and came up a treat. I have never been happy with vinyl cleaners, as they always left smears. Then I noticed that the leather care cream was also suitable for textured vinyl, and every surface was treated and came up like new!

The finished job, and as others have said, it's like having new sets.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Neil- come do mine please !!!

Old 06-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Razz you are overestimating the technical requirements of this either that or you're being lazy
Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 PM

When you say repair the bolster with sponge and tape what exactly do you mean - just stuff some more sponges in the bolster area of is there a more skilled approach - anyone got any photos as it's one of my jobs for the coming weekend?

Can you not see or feel the "repair" or tape through the leather or is it thick enough to hide such imperfections?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:31 PM

That's about it David - sponge, gaffer tape and no - you won't see the repair through the leather. Earlier cars are thicker leather than the newer ones too and because the outer edge of the drivers seat becomes the inner edge of the passenger one .... the repair is even harder to spot and there is no wear placed on the repaired bit once they are swapped over
Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 AM

Just as a point of interest, I found that I had to tear the sponge into very small pieces to get a nice smooth finish. If you try stuffing in large pieces you get a very lumpy finish.

Quick Reply: Seat cushions swapped and bolster repaired