S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   UK & Ireland S2000 Community (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/)
-   -   Seized front brake caliper? (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/seized-front-brake-caliper-1188622/)

tommys2k? 10-02-2018 01:05 PM

Seized front brake caliper?

Hi chaps,

This weekend I did my first ever DIY brake discs and pads change on the front of my s2k, I went for Bremtech discs and OEM pads.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.s2k...7e9b53d891.jpg

(Have no fear, it's on 1 layer of gravel which is compacted with concrete underneath, the main jack is also in place centrally)

Anyway, it all went pretty well apart from the stubborn retaining screws holding the discs in place, total nightmare to get off! Got there in the end though.

Once I saw what I was doing, it actually made sense and I'm glad I took the time to do it myself. I also got some silicone grease and gave both sliders a good service on each side. Nice and free now :)

Anyway.. I did the passenger side first and it all went brilliantly, the caliper piston pushed right back flush without much pressure at all applied, (master cylinder cap off, levels checked..)

Then I did the drivers side, and the piston did not retract so it was flush. It stuck out about 5mm at a guess. No amount of pressure was getting it in, I had a good sized G clamp on it. This meant that the new pads I had, would not physically fit.

In the end, I had to use the old pads on that side, which luckily still have a good bit of meat on them, but not ideal at all to have 2 x new discs, one side new pads, one side old pads!

It's driving fine and the braking noise I had has completely gone now, but I now need to solve this problem, does this mean I have a seized caliper, and just need to buy a new one?

... I should have shares in brakes international the amount I have bought off them recently! Luckily I think fronts are slightly cheaper than rears?

Thanks guys,
Tom

plastic91 10-02-2018 01:19 PM

I had a similar incident not too long ago when I decided to change all my discs and pads. One of my front caliper was apparently deformed and the piston no longer fits. Luckily the works was done by Ray at Daytona Autos and he had a used caliper lying around. Two weeks later, one of my rear caliper seized too. I think seized calipers are a very common problem for hondas.

tommys2k? 10-02-2018 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by plastic91 (Post 24517895)
I had a similar incident not too long ago when I decided to change all my discs and pads. One of my front caliper was apparently deformed and the piston no longer fits. Luckily the works was done by Ray at Daytona Autos and he had a used caliper lying around. Two weeks later, one of my rear caliper seized too. I think seized calipers are a very common problem for hondas.

Interesting, thanks man. It seems a weak point indeed are the calipers, especially the rears due to their 'turn' threaded design.

I've had a rear seize up on me but luckily I noticed it when driving and was only 2 miles from home at that point. Got a new rear caliper.

Now 2 x new discs and pads on the front,

Looks like I need a new front caliper, too! To be fair, the car is 18 years old so it's probably to be expected, just annoying haha.

tommys2k? 10-04-2018 12:56 PM

Any UK paid s2k members had any luck with the brakes international discount code thing? Not had any luck yet!

tozerman 10-04-2018 11:33 PM

I have bought calipers from Brakes International before and in my opinion they are average at best. If I had my time again I would buy oem .about twice the price but three times the quality :LOL:

silverspark 10-05-2018 04:06 AM

They are relatively easy to strip down compared to the rears.
Have you considered a caliper refurbishment kit (pistons & seals) ?
I did mine a few years ago & no issues since

tommys2k? 10-16-2018 03:04 PM

Embarassingly, I've never done it. This is my daily driver at the moment so unless that changes (hopefully getting a winter runaround) soon I could maybe have a go! Thanks