UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Seized Geo Bolts... On every axle

Old 05-22-2017, 05:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Seized Geo Bolts... On every axle

As the title said, the dreaded seized up geo bolts. I've read the FAQs but I just wanted some folks opinions on my two options:

Option 1) Buy second hand suspension arms, strip them, paint them, fit poly bushes all around

Option 2) Buy new arms with Honda bushes in them

The car will be seeing spirited driving and occasional track use (3 days a year maybe) - however at the moment it is also my daily, so have to bare that in mind. Roads aren't terrible where I live in a town.. Not great, but certainly not terrible.

Option three was try and remove my arms and fit them up with poly's, but I cannot risk something going wrong due to the car being my daily drive and needing it for work.

Costs:

Option 1: £700-£800
Option 2: £1000-£1200 for the arms

I am leaning toward option one - in my opinion this will give a better ride and at the end of the day the arm is just a lump of metal.. The bush is what's doing all the work.

Really would value everyones input please
Old 05-22-2017, 05:43 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Option 1 - without a doubt.
Get the bolts from USA
Get Strongflex bushes
Give the arms a good lick of por15
Jobs a good un.

The job will take a competent garage a minimum of 2 days. Just depends how seized they are...

On a side note - I do have some bolts left over when I had all mine done the other month.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

:-)
Old 05-22-2017, 06:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks guys, I had thought Option one made most sense.. But its nice to have others confirm I've a mate with a press who works in a garage, so we can just pootle about and get the new arms ready over a few evenings and then hopefully swap them out in a day with the car on the ramp...
Old 05-22-2017, 06:48 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm sure someone post a link to replacement arms with rubber bushes for a very reasonable cost. They weren't OEM parts but had good reviews. It may be another cost effective option.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Buy Mugen or Spoon rubber bushes. Polybush will be a pain in the arse and require maintenance. Also with Poly you would need to do every bush, with rubber just the lower control stuff. Fit and forget for rubber.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by har-vey
I'm sure someone post a link to replacement arms with rubber bushes for a very reasonable cost. They weren't OEM parts but had good reviews. It may be another cost effective option.
Pretty sure that was www.importcarparts.co.uk that I had bookmarked "just in case" - when I looked recently they seem to have no S2000 parts listed and if you search importcarparts on here the links are now dead.

The DIY option is the most rewarding but you really don't want to do it twice The bushes are difficult to get at and an angle grinder for where you can get to the bolts and a reciprocating saw for where you can't is your best bet ( plus an assistant to squirt cutting oil otherwise you'll dull a fair few blades)

You should only need the lower arm bushes with the adjusters - the upper arms and the front of the rear lower wishbone should be undo-able. It does take some time and you'll need to find somewhere with a press if you're going for Spoon/Mugen so that kinda rules option 3 out if you need the transport. Although option 1 are you talking about your arms being "disposable" ? I would have dearly like to cut through the arms as they are cast rather then high tensile this will speed up removal no end !

It's good to know what you need up front rather than buying the full set of cam nuts/bolts and sleeves only to find you didn't need £150 worth of those bits - when I did mine I think some of the nuts were £40-odd ( part no 14 here https://www.tegiwaimports.com/index....pension-bolts/ ) and if you can re-use those that's the cost of a Mugen compliance bush pair saved.

Also budget for some ARB drop links - you'll probably have to cut them off ( and while you're there you may as well do the ARB bushes too )
Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mtunreal
Buy Mugen or Spoon rubber bushes. Polybush will be a pain in the arse and require maintenance.
Eh? I was one of the first on here to completely poly bush my car and in the last 10 years I have never had to do any maintenance on them.

If I had gone for Mugen or Spoon I would probably have needed to re-grease them every few years to stop them from seizing ... just like the OEM bushes.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM
Eh? I was one of the first on here to completely poly bush my car and in the last 10 years I have never had to do any maintenance on them.

If I had gone for Mugen or Spoon I would probably have needed to re-grease them every few years to stop them from seizing ... just like the OEM bushes.
​​​​​​I think they meant the squeaking that can incur if they dry out. Also why wouldn't they seize since the poly bush has a metal sleeve that the bolt could seize to? I know it'd still be adjustable but would need cutting out if for some reason they needed off.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nomadicS2k
Option 1 - without a doubt.
Get the bolts from USA
Get Strongflex bushes
Give the arms a good lick of por15
Jobs a good un.

The job will take a competent garage a minimum of 2 days. Just depends how seized they are...

On a side note - I do have some bolts left over when I had all mine done the other month.
Need all the bolts for the new lower front wishbones with 3 rubbers all in place....

Best place (aka cheapest source of best parts!!) to buy?

Please..

Quick Reply: Seized Geo Bolts... On every axle