UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Seized Geo Bolts... On every axle

Old 05-22-2017, 12:08 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Are the bushes actually seized? How long did you spend trying to free them?

Daytona Dave recommended an Air hammer on the bolts and seemed to have good success. I think the key is you need shock to break the corrosion free and trying to do that with a ratchet on the bolt isn't going to cut the mustard. It needs to be pummelled into submission
Old 05-22-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
Pretty sure that was www.importcarparts.co.uk that I had bookmarked "just in case" - when I looked recently they seem to have no S2000 parts listed and if you search importcarparts on here the links are now dead.
I ordered a set last month (about £220 the pair delivered) and they arrived next day really good looking items - Due to go on the car in june when I can get a slot at Grinspeed to do a bunch of other stuff as well as all lower bushes/and geo as my compliance bushes were ont he way out - and my rear toe arms came up as an advisory on my MOT before christmas (they were fine in July when she was serviced - ah well)...

The website is all there - they just dont have the S2000 parts listed - they do say ring them as they do have stock

"We are busy adding parts for this category. Please try another category, or bookmark this page and try again soon.

We do have stock held for your vehicle, so please get in touch via phone or email as below if you would like to discuss your requirements:

Phone: 01388 834204
Email: info@importcarparts.co.uk

New parts are being added daily to the website so please check back often.
"
I did - and got a pair of brand new prebushed arms at a great price ;-)

S.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish TuneR
​​​​​​Also why wouldn't they seize since the poly bush has a metal sleeve that the bolt could seize to? I know it'd still be adjustable but would need cutting out if for some reason they needed off.
The sleeves on the poly bushes I have are alloy and as I said above they haven't been touched since I installed them 10 years ago (and the car has been aligned every couple of years)

The sleeves on the OEM, Mugen and Spoon bushes are steel.

I am not aware of anyone having a seized poly bush.

:-)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:37 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

tbh if grease was used, any type grease at all - ear wax would probabaly have done the job, from the factory this wouldn't be a thing with any type of sleeve material. If you grease when you refit you'll be fine.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In answer to a few of the questions...

I didn't try and loosen them; I've a friend who works for a garage with a Hunter, he sets up a lot of the local drift cars and generally appears to know what he's on about. One of the bolts snapped a socket.. Which to be fair, says more about his socket than the bolts I dare say... However, he said he was practically hanging off of the breaker bar and they were not coming loose....

I may well purchase an impact gun and try a couple anyway and see what happens, but I think the best way to go is going be to buy some second hand arms, press the old bushes out and then poly them up.

Thank you for all the opinions.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:15 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM
The sleeves on the poly bushes I have are alloy and as I said above they haven't been touched since I installed them 10 years ago (and the car has been aligned every couple of years)

Ah right, got ya.
@ Matt1783 Also as previously said try one of these first, it might free them up with some shock therapy.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish TuneR
Ah right, got ya.
@ Matt1783 Also as previously said try one of these first, it might free them up with some shock therapy.
I have no access to compressed air fella However, there is a 240v plug in air hammer available on Amazon for a very reasonable £60... If nothing else, it'l make taking my wheels off quicker.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:19 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM

It may be that you took time and trouble and fitted them with a lot of care but it is actually very common for people to have problems with polly type bushes i have read a fair few threads where people complain of squeaking which is caused by stiction if anyone with pollys suffer from this then the suspension isn't working correctly, to keep them working 100% correctly they need removing cleaning and re-greasing every so often as most don't take the care you have when fitting them
Old 05-23-2017, 04:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona-Dave
It may be that you took time and trouble and fitted them with a lot of care but it is actually very common for people to have problems with polly type bushes i have read a fair few threads where people complain of squeaking which is caused by stiction if anyone with pollys suffer from this then the suspension isn't working correctly, to keep them working 100% correctly they need removing cleaning and re-greasing every so often as most don't take the care you have when fitting them
This, mine were awful and I would never have a car with poly bushes again. I would just replace the whole arms with oem ones and be done with it, especially in this country with the way the roads are.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been in the same boat and buying up the bits gradually/when they became available.

Front arms are available cheap (non OEM) from a variety of sellers, rears are not.

2 x new front lower arms: Rexobo €239.98 EUR - delivered within 5 days
2 x lower rear arms: £90 each (2nd hand but bushes are in good condition)
2 x rear control arms £30 each (again 2nd hand)
All bolts front and rear £120 (same seller as rear wishbones, all good condition)

£560 in total, just need to put aside a week to cut off all the old bolts and fit the new parts!

Quick Reply: Seized Geo Bolts... On every axle